What clubs have great food

D

Deleted Member 1156

There’s a halfway hut at Hayling ?:unsure:
I was referring to the ones served in the clubhouse. Although when I left Hayling they were talking about building a halfway hut, don't know if they have done that yet.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The breakfast bap at Walton Heath was superb - as were the beef and ham sanwiches

Saunton - last time i went with Roch and the Rod - the lunches were awesome - a huge platefull of lovely fresh tastyness! Can't remember what I had as there were about 10 things that appealed but the couple i did have were great and the others looked equally as good

D

Deleted member 15344

I think I knew that already but I'm still intrigued :D.

Cost is relevant imo. It is special occasion stuff and I am all for that but I do think an element of perspective should come in to it

It’s normally all part of a golf package as opposed to just purchasing a lunch there - not many of the clubs highlighted here will be providing these carverys like a restaurant, you normally get 18 holes then a lunch for example

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wetherby, Selby and Moortown

Sample menu
Starters

Roasted Tomato and Paprika Soup with Fresh Basil

Spanish Style Fresh King Prawns with Chorizo, Roasted Red Peppers and Rosemary in a Lightly Warmed Olive Oil with Ciabatta.

Home Made Confit of Duck Rillette with Cornichons, Rocket and Warm Buttered Baguette.

Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce with Confit of Plum Tomato and Parmesan Flutes with Aged Balsamic,

Main Courses

7 Hr Braised Steak Diane with Tarragon Mashed Potatoes and Crispy Parsnip.

Pan Fried Seabream with a Julienne of Vegetables Marinated in Lemon and Thyme with Lyonaise Potatoes and a White wine and Dill Cream Sauce.

Pan Fried Chicken Breast Stuffed with Feta and Olives with a Tangy Tomato Salsa, Sautéed New Potatoes and Pesto.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Garden Pea and Forest Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Oil

Sweets

Pear and Ginger Crème Brule Trifle with Crushed Amaretti.

Chocolate and Shortbread Cream Crunch with Candied Orange and Kahlua

Selection of Cheese and Biscuits with Celery and Chutney

Selection of Ice Cream and Sorbet Served in a Brandy Snap Basket with Fresh Fruit Coulis.

Not for me. This is poncy restaurant food, not golf club food. My club has been going down this route, and is the worse for it. If I want to go out to eat, I will go to a restaurant. At a golf club, I want simple food. A good egg mayo sandwich would be fine. With decent bread.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I tend to agree... our place focuses mainly on "what do folk want to eat when they come in?" Sandwiches, Toasties, basket meals for £6 that frankly are enough for 2 people, curry, chilli....and being Wales "half n'arf" much in evidence! Sunday lunch is more traditional, and great quality, but they can do "fancy" when required for functions. But on the whole, "great job!"

My old club at Bowood went "Bistro" went the hotel opened. I didn't want Clam and Mullet Pasta after quick 9 holes on a Wednesday after work

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Yeah I agree too. Nothing wrong with nice food but let's be honest, there are people on here that grudge paying for a drink afterwards so they are hardly going to spend £20 on a main course. As already said, most people want a decent sandwich with chips, a burger, ham egg and chips etc.

D

Deleted member 1147

Ashbourne golf club, in Derbyshire.

Mike Burton, the steward, does some great food - the fish & chips are excellent (and decent value)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn Dunbar do a nice plateful, my clubs is terrible and has gotten worse over the years. used to be quite good and value for money, though the carvery is quite good. we have followed the Castle Stuart model of overpriced with little quality in return. In saying that when CS opened the food was good, now its 3 chips served on a roof slate

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nairn Dunbar do a nice plateful, my clubs is terrible and has gotten worse over the years. used to be quite good and value for money, though the carvery is quite good. we have followed the Castle Stuart model of overpriced with little quality in return. In saying that when CS opened the food was good, now its 3 chips served on a roof slate

Boils my pi$$ that! what's wrong with plate!