What causes this pain when practicing?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Theres a swing fault I know but after just half a dozen balls I get this pain at the lower back just above the left hip, I suppose I need to video to see but I'm doing something wrong with the hips and its causing this pain, just wondered if anyone had experience of what swing fault causes it?

my thoughts without seeing myself I think I'm early extending with a hip slide- could this be the culprit?

D

Deleted member 3432

Theres a swing fault I know but after just half a dozen balls I get this pain at the lower back just above the left hip, I suppose I need to video to see but I'm doing something wrong with the hips and its causing this pain, just wondered if anyone had experience of what swing fault causes it?

my thoughts without seeing myself I think I'm early extending with a hip slide- could this be the culprit?

Ask any Osteopath and he will probably say this is a common problem with golfers. I had had similar niggles in the same spot over the years. When it bothers me I go see the Osteopath and re-start doing the exercises I should have been doing in the first place to protect that area.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

If you are sliding your right hip to the right and reverse pivoting (trying to keep your head over the ball whilst the right hip slides to the right)... then yes it's a possibility.

If you are early extending that's just your body's natural instinct way of trying to stop you injuring yourself.

Something isn't quite right if you are early extending.. ideally 2 vids.. one from face on and one looking from down the target line.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
cheers fellas, a video this weekend in the light if I can then. If I consciously get the left hip moving back over the left heel (or feel like I am) its not sore......and I get a better strike especially the driver which was going well tonight.
When theres pain I usually thin or hit an iron on the upswing (protecting it again possibly?).

a video will help plus I've wanted to see my swing for ages- think I might be in for a shock :rofl:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
How do you get on when you rotate your right hip properly?

If you put a club across your chest and practice turning the club down to the ball with your right hip going BEHIND you does it cause any pain? You don't need to get quite this steep :eek: but the grip end of the club should point somewhere between the ball and that stick on the ground 5ft away.

four%20foot%20zone.png

This guy has the grip pointing about a foot and a half past the ball and that's intense! Too much even for me :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How do you get on when you rotate your right hip properly?

If you put a club across your chest and practice turning the club down to the ball with your right hip going BEHIND you does it cause any pain? You don't need to get quite this steep :eek: but the grip end of the club should point somewhere between the ball and that stick on the ground 5ft away.

four%20foot%20zone.png

This guy has the grip pointing about a foot and a half past the ball and that's intense! Too much even for me :D

no problem doing that and no pain, appears to stem from whatever I'm doing from the top

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Update- James I think you are probably spot on with a small reverse pivot. Doing the 'drill' you posted works fine but thats a drill, in the real world of hitting a ball (we all know how different that is to our practice swings sometimes) I definitley felt myself with a small reverse at the left hip even though the hips had turned right. I held the position and thats where the pain is coming from.

It probably explains the thins or hitting up on some irons or even the flipping of some Tee shots as my brain is trying to get the club back square but I'm already too far left and ahead of the ball.

So now I just need a simple drill to stop it which I can groove in with one practice session.

I'd imagine a video would have made it really obvious, another reason we should all video our swings.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Update- James I think you are probably spot on with a small reverse pivot. Doing the 'drill' you posted works fine but thats a drill

Hehe.......

That 'drill' with the shaft across your chest that I posted IS a backswing, it's not a drill :p

That is what it's supposed to be, for a one-plane swing. The more you do it the more you are rehearsing a proper backswing, right hip turns behind you, shoulders tilt down towards the ball... that's it. Left arm sits across your shoulder line.

With your arms in postion it looks like this...

inil02_kuchar_swing.jpg

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hehe.......

That 'drill' with the shaft across your chest that I posted IS a backswing, it's not a drill :p

well he's holding the club the wrong way:smirk:

Its a rehearsal drill or whatever you want to call it but I understand what you are saying- I also understand its part of a swing.

Point is its no problem doing that but it is during a real swing but I think I already said that:p main thing is it's identified and I can fix it now very quickly- Thank you.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
well he's holding the club the wrong way:smirk:

Ha! You confused me there.. I thought you were saying that you're a leftie :mad: :p

That move is the backswing, from there you just gently feel yourself 'fall' into your left side before starting to rotate, then as your left side rotates your whole right side turns through together practically mimicking that backswing move on the way through, no twisting or firing of the hips, just a 'rotation in a slight lateral direction' so to speak. That's about as complex as it needs to be, it's all the other things that we think we need to tweak that adds problems to an otherwise easy movement.

The feeling you should have is the right hip goes back behind you, your shoulders turn down towards the ball somewhat, your left knee bends a little as the right hips goes back and your left hip feels somewhat 'supported' over your left leg instead of being crunched or twisted or precariously supporting too much upper body weight. Should help you keep your head over the ball too.

Funny actually that you sometimes see people doing rotations back and forth with a club across their chest as a 'warm up' before they play, then when they actually make a swing it's more like a box of frogs :D

Last edited: