What ball do you use?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
TM TP5 for me. It's very similar to other premium balls by and large but seems to perform a bit better in the wind.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with this: Any premium ball, I don't think there's enough difference between them to make it worthwhile sticking to one variety.

I don't think at my 10 hcp sticking to one ball makes much difference having used nearly all the market premium balls at one point in time. I do prefer the clicky feeling of the ProV1x but I wouldn't say I'd only ever use this ball.

I can't remember the last time I needed to purchase a golf ball? I get enough new balls from society days and then playing with what I find to ever warrant spending cash on balls. I currently have three buckets full of found balls of all makes and models that will last me a few years!

The one thing I do though is if im playing in a comp I'll pull out 3/4 of the same ball for that round so I am using the same balls for that round but it could a different ball to the last round.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used the 2017 AD333 Balls throughout Winter, only lost 2 or 3 of them and they all look brand new, these balls are indestructible. Probably put the rest away for next Winter as they are Yellow.

For practice rounds during the week I'm using whatever decent practice ball I pull out of the bag and once the ground starts firming up again I've got over a Dozen 2017 Z Star to be used from last season.

It's just really about what you can afford to lose, I don't know my swing speed but I'll be using Srixon's until I see a major reason to swap as they are affordable and seem to be good quality too.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
A couple of years ago I was playing Srixon AD333. Found a new Srixon Soft Feel, tried it, felt a bit different, poorer shots didn't seem so wayward.
About a month later I went to the range to test the latest Ping irons, so had the Trackman set up. During the session I asked the Pro if we could 'test' some balls, he was interested as he had not had this request before.
I had half a dozen, used, but decent and serviceable, of each ball. I used a 7 iron, hit the 6 AD333s, then the 6 Soft Feels. I was not allowed to view the results after each hit, they were shielded from me.
The conclusion was that I averaged 78mph club head speed, 94mph ball speed and the AD333 averaged 2 yards of extra carry.
But the BIG difference was the spin and dispersion figures, with the Soft Feel generating more spin and hence a straighter flight.
Job done, the test and the Pro backed up my belief that the Soft Feel was a better ball for me. And cheaper.
Played it ever since, but now looking at evaluating the Ultisoft.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd been using chrome softs most of last spring/summer but moved to TP5s beginning of Sept 17 as they were on special for a few sleeves when down playing at Cuddinton for the H4H week, then following day 3rd place at Hankley. Shot 77 in the freezing wind at Sharpley GC in Dec and never looked back since. For me they go straighter off the driver with less side spin, penetrate the wind, which is important as most of golf in the North East it seems to be blowing a hoolie all the time or at least when I play golf... spins great around the greens too and soft on the putter face. might not be cheap but they've paid me back with some great rounds :thup:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During the winter and bounce round I just use my dx2 which I love

But for Society events, in the nicer weather, I bring out the pro v1s and tp5s

Got 2 sleeves pro v1 and 8 sleeves tp5 I take one sleeve per event and come away with maybe 1 ball down max these days. Then they go in the bounce bag

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I never thought I would look back to the days I lost balls as 'good old times' Now I loose very few over the year I am left with lots of scuffed balls with no idea what to do with them.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the TM TP5.

I like the feel off the putter, the performance around the greens. Expensive for something that you could loose a dozen in a few hours but as someone who doesn’t loose many I like to have in my opinion the best ball out there.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd been using chrome softs most of last spring/summer but moved to TP5s beginning of Sept 17 as they were on special for a few sleeves when down playing at Cuddinton for the H4H week, then following day 3rd place at Hankley. Shot 77 in the freezing wind at Sharpley GC in Dec and never looked back since. For me they go straighter off the driver with less side spin, penetrate the wind, which is important as most of golf in the North East it seems to be blowing a hoolie all the time or at least when I play golf... spins great around the greens too and soft on the putter face. might not be cheap but they've paid me back with some great rounds :thup:

Really, the ball made you win these comps or play well?

I remember at Hankley I sliced a ball OOB so pulled out a different ball and did the same, why didn't the ball correct my bad swing?

I play Links golf so lots on wind but I do not think Ive seen different balls penetrate wind any differently, as much as people have said on this thread. I truly believe we're all making this harder than it needs to be by adding in another decision or choice on the use of a ball. The money/effort worrying about a ball would prob be better spent on the swing or lessons.

I'm going off on a tangent now but this could be one of those things that stops people getting into the game. Worrying about what ball to use. If you can swing a club half decently, it doesn't matter what ball you use. just enjoy the game more!!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vice Pro Plus.

Feels better, to me, putting and chipping than the ProV1/x I was using for a few years which is the only important part. Nobody's going to tell a difference off driver or irons out of the tour balls.

At £20 odd a dozen they're a no brainer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shocked! Thought you'd be a Commando player...

Once upon a time I decided to upgrade from Price's Everlasting to Penfold Commandos (as I got one in my Christmas stocking from santa).

These days it's any 'better' ball - but as I generally don't know which balls are supposed to be better than others (other than I know the Pro V1 and V1x are better) I can find myself playing pretty much anything that isn't too hard. Maybe I should pay more attention to the ball I use - but given the variation in my golf I can't be bothered.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
At the moment the tp5 Taylormade seems like a good alternative to the pro v1 especially if it doesn't spin as much on the driver ,making a bad shot worse

Big Bandito

Hacker
www.stevenagegolfclub.com
AD333 for me. Great all rounder ball, nice and cheap. Feels firmer off the driver and hybrids, but then somehow feels soft with short irons and round the green. For me, noticeably more spin off wedges than Ultisofts or Supersofts.