Training Aids - What do you use?

Bobby19

Visit site
Still fairly new to golf and I am getting lessons on a monthly basis but was just wondering what training aids does everyone use if any and what do you recommend to progress ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Carbite putter ball in the bedroom which is rarely used and a 6 iron with a training grip fitted which gets every few weeks.

The latter I feel is something everybody should have as it very easy to let the grip get out of position on the club and is often the reason for a poor ball flight.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a DST Compressor 8 iron which I use to hit a few balls to warm up at the range and a putt-out which I use on the rare occasion I practice at home.

Main training aid I use at the range is a flipped over range bucket with an alignment stick going through it to train my takeaway and stop me getting too inside. Works nicely, but do get some stares when I smack the alignment stick either on the way back or on the way down, can get quite loud :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Carbite putter ball in the bedroom which is rarely used and a 6 iron with a training grip fitted which gets every few weeks.

The latter I feel is something everybody should have as it very easy to let the grip get out of position on the club and is often the reason for a poor ball flight.
Everyone's grip is different though. :unsure:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a DST Compressor 8 iron which I use to hit a few balls to warm up at the range and a putt-out which I use on the rare occasion I practice at home.

Main training aid I use at the range is a flipped over range bucket with an alignment stick going through it to train my takeaway and stop me getting too inside. Works nicely, but do get some stares when I smack the alignment stick either on the way back or on the way down, can get quite loud :LOL:

Dan

Based on this and the other thread, I think we are exactly the same golfer 😂

Inside take away blighted me for years. I’ve used that very same practice aid many times and it works.

I’ve also knocked a range bucket into smithereens once (maybe twice...😂)

Would should start a support group for inside takeaway two iron thinners

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dan

Based on this and the other thread, I think we are exactly the same golfer 😂

Inside take away blighted me for years. I’ve used that very same practice aid many times and it works.

I’ve also knocked a range bucket into smithereens once (maybe twice...😂)

Would should start a support group for inside takeaway two iron thinners

Haha amazing. I have smashed a good couple of range buckets, and no matter how many times I drill the takeaway I still get way inside on occasion. When I get it right and I've been practicing hard working on my drills diligently I can hit the ball great, but if I get sloppy and stop practicing all hell starts to break loose :LOL: Feels like a constant battle!

D

Deleted member 16999

Have you got a link to that drill Dan?(y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Everyone's grip is different though. :unsure:
That's the point in the aid, to make it neutral/standard.
If you have a bad grip it can lead to poor technique in order to get the club back to square at impact.

It is for those seeking orthodoxy in their game - so probably not you!

Springveldt

Visit site
Tried loads of things over the last couple of years from swing sensors, weighted clubs, impact snap device, putting mirrors etc.

Sold off most of them now and I've just started using the Superspeed Golf swing sticks in the last week. Also have a PuttOut mat and pressure putter device which are great and I doubt I would ever sell as I go back to it every couple of weeks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bought one of those pool noodles for 2 quid at lidl during the week. Used it at the range this evening.

A towel on the ground behind the ball is my most used and beneficial swing aid.

Also have a swing gyde and putting mirror but don't use either anymore.