What ball do you use?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Have been using Srixon Ad333's all winter, but had a gapping session last week and my pro told me that at my swing speed (82mph with wedges), that I would benefit from using the Chromesoft.
Which I can't argue with as that's my summer ball. :) I'll probably use it all through the year now though.
I do find that using the same ball consistently benefits my putting and chipping. I get a lot more feel around the greens after a bit.

Incidentally, he also mentioned that unless you have a swing speed of 110mph+ then it's unlikely you'd get any benefit from using a ProV1. Not sure if that's correct, but he's the pro!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With a slower swing speed look at some of the ball specifically designed for players with slower swing speed.

I and a couple of my mates with similar swing speeds use Bridgestone B330RXS (summer) and Bridgestone B330 RX (winter)

Also worth trying TaylorMade Project (a)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I generally use Callaway Supersoft or similar as they're less likely to damage the faces of my vintage woods.

I do find it takes a few holes to get used to the transition from putting with harder balls (be that cheaper such as AD333 or dearer such as Pro V1) to supersoft balls, although I'm pretty convinced that that's feel only and that they will all roll out to similar distances.

To be honest I'm not keen on the supersoft balls when it comes to putting, almost feels like hitting a wet teabag.

D

Deleted member 15344

Swapped to the TP5X this year - used the ProV1X for years before

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been a big advocate of the ChromeSoft in recent years but 4 rounds with the new 2018 version and I'm afraid that I'll be switching to something else once all the discount shops run out of stock of the previous model.

The new model feels harsh, doesn't fly as well, is clicky around the greens.....just not a nice golf ball at all. I desperately wanted to like it because once you find a ball variant that you get on with you should try to stick with it, but Callaway have destroyed the ChromeSoft for me in much the same way that TM screwed up the original Penta.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Whatever premium ball is currently on offer. Bought a few doz Mizuno MPS before the season started, and when they're just about gone I'll look for whichever premium ball is on offer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whatever premium ball is currently on offer. Bought a few doz Mizuno MPS before the season started, and when they're just about gone I'll look for whichever premium ball is on offer.
Pretty much this from me as well; but always had a soft spot for using the srixon z-star for no reason at all.

I have played 2 rounds with the TP5x and i must say to my eye it seems to fly a bit better for me in the wind. This could be complete nonsense so more testing will be needed to see if this holds any truth.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Some good replys ,keep them coming .a shame to hear that about the Callaway chrome soft 2018 I was fancying trying them I won't bother now .

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if you separate balls out between distance/mid range/premium balls, then there is little between any ball that falls into the area you are looking at. I play premium balls in summer and could happily use any of them. In winter I use a cheaper version such as DX3 (used to use the DX2 but the slightly better version is cheap enough and more predictable around the greens for me).

So little between balls these days, we are spoiled for choice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a mid handicapper I'm using a Srixon AD333 tour for the winter as it's reasonably firm off the tee and gives me good control with approach shots and pitches and chips. Once we get firmer fairways and greens I'll swap to a premium ball, usually Chromesoft, ProV or the TP5

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not a fan of wine gum feeling soft balls. May be once, but not now. My preference is proV1x, or TP5x, but have not yet tried the hex chrome X. ProV1 are fine, as are other similar balls, but not as nice as the x version.

I am getting to like a bit of clickyness. No idea why.

Cue a song: what a feeling....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Also, I find proV1x to last better than most. I have tried balls at a slightly cheaper price point, nxt tour for instance, and they get chewed up after a couple of holes. No value there then.