What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually don’t like it when it’s to quiet.
Any sudden noise then seems louder.
Known as Colin Montgomery’s ear ,he could hear a pin drop.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes. If I have stood quietly and patiently and allowed my PPs to putt out without distraction I bloody well expect them to offer me the same courtesy rather than wander about in my peripheral vision or start moving their bag and trolley. By all means move to the most efficient part of the green to exit it, mark cards etc... just do not distract me.

If your society are happy with it that’s fine, I would say something, in the same way I would if someone was disappearing up the fairway before I hit my tee shot.

But if they've left the green surely they are outside your peripheral vision, so they can do things like mark a card without distracting you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh my giddy aunt how did I miss this...

Number 1 in the article is IMO a total vindication of HNSP on tee shots...

Yes - I recall very clearly the dismissal it received and scorn of so many on here in my insistence that it existed and that it was etiquette absolutely valid and relevant today...and yet the pushback I and one or two others (DfT specifically) received was indeed something to behold - as were the lengths of the two threads in which it was bashed around the forum.??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and BTW. If your ball is within say 10ft of the hole but it is not you to putt, please just mark and pick up your ball. You don’t need to be asked, and certainly don‘t question any request by a player to do so if you haven’t already marked it (see also ‘tending the flag’ ?)

RichA

Visit site
...and BTW. If your ball is within say 10ft of the hole but it is not you to putt, please just mark and pick up your ball. You don’t need to be asked, and certainly don‘t question any request by a player to do so if you haven’t already marked it (see also ‘tending the flag’ ?)
Unless it's clearly close to my line, I'd rather you left it where it was or just putted out.
I can understand it if the stakes are high, but I'm generally playing for recreation or have put £1 into the pot for one of the 50 or so low stakes competitions.
We all have our quirks and preferences. Being in a group of 3 or 4 where every putt is marked and played in strict order of distance is, for me, like wearing full dinner suit for a pub meal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless it's clearly close to my line, I'd rather you left it where it was or just putted out.
I can understand it if the stakes are high, but I'm generally playing for recreation or have put £1 into the pot for one of the 50 or so low stakes competitions.
We all have our quirks and preferences. Being in a group of 3 or 4 where every putt is marked and played in strict order of distance is, for me, like wearing full dinner suit for a pub meal.
Agree with that. As long as my ball is not near someone's putting line, I'm leaving it there. If it is fairly near I'll ask them if they'd like me to mark it, and/or move the marker to one side. Otherwise why bother? A lot of effort for no benefit.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Agree with that. As long as my ball is not near someone's putting line, I'm leaving it there. If it is fairly near I'll ask them if they'd like me to mark it, and/or move the marker to one side. Otherwise why bother? A lot of effort for no benefit.
Do you not like to clean your balls? ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are making a judgement on the position of your ball relative to that of the player about to putt that is not yours to make.

So unless you are going to putt just mark and pick it up...it is my view that I should not have to ask another player to mark and pick up his ball when I am to putt because I know that some players will question me on why I want it moved - and as that can be a little awkward some players might not wish to have to ask another. I have absolutely no qualms - but I am not everyone.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are making a judgement on the position of your ball relative to that of the player about to putt that is not yours to make.

So unless you are going to putt just mark and pick it up...it is my view that I should not have to ask another player to mark and pick up his ball when I am to putt because I know that some players will question me on why I want it moved - and as that can be a little awkward some players might not wish to have to ask another. I have absolutely no qualms - but I am not everyone.
Pointless effort. He can ask me if he wants it marks for whatever reason. I might be over by my bag or something, it's a delay of play to wait for everybody to wander over, avoiding stepping on each other's lines to all mark their balls for no reason. I would never question someone 'why' they've asked me to mark it, that's what creates the unnecessary awkwardness. If they ask me, I do it, no problem.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You began by saying "If your ball is within say 10ft of the hole". The clear implication is that if my ball is 30ft away, it wouldn't bother you. So now we've established that you have a limit where it will bother you, how is the rest of your group supposed to know what your limit is? And does your limit change with topography?

Also, it would be fair to assume that every player has their own limit where they would rather the ball be marked just in case. And everyone's limit will be different. For some people the distance will be huge, for some tiny. Marking every other ball no matter what the distance or angle is clearly silly. It's silly on the pro tour but at least they're playing for their living. So now we're into a question of what will bother some people but not others.

Easy answer, if you want it marked ask them to mark it.

If someone wants me to mark my ball I'll mark it. I won't question the person. I might think the person is a prat, but I'll mark it anyway.

It's kind of like the "tending" question. We all have a personal tolerance for where we think the other person is being a prat (e.g. if the other person wanted it tended for every single putt no matter what the distance I think most people would agree the person is being an idiot). If someone wants the flag tended, I'll tend it, but at some stage I'll be mentally labelling the person as prat. In the case of tending, my personal tolerance would be zero.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure if etiquette, but an unusual one tonight.

Played our fourball matchplay knockout match. It was very windy and the rain started coming down quite hard. However, not a puddle in sight (apart from a few bunkers) and course was very playable. Myself and partner were 2 up after 5, and looked to be going 3 up after 6 after an opponent hit a drive OB and then a few other duffed shots up the fairway (with partner also in a tricky position).

At this point, one of our opponents (the one who hit OB) pretty much demanded / begged we abandon the game and replay it another time when the weather was nice. He doesn't like playing in wind and rain, he has to go to work tomorrow and he might get a cold. In his opinion, it was ridiculous that we were playing in those conditions, it is not acceptable and he was only playing because we decided to go ahead with the arranged match this afternoon against his will (forecast was wind and light rain, so thought it was worth the risk rather than delay the game and find a date all 4 of us will be available).

My partner looked bemused at the fact he was actually making this request. I tried to point out that the course was playable and we really need to continue. To be fair, I also felt that if we accepted his request, played on a really nice day and they won (our opponents were both much higher handicappers, so probably more at risk in bad weather) then we could be kicking ourselves as it looked like we were strong favourites after 5 and a half holes tonight.

Anyway, he ended up conceding the match, but it was all a little uncomfortable. I guess the advantage is we won 2&13, now home and dry and in time for kick off for the Man City v PSG game.

Mandofred

Visit site

Played our fourball matchplay knockout match. It was very windy and the rain started coming down quite hard. However, not a puddle in sight (apart from a few bunkers) and course was very playable. Myself and partner were 2 up after 5, and looked to be going 3 up after 6 after an opponent hit a drive OB and then a few other duffed shots up the fairway (with partner also in a tricky position).

At this point, one of our opponents (the one who hit OB) pretty much demanded / begged we abandon the game and replay it another time when the weather was nice. He doesn't like playing in wind and rain, he has to go to work tomorrow and he might get a cold. In his opinion, it was ridiculous that we were playing in those conditions, it is not acceptable and he was only playing because we decided to go ahead with the arranged match this afternoon against his will (forecast was wind and light rain, so thought it was worth the risk rather than delay the game and find a date all 4 of us will be available).

My partner looked bemused at the fact he was actually making this request. I tried to point out that the course was playable and we really need to continue. To be fair, I also felt that if we accepted his request, played on a really nice day and they won (our opponents were both much higher handicappers, so probably more at risk in bad weather) then we could be kicking ourselves as it looked like we were strong favourites after 5 and a half holes tonight.

Anyway, he ended up conceding the match, but it was all a little uncomfortable. I guess the advantage is we won 2&13, now home and dry and in time for kick off for the Man City v PSG game.
This is one of the reasons I stay away from match play (unless it's pairs in a rollup, so nobody really cares)....too easy for people to take things too personally. With something like a Medal, it's just me against the course. I've heard a few horror stories with match play, sometimes with things getting touchy between friends.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If I was his partner I’d be looking for a new one, what a tart.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He’s chancing his arm.
You were correct to say no.
Golf is an outdoor sport!

RichA

Visit site

He should have checked the weather forecast and suggested a postponement before the match started, rather than waiting until he was losing. Good for you and your partner for not folding.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If it was all square or his team 1 up then maybe, but you can't make that sort of request when 2 or 3 down and expect it to be gratefully received! :LOL:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Love a match in the rain - well I don't actually, but I know that there's a decent chance it will put the other guy/team off a lot more than it will me - I've won several matches where my opponent basically gave up as the weather got fouler.

Visit site
I played a couple of courses in NSW in the 1990s. The Ozzies seemed to have no dress code as such. The policing of any really daft clothing was done by relentless mickey-taking by all on the course. They had one strange quirk - you should not lay the flagstick on the ground. You had to hold it and pass it to someone else when it was your turn to putt. Seemed a pretty pointless ritual to me. When the course was rammed with fourballs, on a par three you all would walk off the back of the green before putting to allow the players behind to play their tee shots, then commence putting. Never seen that one done here by convention. Would make sense sometimes.
Haha, I moved to Aus 4 years ago, specifically NSW. The flag holding thing is still done to this day, which I also found a bit strange having always been a player that placed the flag on the deck out of the line of any putt. ‘What the f&*k you doing that for mate’ in Aussie drawl I’ve had more than once. Apart from that, anything goes, eskies full of beer and music are a comment sight here on Fridays after Tradies knock off for the weekend. Different to UK, but plenty of guys and girls having a good time before the comps become more serious on Saturday mornings.

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I stay away from match play (unless it's pairs in a rollup, so nobody really cares)....too easy for people to take things too personally. With something like a Medal, it's just me against the course. I've heard a few horror stories with match play, sometimes with things getting touchy between friends.

That's why I stopped playing our matchplay event.