What are you paying?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
At royal musselburgh it's £580 with a £30 bar card. Not bad.
Sounds very reasonable TOMO for a famous old golf course. I'm surprised at the £30 bar card. Does this mean that some members have to be forced to spend thirty quid a year over the bar? We Scots!
Here in Northern Spain I've just been told that it's 635 euros for next year. Plus 5 euros when you play at the weekend and 4 in the week. Competitions are now 30 euros but you get lunch whether you want it or not.
God knows what Homer pays at Ascot.

Shanker, it's just a bar levy to encourage members to use the bar. Did you read the history of Royal Musselburgh, it’s truly amazing to think it goes way back all these years. http://www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk/index.php/history

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not got the prices for next year but I imagine it will be about £1100 + £50 bar levy. On top of that I'll pay £60 for my locker. Given the courses around me that is probably the going rate even though it is way too much

If it is way too much - why pay then?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ah the voice of cynicism that can only be sammmebee. I pay it because it costs a lot more to play other clubs like Mill Ride, The Berkshire, etc and I can roll up an play at any time. The facilities are good, the members by and large are good decent folk, the pro does me some good deals and I like the course. Sadly Ascot is in a catchment area of very big clubs and is an expensive area and so membership is priced accordingly. I think if you polled Ascot members a large proportion will say the same but that is the prices being asked (although 2009/10 figures yet to be finalised).

The club like most others has a membership shortfall and has already got set fiscal debts in terms of money borrowed on a long term loan to fund the new clubhouse plus the usual outgoings for equipment, maintanance, salaries, clubhouse etc.

Given the amount of times I play and use the practice ground it worked out around £11 per round in real terms for this year and I don't think you will find many courses in this area including pay and plays charging that little and allowing you to play when you want to.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the amount of times I play and use the practice ground it worked out around £11 per round in real terms for this year and I don't think you will find many courses in this area including pay and plays charging that little and allowing you to play when you want to.

So why say it's way too much then....... :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I said it because it is true. It is too much money but faced with the options of 5 hour rounds at the Downshire (local council owned pay and play) and limited accessibility or 5+ hours on a bog at Blue Mountain (pay and play in Bracknell owned by Crown golf) or the even higher fees at private member clubs in the same vicinity it is the lesser of all evils. However Ascot is a maturing track that will improve in time. The greens are coming back after a bad 2007 and the ongoing work on the course is making its mark.

The regulars are pretty friendly and it is easy to get a game. Competitions are drawn so you don't have the same groups every week. The clubhouse is comfy without being too stuffy and I have a locker to store my clubs (ideal for a quick getaway on the train from work in summer). Compare that to somewhere like Wentworth where your membership does cover you to play the various courses, you are only allowed to play the West course at certain times and the East course is now taking more and more society and corporate traffic meaning that you cannot always get a game at a time to suit and at a significantly higher rate.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Paying £155 club membership inc £10 locker, £35 bar levy and £20 social member for the wife then in April I will get a council season ticket for £370 so = £525 for a 9 holer municipal but since I get £35 back its £490, not too bad.

T

thecraw

Dont worry Homer, I ken what you are saying and I also agree that the majority of golf clubs have you over a barrell!

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just joined a new club last month £815 previous club was £600 the extra £215 will be well worth it as it is a much better course

Mawgan

Club Champion
Visit site
After some humming and hahing I have decided to join a club here in West Kent. It boasts 36 holes, reasonable practice facilites, and an excellent clubhouse. I have very little idea what the members are like, and can only hope for the best. No reason to think they shouldn't be fine...
The cost is an eye-watering £1250 plus £100 over the bar, but at least I got them to waive the joining fee!
I am determined to work myself down to a decent h/c, and consider a members club a far better option than a pay n play for all sorts of reasons. Let's hope I'm right!
Yours in penury,
D.

Mawgan

Club Champion
Visit site
I looked very seriously at Kings Hill (well-drained course, excellent practice facilities, academy and fitting centre, slightly disappointing clubhouse facilities, rather 'business' oriented approach), but opted for West Malling (two interesting courses, reasonable practice areas, very good clubhouse/atmosphere, good pros and shop).
My membership starts on January 1st and I shall be champing at the bit...
Do let me know if you ever fancy a game.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mawgan,

I have just left West Malling. Smashing club, with two very nice courses (Spitfire tight and interesting), whilst the Hurricane is a bit longer and a bit more open, but some smashing holes. The par 3 4th being one of my favourites out of both courses.

The playing arrangements are slightly restrictive to begin with, as there is no facility tobook a tee time, and if you do not know any one, getting a roll up game is quite difficult until you get to know a few of the swindle groups which they have on a Saturday and Sunday. I used to play with the Pegasus boys who were a really nice bunch, but there is also the Merlins and a few others.

The pro staff are really good, and I had some good lessons with Mikey!

I left because I have recently changed jobs, and was no longer able to get down there at all in the week, and was reduced tojust playing on a Saturday, which actually meant I was paying more than straight visitor rates. (£25).

I regret leaving a little, but a recent run of not being able to play my regular Saturday slot due to a mixture of work and an injury, meant my last outing averaged out at £150 for the game!

I live really locally in Leybourne, so if you fancy a game, and someone to introduce you to a few of the lads give me a shout.

:) :)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's many years since I played there and would welcome the opportunity to do so again. I'm always up for a game but I think it will be best to wait until the weather warms up now.

Give me a reminder nearer Spring. I'm sure that there a couple of other Forumers who will be pleased to make up a 4 ball.