What’s your take on this?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kids don't earn money, women do - and SHOULD be getting equal pay to their male counterparts. Why do they need to cash incentive to get them to play golf? Wouldn't that discount be better spread across the membership providing cheaper access to everybody?

How many ladies take lower paid Jobs or don't work to provide childcare for their children?

If you can't see past the price and understand the bigger issues in the world then that's your problem

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thoughts on dis
How many ladies take lower paid Jobs or don't work to provide childcare for their children?

If you can't see past the price and understand the bigger issues in the world then that's your problem

But the price is just part of the problem, again, why don't Manchester United offer discounted season tickets to women? They don't need to - plenty of women are happy to pay the going rate because they enjoy the experience.
If you have to de-value golf to get women to come along, then you really should be looking at golf and wondering what needs to change - and quite clearly, there are still a lot of things that do need to change.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it's a good incentive to get more women playing a game they view as a male dominated sport. To shout inequality is laughable as for years women won't allowed to even set foot in some clubs. It's also a good bit of business get them in at a cheaper rate, hook them and then they are in aren't they?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it's a good incentive to get more women playing a game they view as a male dominated sport. To shout inequality is laughable as for years women won't allowed to even set foot in some clubs. It's also a good bit of business get them in at a cheaper rate, hook them and then they are in aren't they?

If you need more members, I see nothing wrong with offering all new members a discount. A certain gender group only just seems wrong.

evemccc

Visit site
so presumably they are still not attracting enough female members.

Ladies still get a pretty raw deal at many clubs.

Point 1) This problematising….why is it actually a problem though, and when is ‘enough’ reached? The grounds for this is pure ideology

Point 2) I do not doubt this is true. But it’s a separate issue

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kids don't earn money, women do - and SHOULD be getting equal pay to their male counterparts. Why do they need to cash incentive to get them to play golf? Wouldn't that discount be better spread across the membership providing cheaper access to everybody?

If it was permanently cheaper for female golfers then there’d probably be an argument. But this is clearly aimed at trying to get more women to play golf. Kids don’t earn money but their parents do, if they had to pay full price for them then there’s a good many who wouldn’t.

What would spreading the discount across the membership achieve, long term, other than keeping the male members happy? Let’s face facts, this offer, unfortunately, won’t suddenly result in that club gaining 100 new female members, and so the savings across the rest of the membership would be minimal and achieve nothing. But maybe attracting 10 new female members might, especially year on year as word gets around that this club is female friendly and has a decent female community to play with if they lacked confidence to play with the men. It’s a great thing in my view.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thoughts on dis

But the price is just part of the problem, again, why don't Manchester United offer discounted season tickets to women? They don't need to - plenty of women are happy to pay the going rate because they enjoy the experience.
If you have to de-value golf to get women to come along, then you really should be looking at golf and wondering what needs to change - and quite clearly, there are still a lot of things that do need to change.

What is your obsession with Manchester United? They litterally couldn't be further from this example if they tried

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you need more members, I see nothing wrong with offering all new members a discount. A certain gender group only just seems wrong.

Plenty do cheaper rates for younger age groups

Idea is get them in and then they are the future of the club.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What is your obsession with Manchester United? They litterally couldn't be further from this example if they tried

I think it's a perfect example to be honest.

Women pay the same to access gyms, football grounds, horse racing, concerts, the cinema - the list goes on and on and on.

Yet we need to reduce the cost of golf to get them interested. There's a reason for that - and it won't be solved by making it cheaper for them.

By making it cheaper - you are saying "your different" - it's fundamentally wrong, and out-dated.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Women pay the same to access gyms, football grounds, horse racing, concerts, the cinema - the list goes on and on and on.

Yet we need to reduce the cost of golf to get them interested. There's a reason for that - and it won't be solved by making it cheaper for them.

If you really think it's that simple then you have entirely missed the point.

I CBA to spend my Sunday explaining basics

Goodday

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

By making it cheaper - you are saying "your different" - it's fundamentally wrong, and out-dated.

You’re still picking sports where female participation is high. It’s not just women who view golf/golf clubs as an elitist sport ‘not for folks like us’.

To flip it around slightly, I can remember a recruitment campaign to get more men to become primary school teachers. Was that wrong or discriminatory? No, it was just trying to get under represented ‘people’ into a role to balance things up and make the world a better place.

Anyway, thankfully we’re all allowed our own views on this and so we’ll have to agree to disagree ??

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You’re still picking sports where female participation is high. It’s not just women who view golf/golf clubs as an elitist sport ‘not for folks like us’.

To flip it around slightly, I can remember a recruitment campaign to get more men to become primary school teachers. Was that wrong or discriminatory? No, it was just trying to get under represented ‘people’ into a role to balance things up and make the world a better place.

Anyway, thankfully we’re all allowed our own views on this and so we’ll have to agree to disagree ??

I'm picking sports where female participation is high to demonstrate what is wrong with golf, I'm not aware of any of those activities mentioned offering reduced prices to women to get them involved - yet football was very much a sport for the working class male at one time.

Did the potential male primary school teachers receive higher pay than their female counterparts do you know?
Do you think Female HGV drivers should get higher pay than male HGV drivers- after all, the ladies are in the minority in the industry?

Maybe men who rock up at ASDA to do the weekly family shop should get a discount while we're trying to attract men and women into activities that is normally the domain of the opposite sex?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm picking sports where female participation is high to demonstrate what is wrong with golf, I'm not aware of any of those activities mentioned offering reduced prices to women to get them involved - yet football was very much a sport for the working class male at one time.

Did the potential male primary school teachers receive higher pay than their female counterparts do you know?
Do you think Female HGV drivers should get higher pay than male HGV drivers- after all, the ladies are in the minority in the industry?

Maybe men who rock up at ASDA to do the weekly family shop should get a discount while we're trying to attract men and women into activities that is normally the domain of the opposite sex?

The fact you still think it’s women who do the weekly shop says it all.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The fact you still think it’s women who do the weekly shop says it all.

Jesus H Christ - in the majority of family households they will!!!

Can you answer some of the other questions I've asked in my response to you, or are you also going to try and undermine a very valid point I'm trying to make, with cynical comments

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
And by the way, I mentioned this policy from York Golf Club to my wife - who normally does the weekly shop, and she said straight off the bat "That's sexual discrimination".