What’s your take on this?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although it's great to have thriving, mixed sections within a club, does it really matter to the club if no women or juniors want to be members at the going rate but the men can fill the gaps.?
From a business perspective, the club want to maximise income.
If the, say, 50 women who take up the half price offer are replaced by men paying full price..isn't that, financially, better for the club?
If the product is good enough, appealing enough and available enough then people will use it.
Does it matter if they're men or women..?

Little course near me is

£525 a year,
£425 if over 65
£90 a year for under 18s

So the over 65s potentially can play more and pay less .. but no-one complains of pensioners getting discount or kids getting it cheaper

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that York has offered this deal for females for at least 5 years, so presumably they are still not attracting enough female members. Ladies still get a pretty raw deal at many clubs e.g. Weekday comps rather than weekend comps, so it seems fair to offer them cheaper rates. I'm surprised it is only for the first year.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Although it's great to have thriving, mixed sections within a club, does it really matter to the club if no women or juniors want to be members at the going rate but the men can fill the gaps.?
From a business perspective, the club want to maximise income.
If the, say, 50 women who take up the half price offer are replaced by men paying full price..isn't that, financially, better for the club?
If the product is good enough, appealing enough and available enough then people will use it.
Does it matter if they're men or women..?

Most recreational sports are more popular with men than women, snooker, fishing, football, cycling - all will be participated more by men that women. There are eceptions of course, horse riding as an example.

If golf appeals to a minority of women, then it's no different to a lot of other sports.

Golf already has the advantage over many other sports in that both men and women can compete fairly in the same competitions, thanks to the different tee options and handicap system.

It doesn't matter if the members are all men, or all women ( a society near me is 75% subscribed by female members), but you cannot discriminate between one or the other with membership structures.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most recreational sports are more popular with men than women, snooker, fishing, football, cycling - all will be participated more by men that women. There are eceptions of course, horse riding as an example.

If golf appeals to a minority of women, then it's no different to a lot of other sports.

Golf already has the advantage over many other sports in that both men and women can compete fairly in the same competitions, thanks to the different tee options and handicap system.

It doesn't matter if the members are all men, or all women ( a society near me is 75% subscribed by female members), but you cannot discriminate between one or the other with membership structures.

Well clearly they can and have. You are entitled to your opinion

It's wrong but your entitled to it.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I honestly believe you should just pay an adult rate whatever that may be once you are over 18.
Its more about affordability.
As a probably bad example, how is it right that if a woman chief executive earns 100k a year pays less than say a train driver on 50k a year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the EG Equality Guidance

Can clubs provide discounts to one sex under the ‘Positive Action’ exemption?
Any club which is considering giving discounted membership to women needs to carefully consider the following points;
o Discounts should be a last resort: There are many ways to encourage female representation (see Example Part 1). Discounts are unlikely to be proportionate if a club has any other means of encouraging female representation which is less discriminatory towards men;
o There is always a risk: Even if granting discounts is the only way to encourage female participation it is still risky. A judge may still find that the discriminatory effect caused by the discount outweighs the benefits of the positive action.

Can our club offer discounted membership fees to women in order to encourage female participation?
This is very risky. This policy directly discriminates against prospective and current male members. A club would be far better to use some other method of promoting female membership that is less discriminatory to men. It is possible that discounted membership may be a proportionate means of achieving Positive Action if there is no other practical way of increasing female participation. However, this is not certain and a judge may still decide that the benefits do not outweigh the discriminatory effect against male members.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
A completely different example. In which over 65s and under 18s get different prices aswell

Are you against them? Or is it just women you are against?

Against women?? I'm argiung for their equality.

So do you think women should get cheaper tickets to watch football, a recreational pastime where male participation outweighs that of females?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So do you think women should get cheaper tickets to watch football, a recreational pastime where male participation outweighs that of females?

I must have missed the part you were for women.. considering you want to disrespect women, trans and the club and pretend to be a women for 1 year to save a few quid.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I must have missed the part you were for women.. considering you want to disrespect women, trans and the club and pretend to be a women for 1 year to save a few quid.

I was pointing out how ridiculous the policy is.

Let's continue with discounted greenfees based on sex, different competetions based on sex, limited access to the facilities based on sex - and pretend everything is Ok.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Comparing discounted season tickets at football matches is a poor example, women aren’t under represented at football matches. Obviously I don’t know the exact numbers and of course more men go than women, but there will be thousands of females at old Trafford every week, same at any football ground. I support another team and I’d say it’s easily 25% women who go.

I think there are 4 female members at my golf club, out of roughly 400 members, so that’s 1%.

I really don’t see why this is an argument. We want a more diverse membership so why not offer deals (in the first year only, by the way) to encourage them to take up the sport? If kids had to pay the same rate as adult men, they wouldn’t join and the game would die out in 20-30 years. This is no different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comparing discounted season tickets at football matches is a poor example, women aren’t under represented at football matches. Obviously I don’t know the exact numbers and of course more men go than women, but there will be thousands of females at old Trafford every week, same at any football ground. I support another team and I’d say it’s easily 25% women who go.

I think there are 4 female members at my golf club, out of roughly 400 members, so that’s 1%.

I really don’t see why this is an argument. We want a more diverse membership so why not offer deals (in the first year only, by the way) to encourage them to take up the sport? If kids had to pay the same rate as adult men, they wouldn’t join and the game would die out in 20-30 years. This is no different.
Spot on , it's not like it's an on going discount either just an introductory offer to boost take up.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Kids don't earn money, women do - and SHOULD be getting equal pay to their male counterparts. Why do they need to cash incentive to get them to play golf? Wouldn't that discount be better spread across the membership providing cheaper access to everybody?