What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you on a golf course?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Am looking at snow and listening to three children so for a bit of fun and perhaps a spot prize for the best answer what’s your on-course low point?

Can be a 18th-hole meltdown etc etc or anything really - mine would be being hitting by a mate’s 5-iron and having 10 stitches in my forehead after some high jinks got out of hand at Wimbledon Park in 1986

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trying to play a forward defensive stroke with a Ping Anser putter we'd borrowed off a cousin.
The ball which had been gently thrown towards me hit the neck of the putter and snapped it clean in half.
This was back in the mid 80s, I only told him about it last year ?

sunshine

Visit site
Three spring to mind. These sadly aren't entertaining stories but are definitely on-course low points.

1. Par 3 over a lake, my friend and I spotted a dead body floating in the lake. Must have been in the water a few days and rigor mortis had set in.

2. Last time I played Northwood GC, we heard an almighty screech and bang from the road outside. Shortly after the air ambulance landed on the fairway, but unfortunately it was a fatal car crash.

3. Not me, but a friend (playing partner from no.2 above) saw an old boy keel over at Old Fold Manor. He didn't make it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Playing in a pairs comp a few years back, played a shot from the trees in amongst the roots, the ball immediately hit a root and flew straight up hitting me just on the edge of the eye socket at full speed. Knocked me down split my skull, would have lost my eye if it had hit 2 mm further right. Was on the 4th hole, got up with my head bleeding and finished the comp, didn't play particularly well after that but didn't want to let my partner down.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Three spring to mind. These sadly aren't entertaining stories but are definitely on-course low points.

1. Par 3 over a lake, my friend and I spotted a dead body floating in the lake. Must have been in the water a few days and rigor mortis had set in.

2. Last time I played Northwood GC, we heard an almighty screech and bang from the road outside. Shortly after the air ambulance landed on the fairway, but unfortunately it was a fatal car crash.

3. Not me, but a friend (playing partner from no.2 above) saw an old boy keel over at Old Fold Manor. He didn't make it.

I do not want to play in any group you are in

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Do you wear a grey cloak and have a scythe sticking out the golf bag

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
about 8 weeks after knee surgery i was playing golf and decided that rather than walk an extra 20 or so yards and cross the ditch via the lovely bridge, i would jump the ditch.

well, it soon became apparent that i have all aeronautical ability of a house brick and didn't make it. I ended up having more surgery on that knee soon after - this time for ligament damage.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

You're a bit of a Jonah, not a ray of Sunshine :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
To lighten the mood...

I was playing in Spain and had sliced my drive into a large lake that ran all the way down the right hand side of the hole. The lake had dried up so off the tee I walked on to the lake bed and headed towards my ball. I played a decent shot to the green then started to walk towards the green. At this point I realised that up towards the green, the water hazard actually had some water in it, so I made a detour towards the fairway where it looked a bit drier. Although the surface was dry, my bodyweight plus clubs started to crack the surface. I was only a few yards from the fairway, and it was a 250 yard walk back the way I had come, so I continued forward. I started sinking, so I started running, I started sinking a bit more... eventually I emerged from the hazard like a swamp monster. My friends were crying with laughter and captured it all on video.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
To lighten the mood...

I was playing in Spain and had sliced my drive into a large lake that ran all the way down the right hand side of the hole. The lake had dried up so off the tee I walked on to the lake bed and headed towards my ball. I played a decent shot to the green then started to walk towards the green. At this point I realised that up towards the green, the water hazard actually had some water in it, so I made a detour towards the fairway where it looked a bit drier. Although the surface was dry, my bodyweight plus clubs started to crack the surface. I was only a few yards from the fairway, and it was a 250 yard walk back the way I had come, so I continued forward. I started sinking, so I started running, I started sinking a bit more... eventually I emerged from the hazard like a swamp monster. My friends were crying with laughter and captured it all on video.

where can this video be viewed?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many many years ago as a teenager playing at St Pierre, Id hit my standard drive and had missed 40 yards left. Get down there to see my ball sat up on the far bank of a small river. There was a big tree overhanging a few yards down so I decided to cross the river using the overhanging tree to bridge the distance gap. Jumped off the bank, grabbed the tree branch and heard a distinctive and worrying crack. Yup the branch gave way and I ended up waist deep in a freezing cold, muddy river.

Tend to leave the harder to reach errant drives where they are ever since for anyone else stupid enough to try and retreive them

mister v

Visit site
I was playing in spain, and in all fairness i was having a nightmare. the refreshment buggy was up in front so i stopped to buy the beers to helpfully cheer myself up a bit. another golfer had the same idea, he asked how was i getting on to which i replied "im playing like a man with one arm".............. the one armed golfer who i'd just insulted replied "so am i"
He did laugh at me when i gave my grovelling apollogy which i was very grateful for!!

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Hit my drive into a small area of trees and had a fair way to go to the green. Pulled out my 4 wood and had a good area to swing in, so was confident of getting it close to the green. All I had to do was make sure the ball went to the left of a small tree just about 5 meters in front of me...what thought goes through my head on my backswing? Yep, 'Hope I don't hit that tree'...sure enough caught it dead centre and the ball shot back and hit me in the upper thigh! Dropped to the ground like a sack of smelly stuff...my PP's started coming towards me being slightly concerned, but then they felt relieved when they heard me giggling. It was actually a mixture of pain and how bloody stupid I felt.

Bruise lasted about a month...and we lost that hole!

CK