What’s the Hardest to do

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hardest to Achieve

• Total voters

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yes, I've seen it done over the years, but does it compare with 147 and 9-darts?

Id say no, its achieved too often.

Its a funny one, because both darts and snooker are in totally controlled environments with no real difference in venues or anything at all, yet their achievement is harder?

I wonder what the percentage would be of 147's/ 9DF if as many people played snooker/ darts that played golf?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That's because hole-in-ones are basically luck

That’s a bit simplistic. Have you ever seen interviews with tournament pros when they’re asked what they’re trying to do with approaches from 150 yards and closer? The answer, invariably, is to hole out. I don’t doubt they take a similar approach on many par 3’s, depending on circumstance.

So yes, whilst there is absolutely a fair amount of luck involved, at elite level there’s no small amount of skill playing a part too.

sjw

Visit site
That’s a bit simplistic. Have you ever seen interviews with tournament pros when they’re asked what they’re trying to do with approaches from 150 yards and closer? The answer, invariably, is to hole out. I don’t doubt they take a similar approach on many par 3’s, depending on circumstance.

So yes, whilst there is absolutely a fair amount of luck involved, at elite level there’s no small amount of skill playing a part too.

Yeah, but the same luck could be had by an amateur. These shots that you see when they hit the green, spin back, break, into the hole... no one will ever be able to convince me that they were intended. There is just simply too much variation in the greens etc. Skill to hit the green, yes. Within x feet of the cup, on demand, absolutely. To put backspin on the ball, yes. But once it's left their club face, it's in the hands of the golf gods as to whether it ends up in the hole or not.

Visit site
Tiger hasn’t made a PGA Tour hole in one since 1998. I feel like the internet would implode if he got one these days.

That’s proof enough for me that a hole in one is mostly luck.
Plus I’ve never got one and that means it surely can’t be related to skill 😂

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah, but the same luck could be had by an amateur. These shots that you see when they hit the green, spin back, break, into the hole... no one will ever be able to convince me that they were intended. There is just simply too much variation in the greens etc. Skill to hit the green, yes. Within x feet of the cup, on demand, absolutely. To put backspin on the ball, yes. But once it's left their club face, it's in the hands of the golf gods as to whether it ends up in the hole or not.

So if ‘luck’ is a requirement on top of whatever skill level is needed for a HIO, that kinda settles the discussion really

If a hole in one cannot be achieved by skill alone, even if you are the greatest player in the world... it must be harder to do than a 9 darter or a 147 :sneaky:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if ‘luck’ is a requirement on top of whatever skill level is needed for a HIO, that kinda settles the discussion really

If a hole in one cannot be achieved by skill alone, even if you are the greatest player in the world... it must be harder to do than a 9 darter or a 147 :sneaky:

That is my thought on the matter. The fact is that the hole in one includes so many variables that makeit luck save for the obvious skill in being able to propel the ball in the general direction of the hole. You can even end up with a hole in one from a poor, thinned shot that did not go anywhere near where you intended.

I would thus say that the hardest is the hole in one based on how little control you actually have over it but that the other 2 require the greatest level of skill and the 147 probably requires the greatest level of skill of the 3.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's telling that the pro snooker player is the one who's done all three though. I'm sure not many pro golfers or pro darts players have a 147 under their belts.

Think I would amend slightly what I said previously. Due to all of the uncontrolable factors, I would say that the hole in one is the hardest to do deliberately (unless you slam dunk the hole and it stays in, anything else is the result of hundreds of variables that just cannot be taken in account (so luck effectively), but the hardest to achieve based on skill is the 147. I am sure given enough time on one hole with enough shots I could hit a hole in one but not know why that one went in and the hundreds before hand did not. I suspect that you could stand me at a snooker table for several years and I still would not get a 147.

sjw

Visit site
Think I would amend slightly what I said previously. Due to all of the uncontrolable factors, I would say that the hole in one is the hardest to do deliberately (unless you slam dunk the hole and it stays in, anything else is the result of hundreds of variables that just cannot be taken in account (so luck effectively), but the hardest to achieve based on skill is the 147. I am sure given enough time on one hole with enough shots I could hit a hole in one but not know why that one went in and the hundreds before hand did not. I suspect that you could stand me at a snooker table for several years and I still would not get a 147.

No slam dunk HIO has ever been deliberate

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve never seen (by amateurs
Or playing partners) a 147 or 9 darter in person, but have seen 3 hole in ones. One of which was a thin on a downhill par 3.

which suggests that luck can help you achieve a HIO, but to fluke 9 consecutive throws or a how ever many are required to get a 147, is highly unlikely.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve never seen (by amateurs
Or playing partners) a 147 or 9 darter in person, but have seen 3 hole in ones. One of which was a thin on a downhill par 3.

which suggests that luck can help you achieve a HIO, but to fluke 9 consecutive throws or a how ever many are required to get a 147, is highly unlikely.

Yup, you need some level of skill and luck for a HIO, you only need skill for a 9 dart/147, making both comparatively easy by comparison

Golf roolz ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Id say no, its achieved too often.

Its a funny one, because both darts and snooker are in totally controlled environments with no real difference in venues or anything at all, yet their achievement is harder?

I wonder what the percentage would be of 147's/ 9DF if as many people played snooker/ darts that played golf?
Or if you had a par three in your spare room.
there probably to different to compare outdoor sport to indoor

sjw

Visit site

Perhaps poorly worded on my part. What I mean is, while everyone is hoping their tee shot goes in and they're aiming towards the hole, there is no way anyone is humanly capable of landing a golf ball that accurately. If they were, they could do it back to back, a la a 9 darter. There is simply no knowing what the wind will do to the ball, combined with microscopic differences in the spin on the ball etc.