What’s the Hardest to do

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hardest to Achieve

• Total voters

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So what is equivalent in golf to a 147 - something that is equally hard to achieve?
I offered 6 birdies in a row. It appears, and I concede, that I set the bar too low.
Must be somewhere between 7 and 18, but I'm not sure where.

I’m not sure there’s a definitive answer, and I guess you alluded to it by mentioning Augusta. A snooker table is a specific size with pockets of a specific size. A golf course could be 5,500yds, up to 7,500yds. There’s a myriad of different perfect scores.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I’m not sure there’s a definitive answer, and I guess you alluded to it by mentioning Augusta. A snooker table is a specific size with pockets of a specific size. A golf course could be 5,500yds, up to 7,500yds. There’s a myriad of different perfect scores.
So which of those myriad is equivalent to a 147 in terms hardest to achieve?
It will have to be something that we see being done, not something that is in the realms of impossibility, for it to be equally hard to achieve.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So which of those myriad is equivalent to a 147 in terms hardest to achieve?
It will have to be something that we see being done, not something that is in the realms of impossibility, for it to be equally hard to achieve.

Is a course record the perfect score? It will include the odd mistake, I suppose a bit like running the cue ball too far. Can a 9 darter have the equivalent of running the cue ball too far or missing a fairway?

In terms of the original question, how many snooker tournaments see a 147, how many hole-in-ones are there? And if we’re looking at number of entrants ‘v’ the holy grails of the sports, how frequent are 9 darters? Is the answer found by looking at the number of competitors per events ‘v’ the number of times the holy grails are achieved?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is a course record the perfect score? It will include the odd mistake, I suppose a bit like running the cue ball too far. Can a 9 darter have the equivalent of running the cue ball too far or missing a fairway?
Technically yes I suppose - if they miss treble 20 by far enough to hit the treble 18 instead, I think the 9-dart is still possible. I don't imagine it's ever been done that way though. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes.
The 147 is a sense of perfection in scoring. So is a hole-in-one. But I don't feel the two are comparable. Like you say, the 147 is a series of perfect shots.
So for me, a number of birdies in a row (or and eagle in there, but no pars or bogeys) is a sensible comparison.
During the 147 there will be some relatively easy pots, just like a wide fairway or a big green.
The question for me is, how many birdies in a row to be equivalent to a 147 ?
Don't think it should be 18.
54 shots round Augusta won't be happening. o_O
A 147 is not a series of perfect shots. It’s potting all of the balls in the correct order. There is a huge margin for error.

sunshine

Visit site
Technically the hole in one is the hardest shot, so many variables and no margin for error. But it’s one shot and can be fluked.

How hard is it for a pro to hit treble 20? Is it the equivalent of rolling in an 8 foot putt? So the challenge is asking a golf pro to roll in 9 identical 8 foot putts in a row.

A 147 requires 36 shots in a row. Some of these will be easy, like tapping in a 2 foot putt, some will be tricky, maybe the equivalent of holing a 15 footer, but the challenge is holing 36 varying putts in a row on a flat green.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just watched Ryan Day do a 147 live at the Snooker Tour Championship, and he made it look easy, So at professional level, I think a Hole in One is probably the toughest to do, but if you not in the top 200 in the world at Snooker or Darts you will never achieve the maximums, but you only need to be in the top 1 billion to achieve a Hole in One. An equivalent in golf would be shooting 62 /63 or better on a tour set up course