Wgc matchplay

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What is McGinley on about in the chat on tv just now? He seems to be saying that Kuchar called in the ref in order to make sure that the rule was enforced on Sergio.
IMO as soon as Sergio hit the ball those few inches from the hole, the concession couldn't be made. According to McG, though McG didn't say so , Kuch should have said nothing to the ref, but should have ( retrospectively) conceded the putt to Sergio.
I'm of the opinion that he could not have made that retrospective concession.
The die was cast as soon as Sergio lunged at the little putt. And that it was probable that Kuchar thought otherwise and maybe could have conceded retrospectively. If the ref said that he -Kuchar-could have conceded, he would have done so.
Suppose Kuchar had conceded retrospectively off his own bat, the referee would have been obliged to step in and rule hole lost by Sergio. If any rule expert knows different I am prepared to accept it,
I think it unfair of McG to infer Kuchar was being diabolically clever. Not my take on it at all.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where was Kuchar ? I've yet to see where he was standing while Sergio was putting.

He should really be on hand to conceded that putt while Sergio should also take his medicine as he does try to hole it with the back of his putter. More fool him.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Neither of these two are capable of a birdie blitz, so it is going to be an attritional grind, so see who blinks first. How exciting.

I think I am off to bed. Might catch the highlights tomorrow, if I have a spare 3 minutes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Neither of these two are capable of a birdie blitz, so it is going to be an attritional grind, so see who blinks first. How exciting.

I think I am off to bed. Might catch the highlights tomorrow, if I have a spare 3 minutes.
This. Was in bed by 10.00pm and couldn't watch more than a hole of the final. A shame it couldn't have been more exciting but thats the nature of the event matchplay and the fancied players don't always come to the fore

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The whole thing just ran out of steam unfortunately. A straight up knock out might be better, 1 vs 64, 2 vs 63 etc., set up like the tennis so in theory 1 wouldn't meet 2 until the final. For TV purposes, and in case there's big upsets, maybe the losing 32 from the round of 64 could either play a 'shield' competition or buddy up for a doubles competition of some description.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The whole thing just ran out of steam unfortunately. A straight up knock out might be better, 1 vs 64, 2 vs 63 etc., set up like the tennis so in theory 1 wouldn't meet 2 until the final. For TV purposes, and in case there's big upsets, maybe the losing 32 from the round of 64 could either play a 'shield' competition or buddy up for a doubles competition of some description.
That would work and you'd still get shocks. I doubt you'll ever get the top two seeds into the final though which isn't a bad thing.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

That strikes me as a very 'staged' event. Not convincing in any way.
It was, ultimately, Garcia's fault but he's still trying to shift some emphasis/responsibility to Kuchar who's trying very poorly to absolve himself of any blame.
As I said, Garcia's fault, but Kuchar could/should have played the sportsmans card and done something about it.
It's so contrived that it's almost uncomfortable to watch.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That strikes me as a very 'staged' event. Not convincing in any way.
It was, ultimately, Garcia's fault but he's still trying to shift some emphasis/responsibility to Kuchar who's trying very poorly to absolve himself of any blame.
As I said, Garcia's fault, but Kuchar could/should have played the sportsmans card and done something about it.
It's so contrived that it's almost uncomfortable to watch.
Indeed almost as if the PGA and sponsors have forced them together to film this and clearly neither are comfy about what happened. Surely best thing would have been to let sleeping dogs lie and if either felt they needed to explain or defend their actions further could have done so on their own terms as and when

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One multi-millionaire saying he doesn't hold a grudge against another multi-millionaire, fair enough

And thanks to the Rules of Golf here's the example of when two wrongs can still be right

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site