Westwood final round???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you see a connection between Sky's monopoly of golf on TV and the steady decline in golf club membership numbers and golf magazine sales.

No other channel has an interest in golf, that is not Sky's fault. The Beeb want The Open, The Masters and the Ryder Cup. Blow the rest. Sky give weekly coverage of every US and European tournament. The nitty gritty of golf, not just the glory events. I would love golf to be on more free to air tv but which channel out there is putting their hand up and wanting it?

There are many reasons for a decline in membership numbers but if you are looking at it from a tv angle then blame terrestial tv, not Sky.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you see a connection between Sky's monopoly of golf on TV and the steady decline in golf club membership numbers and golf magazine sales.

Not at all. I don't see how they correlate?

I have watched golf on TV for years, yet only started playing and joined a club 3.5 to 4 years ago. Playing and watching are 2 separate things. As for magazine sales, well, I've never been one for those, but again, that's not sky's fault, that's directly linked to the increased availability of WiFi and online free magazines and articles.

Think youre barking up the wrong tree on that one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not at all. I don't see how they correlate?

I have watched golf on TV for years, yet only started playing and joined a club 3.5 to 4 years ago. Playing and watching are 2 separate things. As for magazine sales, well, I've never been one for those, but again, that's not sky's fault, that's directly linked to the increased availability of WiFi and online free magazines and articles.

Think youre barking up the wrong tree on that one.

My complaint about the coverage was not the ads or the commentary or anything else - it was simply that for me they often got a bit wrong such as the balance between staying with player after shot played and shot outcome.

Also for me the commentators could have helped us understand a bit better what had happened after they moved from live coverage to scoreboard and into and through ads - then back to live coverage. I often lost track of what had gone on - and in foursomes that could be quite a lot.