West Hill Golf Club

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played at West Hill golf club before? I’m playing there in the Institution of Civil Engineers annual tournament in about a week. It looks like a stunning course, par 69 not overly long, but with a slope rating of 132 from the yellows it must be quite tricky?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play there many moons ago.

Originally built as a ladies championship course so not long but it needs accuracy.

Greens are typical of any course in that general area, great for those who appreciate greens that are on the faster side.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't let the yardage fool you. Quite a few uphill par 4's that will take the wind out of your sails and plenty of heather to get tangled up in. Lovely course, but not easy by any stretch.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't believe that has ever happened, Oh wait a minute ....................... ;)

What the lashing it down?

Having lived in Woking half of my life I can say I am now glad I live in the West Country the weather is so much better apart from when it is lashing it down:ROFLMAO:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Really good course, thoroughly enjoyed playing it. We played it in December and it lashed it down, to the point that greens were flooding. The pro came out to meet us as we were playing in to 18, said we should play in better weather, gave us a discount voucher to come back and play in the summer. Great customer service, we did, and enjoyed it even more second time round.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Ndw7 - I didn’t realise ICE still had their annual event - is it still a team event? It’s years since I played but was always good.

and you will love West Hill, when I was at Uni in the 80s we could get student membership for £70 a year!

At this time of year the heather will be deep - take a high loft lob wedge and lots of balls.
Hit a 4 iron off the blind 3rd tee - OOB left and a meandering ditch down the right side

enjoy :)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It's awesome. Difficult to pick a favourite hole as there are so many good ones, but I'll go with either the 8th or 18th.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
@Ndw7 - I didn’t realise ICE still had their annual event - is it still a team event? It’s years since I played but was always good.

and you will love West Hill, when I was at Uni in the 80s we could get student membership for £70 a year!

At this time of year the heather will be deep - take a high loft lob wedge and lots of balls.
Hit a 4 iron off the blind 3rd tee - OOB left and a meandering ditch down the right side

Hi mate, yes it’s still going. This is my third one. Played at Pannal in 2017, Hollinwell in 2018, missed 2019 as my daughter was born and obviously covid put a stop to 2020!

It’s still a team event, St Andrews foursomes in the morning then then individual stableford in the afternoon.

Did you used to playing in these? And what region were you from?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

driver all day long on 3. Swing hard and larrup it!!! Then....reload! o_O

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just back from the event at West Hill, what a golf course! It was immaculate and looked amazing with all the heather (which I mainly managed to stay out of ?)
I’d certainly recommend it to anyone looking to play in the area. I played the best I have in a while. My partner and I had a decent 36 points in the morning foursomes, and I managed 37 points in the afternoon singles to finish 3rd on countback… the 3 putt on the last came back to haunt me after all ?