West Hill, Woking or East Berks

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, but was warned away by several people that know it well.
Ahh ok, that’s interesting. Given your location I’d be heading to West Hill. Something to bear in mind though is when traffic returns to normal the A322 Lightwater bypass is a nightmare Northbound at most times of day. Down through Bisley isn’t great either as the Sainsbury’s local causes jams.

Breakfast_Ball

Visit site
Oh do tell more......
That probably didn't come across right. I've been told it's a wonderful course. Many have said it's one of their favourites during the finer months but in the winter it suffers. Also, at 4k a year I doubt i'd be able to take full advantage of it to make it worth my while.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That probably didn't come across right. I've been told it's a wonderful course. Many have said it's one of their favourites during the finer months but in the winter it suffers. Also, at 4k a year I doubt i'd be able to take full advantage of it to make it worth my while.
A member on here is hosting 3 of us at Bearwood tomorrow, I'll ask him how it holds up in winter.

Breakfast_Ball

Visit site
I was led to believe New Zealand is like Worplesdon where you have to be proposed by a member? Would love either of those courses but unfortunately don't know anyone.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have only played West Hill and that was over 30 years ago.

It was built as a ladies championship course very good test from memory but I would wonder in these days if it is long enough for a relative youngster.

30 + plus years ago I lived in Knaphill and the traffic problems were bad enough then

Have you considered Foxhills and I believe it is where I think it is Mill Ride in Ascot, West Byfleet or Pyrford not played any of them myself.

Members of Pyford, Mill Ride and West Byfleet on here maybe they can tell you what they are like.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have only played West Hill and that was over 30 years ago.

It was built as a ladies championship course very good test from memory but I would wonder in these days if it is long enough for a relative youngster.

30 + plus years ago I lived in Knaphill and the traffic problems were bad enough then

Have you considered Foxhills and I believe it is where I think it is Mill Ride in Ascot, West Byfleet or Pyrford not played any of them myself.

Members of Pyford, Mill Ride and West Byfleet on here maybe they can tell you what they are like.

West Byfleet as nice as it is, isn't in the same league as Woking or West Hill. My favourite of the 2 is Woking, but there's nothing in it, would happily be a member at either course.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
West Hill is a favourite of mine, I've played there many times as a work colleague has been a member there for over 20yrs and I've played it many times.

I've not played the other 2 although my boss (who I never seen eye to eye with) was a member at Woking spoke very highly of it and invited me many times but i declined the generous offer of golf and lunch, if he was a chocolate bar he wouldve ate it and the wrapper.

Good luck with your new home.

HCJ

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I was led to believe New Zealand is like Worplesdon where you have to be proposed by a member? Would love either of those courses but unfortunately don't know anyone.
You’re probably correct, although it’s another course within a 5 minute drive for me I’ve never enquired. I got the impression from what I’ve heard it would be a bit like Woking in that they don’t need you. There’s more to golf than a great course.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If really bad and consistent wet like some of the very poor winters of the last few years Bearwood can suffer but from what i have heard from other courses, it is still probably better than most other Parkland courses. I also remember playing the Buckinghamshire about 15 years ago in poor summer wet weather and it was certainly in worse condition than Bearwood at the same time

Jonnoj

Visit site
You’re probably correct, although it’s another course within a 5 minute drive for me I’ve never enquired. I got the impression from what I’ve heard it would be a bit like Woking in that they don’t need you. There’s more to golf than a great course.
New Zealand is on another level for membership. At least the three Ws will consider you, I’m pretty sure NZ is same as Swinley, if you don’t know the right people forget it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

After a few years of membership at the Buckinghamshire Golf Club I've taken the decision to move on due to the high membership fees and the strategy the club is taking. So far I've reached out to several clubs and have narrowed it down to Woking, West Hill and East Berks. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations of any of these? One that has a good representation of similar aged members (mid-to-late 30s) would be greatly valued as I'm looking for a long term home for my golf.

Of those three I'd go for West Hill ............................ but only if Hankley Common is too far/expensive!