Wentworth Tips

Dazzab1972

Visit site
Hi Fellow golfers.
I have been given the opportunity to go watch the European tour this Thursday at Wentworh.
Has anybody who has been before got any tips of where to stand or whether to follow a group?
Any other helpful tips would be welcome.

Thanks all in advanced.
Dazza.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I often sit in the stand behind the 14th green. If you can get a seat at the end of the row you can watch them teeing off the 15th as well. Behind the 2nd green is another good spot or if there are spaces sit in the stands at the 18th.

D

Deleted member 21258

Always quite like standing behind the 4th green for a while, you get a great view up the hill and the pros going for the green in two. Similar reasons why I quite like watching along the fairway on 17th.

We tend to walk the course 2-3 times during the course of the day and sit down by a selection of greens to watch play. Normally if you want to follow a popular group, it can be a bit mad with crowds.

Have a great time, weathers looking pretty good.

One tip, we have found a couple of water taps out on the course, so you can fill up your bottles from them, rather than buying bottles, if water is your thing!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Following main games (unless you are 6' 4'') is difficult.... I like sitting at the back of par 3s. (14th mentioned, the 2nd is good too, as in some places could watch drives on 3rd. Back of 3rd is good place too.

I see where the main "names" are drawn and sit and watch them come through, AM & PM. Then walk with a game to get in the 18th Grandstand to watch the last 2 or 3 hours....

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
A favourite area of mine is the 8th green/ 9th tee. And the crossover at the 7th green/8th tee with the 10th green and 11th tee. Have spent ages in that corner of the course before, loads of action, a bar, toilets! What more could you want?!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definitely spend an hour or two watching them on the driving range.
When you're following golfers on the course, pay special attention to the noise that's made with their fairway irons.
It's just different ............................ different and gorgeous!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
17th fairway for me too, half way down near the refreshment area.

Quite a few players catch the trees on the other side of the fairway on their approach shots and others miss on the right into the trees further down.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The driving range and putting greens are worth a visit. We usually go for the 2nd green and the 14th green as our main spots. The left side of the 17th green is also not bad as it doesn't seem to get very busy. You need to keep an eye on where the big name groups are if you want to go anywhere specific and get there a good half hour before they are due to come through as it will get busy. I wrote a blog piece about our day last year that might interest:

https://yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com/2018/05/28/wentworth-wanderings/

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always tend to walk backwards around a course...so you can try and get ahead of crowds following popular groups. The area around 8 and 11 tee, and 10 green is not too bad. A lot of action going on there.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've never been to Wentworth, so can't give specific spots to stand and watch.
But, whenever I go to watch live golf, I like to hang around near the green on par 5's. This is because you get to watch a lot of short game magic. Mainly from when they've gone for it in 2 but not hit the green.
I remember staying next to the green of the 7th at Woburn, we got to see lots of pitching and chipping (which is probably my favourite part of the game).

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i went to pro am last year and went from the entetainment sales area backwards around from 18th green, a bit by 17 green, in the stand behind 14 a bit and then a bit of 13 where you can see theer and par 5 12th. Then work way towards 11th tee, which is the big meeting area where you can see much of 7-11