Spectator strategy at Wentworth

Mark S

Visit site
Lucky enough to have tickets for Wentworth BMW Championship on Saturday. Never been before so wondering what best strategy is as a spectator to get the most out of the day. Would love to follow one group round from 1 to 18 but not sure how realistic this is, especially at the weekend. Any tips from those who've been there and got the t-shirt would be appreciated...

D

Deleted member 1147

Never been to Wentworth, but, when we go to the Open we tend to follow a group for a few holes, then stay in a stand or good viewing area for a few groups. Then after a while pick up another group for a few holes.
Keep repeating that through the day and you've seen a few good groups and the whole course.

My favourite place to stay is either by the green on a reachable par 5, as you get to see some short game magic, or by par 3 tees, to witness the ball striking.

Teebs

Visit site
We are going on Thursday and went last year

What we did
3rd tee (par 4) - really quiet and you can get close
3rd green / 4th tee - the mounds make viewing easy
17th tee - prob the best spot for tee-shots as it's such a tough driving hole, OOB left and tree lined to the right.

Great event.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we went we generally found that the groups with big names in them attract a huge swarm of followers but around many groups spectating was very comfortable. Some groups have hardly anyone following.

We liked to spend some time in the stands behind the 14th and 16th greens but you need to be there a long time before any big name groups arrive as they fill up quickly. A decent spot is to the left of the 17th green as the views are great as many dont venture around there. I've included a link to a blog piece that I wrote a few years back about watching the PGA as its a bit different to watching other golf tournaments:

https://yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com/2018/05/28/wentworth-wanderings/

JSims

Visit site
Lucky enough to have tickets for Wentworth BMW Championship on Saturday. Never been before so wondering what best strategy is as a spectator to get the most out of the day. Would love to follow one group round from 1 to 18 but not sure how realistic this is, especially at the weekend. Any tips from those who've been there and got the t-shirt would be appreciated...
I've been a few times, though not the last couple.
I always found that behind the green of the Par 3s good places to view from. You can watch the entire group tee off, see the result and watch the ret of the hole. Then watch the tee shots on the next hole. 2nd, 10th and 14th work well for that. 5th not so well though, as 6 tee is pushed way back and that (possible danger) restricts viewing of 5th green.
Worth considering taking food and drink as that's quite a rip-off on the course.
Wentworth is actually a pretty good course to simply watch while on the move, as pathways give pretty good views.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Getting into the grandstands can be tough as they are often reserved or only open to BMW drivers.

A good place to aim for is the "loop" which starts with the 7th green, short par 4 8th over water, longish par 5 9th, short par 3 10th and back to the start of the loop with the 11th tee. Options to sit and watch players come through or follow a group.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Been several times, plenty of options available, I like to get behind the flag on the 2nd hole (par3) watch a few groups go through, then follow a particular group for a few holes.

The big names will have huge numbers following them, so choose a hole, get in position and wait, trying to see what is going on through crowds 9 deep is no fun.

The 17th is a good hole to get behind, a great range of approach shots can be viewed.

There is only 1 rule, you must visit the yum yum girls in their van for a bacon butty, they’ll be near the entrance

Enjoy ?

NearHull

Visit site
We’ve been many times when we lived a bit closer. Some very good advice in the last few posts. I would add it’s worthwhile around midday to go ‘backwards’ ie 17 to 7 then to pick a few groups to move ‘ forward ‘ with occassionally staying at a hole and letting the crowd go through whilst you reposition to be closer to the green.

NearHull

Visit site
Unless you're 9 foot tall, Wentworth isn't a follow big names course. I like sitting at the back of greens like 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 14th. I always end the day in the 18th grandstand , getting in there just after lunch.
Agree. If you’re not in the grandstand you will not see anything of the last few groups on 18.

Mark S

Visit site
When we went we generally found that the groups with big names in them attract a huge swarm of followers but around many groups spectating was very comfortable. Some groups have hardly anyone following.

We liked to spend some time in the stands behind the 14th and 16th greens but you need to be there a long time before any big name groups arrive as they fill up quickly. A decent spot is to the left of the 17th green as the views are great as many dont venture around there. I've included a link to a blog piece that I wrote a few years back about watching the PGA as its a bit different to watching other golf tournaments:

https://yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com/2018/05/28/wentworth-wanderings/
Unless you're 9 foot tall, Wentworth isn't a follow big names course. I like sitting at the back of greens like 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 11th, 13th, 14th. I always end the day in the 18th grandstand , getting in there just after lunch.

Thanks Ian
When you say sitting at the back of greens is that literal sitting or figurative? Can you take stuff in to sit on?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
As mentioned above, the area around the 7th green, 8th&11th tee and 10th green is great to watch all sorts of golf. And there's a bar and toilets close by!

The tee shot on 4th is always fun for me. You see absolutely nothing from the tee, head over the hill and the whole thing opens up. Again, that green is a nice place to stop for a few groups with the par 3 5th, complete with bar and toilets!