Weight Transfer

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
James, I think you're making assumptions here.
What if Shewy had his right foot flared out 30 degrees to start with and he has turned it in 20 deg? It will still be poiting outwards a little.

I agree it's an assumption but going by what he said if he does have his foot turned in I'd recommend that he stops that straight away.

Given a preference I'd always like to see the right foot flared outwards 10-15 degrees for stablility and to allow the hips to perform their task.

Out of interest would you say that turning the right foot in would restrict WEIGHT SHIFT (as per the thread title) or just the turn?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I'm being told in my lessons, at address weight 50L/50R, at the top of the back swing weight 40L/60R right leg straigh, left leg turned in with knee slightly bent, on down swing left hip moves towards target, weight transfer 60L/40R, right arm tucks in and butt of club follows hip direction, keeping left shoulder towards target, release the club, square impact, nice follow through and taaa daaa a delicious draw dead on line.

I wish.

If only it was that easy.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I'm being told in my lessons, at address weight 50L/50R, at the top of the back swing weight 40L/60R right leg straigh, left leg turned in with knee slightly bent, on down swing left hip moves towards target, weight transfer 60L/40R, right arm tucks in and butt of club follows hip direction, keeping left shoulder towards target, release the club, square impact, nice follow through and taaa daaa a delicious draw dead on line.

I wish.

If only it was that easy.

:confused: If I was seeing someone that made golf sound that hard I would give up now. I have always had lessons with people that have an understanding of the swing and not just tell you what the text book says.

I tell you what I roughly do regarding weight distribution with everything apart from (driver and 3-wood). 60L/40R (55/45) at address. 55L/45R (50/50) on the backswing, I never fully transfer onto the back foot then at impact it is probably around 75L/25R. They are just rough figures but I never fully transfer all my weight onto the back foot. When I do I get stuck and just look left cause I am gonna hit it with a hook. Maybe not text book, but it works really well for me. I like to keep my weight on the front foot as it enables me to strike the ball correctly with power and accuracy.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
:confused: If I was seeing someone that made golf sound that hard I would give up now. I have always had lessons with people that have an understanding of the swing and not just tell you what the text book says.

The way I written that does make it sound complicated, but, for me it works, the style of teaching that is. I get shown what is required of me and it's explained and while that may seem a little drawn out, it helps the info absorption into my brain so when I go practice I know what I need to do.

Tis horses for courses what works for one, may not for someone else.

While I've waited for my lesson I've ear wigged the lesson before and the way the teacher deals with that guy is totally different to me and that I think is the sign of a good teacher, someone who can adapt to make themselves clear to their pupils.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
:confused: If I was seeing someone that made golf sound that hard I would give up now. I have always had lessons with people that have an understanding of the swing and not just tell you what the text book says however I'm now going to go on and describe my swing in as much detail as a text book, if not a bit more, and hopefully I'll confuse the lot of ya!.......................I tell you what I roughly do regarding weight distribution with everything apart from (driver and 3-wood). 60L/40R (55/45) at address. 55L/45R (50/50) on the backswing, I never fully transfer onto the back foot then at impact it is probably around 75L/25R. They are just rough figures but I never fully transfer all my weight onto the back foot. When I do I get stuck and just look left cause I am gonna hit it with a hook. Maybe not text book, but it works really well for me. I like to keep my weight on the front foot as it enables me to strike the ball correctly with power and accuracy.

Fixed that for you Adey :thup:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My foot was pointing straight to start with so was pointing in which kind of restricts the turn and stops the hip sliding.
If I flared the feet out how would I then stop the hipo slide?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My foot was pointing straight to start with so was pointing in which kind of restricts the turn and stops the hip sliding.
If I flared the feet out how would I then stop the hipo slide?

Like this...
Turn your left foot out towards the target about 45 degrees, yes...45 degrees!... now slide your hips about 2-3 inches to the left so they're slightly favouring being over the left leg.... have the ball in the center of your sternum, hit the ball from there.

If you have a little more weight on your left it stops how much you can slide your hips to the right on the backswing (the backswing is supposed to be a TURN, not a slide) and it will make you feel a little more 'over' the ball.... so less brain power telling you that you need to slide.

Lots of people slide their hips to the right whilst trying to keep their head over the ball.. this is called a reverse pivot and it's pretty ugly.

our hips need to rotate 35-50 degrees to hit the ball so there's not much to be gained by trying to restrict the turn... only the slide needs restricting :thup: as I said before the backswing is SUPPOSED to be a turn so why would you try to restrict that part???? It's definitely not supposed to be a slide though :D

I'm sure some others will chip in with THEIR cures for stopping the slide on the way back...... but you DO need to slide a little forwards on the way DOWN so that your body leads the club (not the other way round)... you can just spin your hips open on the way down like a spinning top... there's a slide and turn together... will see if i can find some Youtube vids (unless someone else beats me to it... :thup:)

Ideally you should think of the swing as

a nice tuuuuuurrrrrrn....... then GO FOR IT!!!
:p

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ok.... BACKSWING... watch were his right hip goes at 49 seconds - 52 seconds in this swing... look at the SLOPE that is on that right leg... it's not vertical. His right leg is never in a vertical position for the entire video as he never slides his hips over it... they turn behind him
[video=youtube;0CSHqnYNijw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw[/video]

There another one you should see where he slides his butt along a mirror for the downswing.... but I can't find it right now :confused:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
There another one you should see where he slides his butt along a mirror for the downswing.... but I can't find it right now :confused:

here you go.... as you can see the left hip ends up MORE LEFT through the DOWNSWING

[video=youtube;NNwSfz0_KDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM[/video]

:thup:

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
here you go.... as you can see the left hip ends up MORE LEFT through the DOWNSWING

[video=youtube;NNwSfz0_KDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM[/video]

:thup:

The video more or less covers what I wrote; What I am being taught and while it looks easy, getting the timing right is not.

Lots of practice needed.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fixed that for you Adey :thup:

I see your point James........:whistle:

Yes maybe a bit in depth. I was just trying to emphasise a point that you need to find the weight distribution that suits you, rather than going on the text book answer.

Regarding something you mentioned earlier. Turning the foot in would not directly affect the weight transfer, but because it restricts the back swing then indirectly it affects the weight shift. I had a go last night on the course to see what happened and it did affect weight shift but it was because my back swing was shorter.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Nice vid James thanks for sharing.

I always did say that the right leg must remain flexed throughout the backswing.:mmm:

Hehe.. when you say it should remain flexed people take that too literally and don't even move the leg. If your foot stays planted as your right hip moves backwards then by DEFAULT your leg must straighten a bit... hence the phrase 'allow your right leg to straighten'... no one I know ever said to lock it at the knee.

If you allow your leg to straighten then it might be just a little (retaining quite a bit of flex) or it may be quite a lot (retaining very little flex).... either way it should straighten at least a bit unless you're not turning your hips properly of course!!! :whistle: