Weekly Summer Competition Fees

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our Club has increased weekly fees this year by 33% from 3 to £4. Accept it is only £1 but the Club only pay out 80/85% in prizes the remainder being held back for engraving/ Guest Presentation Day speaker plus sundries. It was disappointing that there was no advice. The Club generates bar income from members which may be lost if they decide to go elsewhere.

What are your weekly fees and thoughts please?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
£2 for us. £4 sounds excessive when you already pay membership fees. £4 would put me off playing comps, I'd just put in cards from social games. (Bearing in mind that £4 is an even bigger leap for me so maybe that colours my opinion)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ours are £5 for the Saturday and the midweek comp.

Between the 8 or so of us that regularly play weve decided just to play a bit of a swindle amongst ourselves. Chuck a fiver in and the winner buys the pints.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours have been £4 for a while. I've no problem with that as we pay out 1st-3rd in each division and the rest goes towards engraving etc. It comes off our membership card (one we use at the bar) so don't really see/feel it coming out, If you have to pull out at least 24 hours in advance you get refunded

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£3 entry and £1 twos and the club take 20% of both.

Quite a few have stopped playing in them apparently since they introduced the 20% levy.

Boomy

Visit site
It’s £5 total at Silloth, £3 comp and £2 two’s I’m sure the split is.

If there is a decent prize pot, trophy engraving etc I’ve no problem with £5 - the buffet at the prize giving night was great too if the entry fees go towards that ?

Edit: I can’t help but wonder if it’s the same members grumbling about £3/4/5 comp fees who spend £1000’s every year on kit…. ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our Club has increased weekly fees this year by 33% from 3 to £4. Accept it is only £1 but the Club only pay out 80/85% in prizes the remainder being held back for engraving/ Guest Presentation Day speaker plus sundries. It was disappointing that there was no advice. The Club generates bar income from members which may be lost if they decide to go elsewhere.

members or proprietary club? how many play in an average comp? how much do you think the costs (ie trophies engraving etc) cost? - 15-20% seems pretty low to me having worked as a treasurer for clubs in the past

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
members or proprietary club? how many play in an average comp? how much do you think the costs (ie trophies engraving etc) cost? - 15-20% seems pretty low to me having worked as a treasurer for clubs in the past
Members Club. Usually 140 and although not that many early in the season because of daylight hours the first comp is next week with the last mid October.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don’t play in the competition if you don’t like it…….