Weekly Summer Competition Fees

YandaB

Visit site
£5 per comp, all year, mid week and weekends. £1 of that if for 2s in individual comps. I think 5% goes to the junior section.

Jason.H

Visit site
Our Club has increased weekly fees this year by 33% from 3 to £4. Accept it is only £1 but the Club only pay out 80/85% in prizes the remainder being held back for engraving/ Guest Presentation Day speaker plus sundries. It was disappointing that there was no advice. The Club generates bar income from members which may be lost if they decide to go elsewhere.

What are your weekly fees and thoughts please?
Still cheaper than a pint.

D

Deleted member 25575

What if you can only get a tee time on a Saturday via the competition? If a club has a lot of members, a lot playing in comps it can be the only way to get a game.
My old club was like that, but you were able to play in a comp group without entering the comp

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You're all lucky to have weekly comps, apart from a few extras over the summer, it is once a month at the weekend for us.

Back to the question. £1.50 entry plus optional scratch and handicap sweeps and a 2s pot. All £1 each.
I usually enter everything, so £4.50.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
£5 which includes £1 into the 2s pot. 1 medal and 1 stableford a month between March and October, 1 stableford and 1 yellow tee stableford between November and February.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old club was like that, but you were able to play in a comp group without entering the comp
That's how it should be, imo, but isn't the case at some places. It does tend to exclude chunks of the membership if it is comp only people, yes ladies, I'm including you in this comment ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play in the competition then and put yourself up for the Committee then you can see if your views match the views/reasoning on the other members
As I'm sure you know, it often doesn't work that way, it is not that easy. What has always been, what suits the hardcore, the most vocal is often what goes. Most members are apathetic, what percentage actually go to an agm for example? Ultimately, you don't like it, you leave.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
£4 comps.
£1 optional 2s sweep. Can put up to £4 in 2s sweep for equivalent multiple payouts. Hole-in-one gets counted as two 2s.
We have 5 par-3s.
I'll leave you guessing what I generally do. I'm not going into print about it. ;)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
£4 plus optional £1 2's sweep, can buy a maximum of 2 shares. Hole in one pays half the pot, 80-85% paid out in prizes top 10% receiving credit in the shop ranging from £70 to £10. During the summer entries range from around 120 to 180.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
£4 which includes a £1 for the twos sweep. About 88% of the £4 is returned in prizes (it varies depending on the number of entrants). The rest goes to fund trophy engraving, updating of honours boards, licensing for competition management software, printing consumables, funding for the clubs teams, entry into county competitions, residual funding for comps where a loss is made (we have a few comps a year where the entry is a fixed £5 but the prizes are considerably more than the entry fees) and other miscellaneous purchases.

I put the cost up from £3 to £4 shortly after becoming treasurer back in 2008, having realised that our income did not cover our expenditure at the time. At the same time I also put in place a formal structure of prize payouts because previous to that the prizes were seemingly random and decided on a whim. The committee never consulted with the membership (we are a proprietary club). No one complained. No one left. Everyone saw the benefit.

It was a bigger furore when the Club Management decided to put up the price of a cup of coffee from £1 to £1.50....the seniors didn't like that at all!!!

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
£4 which includes a £1 for the twos sweep. About 88% of the £4 is returned in prizes (it varies depending on the number of entrants). The rest goes to fund trophy engraving, updating of honours boards, licensing for competition management software, printing consumables, funding for the clubs teams, entry into county competitions, residual funding for comps where a loss is made (we have a few comps a year where the entry is a fixed £5 but the prizes are considerably more than the entry fees) and other miscellaneous purchases.

I put the cost up from £3 to £4 shortly after becoming treasurer back in 2008, having realised that our income did not cover our expenditure at the time. At the same time I also put in place a formal structure of prize payouts because previous to that the prizes were seemingly random and decided on a whim. The committee never consulted with the membership (we are a proprietary club). No one complained. No one left. Everyone saw the benefit.

It was a bigger furore when the Club Management decided to put up the price of a cup of coffee from £1 to £1.50....the seniors didn't like that at all!!!
Our coffee from the machine also went up to £1.50 from £1.00, outrageous!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Members Club. Usually 140 and although not that many early in the season because of daylight hours the first comp is next week with the last mid October.

theyll barely be covering costs if at all on the take of 15-20%, expect you can work it out from the annual accounts but seems reasonable to low to my eye