WEEKEND MUSINGS

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
No golf for us old timers on the weekend, so here I am letting my imagination run wild again.

When I'm playing, all I want to do is play,
but when I'm not playing, I want to do things for which I have NO QUALIFICATIONS WHATEVER TO DO--
design golf clubs and golf courses!

In my ever-evolving bag right now?
driver, 4-wood, seven wood
driving iron
5-PW
Smart Sole short game set (C, G, S, L--bought slightly used and cheap from someone who hated it).
putter.

Nothing remarkable there, but I'm thinking of other, out of the box things right now on Sunday.

If a major OEM, for example, requested my input on an OLDE BOOMER MODEL set of irons,
I'd tell them this: Get rid of the boring club numbers and give them cool names instead.

20°___Long Iron
25°___Mid Iron
30°___Long Mashie
35°___Mid Mashie
40°___Long Niblick
45°___Mid Niblick
50°___Chipping Wedge
55°___Pitching Wedge
60°___Lobbing Wedge

I want it!!! But nobody else probably does. But I still want it!!!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I like your thinking.
I have a set of 12 (1 to 10 and PW and SW) Petron Impala irons that match your three most lofted ones. 10w_50°, PW_55°, SW_60°

My imaginary set of irons would be numbered 1 to 10. Their lofts would be,

18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 45, 51, 58

I would then be able to say that I have 3 long irons, 4 mid irons and 3 short irons. I would give folk blank looks when they mention their "wedges".

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I still think we should have adjustable irons. We have it in drivers, fairway and hybrids, so why not irons. And most important, a rule change to allow loft adjustment during a round

One iron club does lofts for 4,5,6
A second does lofts for 7,8,9
And the third does lofts for PW, GW, SW

Add your Driver, FW, Hybrid/Driving iron & Putter and hey presto we only need 7 clubs! No more massive cart bags, gets more players walking, cheaper to buy or upgrade clubs, better carbon footprint etc etc. I can’t think of a negative

Mandofred

Visit site
I still think we should have adjustable irons. We have it in drivers, fairway and hybrids, so why not irons. And most important, a rule change to allow loft adjustment during a round

Add your Driver, FW, Hybrid/Driving iron & Putter and hey presto we only need 7 clubs! No more massive cart bags, gets more players walking, cheaper to buy or upgrade clubs, better carbon footprint etc etc. I can’t think of a negative
The "hit man" from the manufacturers is heading your way.......

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The "hit man" from the manufacturers is heading your way.......

I did think of that but I trust my personal security team to handle them.. and anyway they'll soon realise that their manufacture costs come down massively as does their freight costs and plenty other advantages for them, and players will upgrade their irons more often since they only need to buy 3 clubs!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can imagine the pace of play as everyone decides to adjust their irons for the shot. 😴😴😴

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can imagine the pace of play as everyone decides to adjust their irons for the shot. 😴😴😴

Stands to reason the mnftr's will soon come up with an adjustment method that requires no tool and a couple of seconds to adjust (some kind of pull/twist seems practicable) No need to add time to any round, it'll be as easy as taking a glove off/on

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There was a bit of a push for a 7 club limit a while back (no adjustables) and at least one professional tournament was held.

A good argument can be made for a maximum of 7 clubs, for a start it forces the player to be more creative with their clubs/shots rather than having one set swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just imagine how much extra time that would add to a round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Introduce a rule that says there must be a minimum difference in loft of around 8 degree in irons (including wedges). That would cut down the number of clubs needed, cut out indecision over what club to use and improve skills

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Time taken between shots.

Do I need a 5 or a 6, set it up for a 5i after you’ve zapped and assessed every variable. Oh…. The winds changed, adjust again… and again… and again.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Time taken between shots.

Do I need a 5 or a 6, set it up for a 5i after you’ve zapped and assessed every variable. Oh…. The winds changed, adjust again… and again… and again.

Why is that any diff to what happens now by walking back over to bag and pulling diff clubs after initial choice made
And at most it happens once or twice in a round and I play a windy course (& its never a back and forth, its just one change)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is that any diff to what happens now by walking back over to bag and pulling diff clubs after initial choice made
And at most it happens once or twice in a round and I play a windy course (& its never a back and forth, its just one change)

The pull and spring loaded tech may work, but the irons would all need to be a dual cog system like titleist and callaway to not effect the lie angle.

This would almost assure costs of £200-250 per club as we see with adjust utility irons