M Grind

Then finally:
50 degree
8 bounce
F grind

What do you guys think about it?

Good distance gapping?

Club to club, 4 degrees is a standard gap
The bounce etc is down to the conditions you face most often so those are entirely personal

The Evertonian

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm also currently looking at buying some wedges, think I'm gonna go for Callaways. What I would like to know is what is 'the grind'? There are so many 'r', 'm', 's' I just don't know what they signify.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been looking at vokey wedges today aswell, going for a fitting at American golf on Sunday.
How did you decide what bounce and grind was best suited to you.
You're gapping is spot on if your PW is 46 degrees, but is the 54 not need more bounce as this will be your sand wedge club? 8 isn't much.
Think I'm looking at 52/56/60 gapping

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went 52/58, couple with the 47 stock wedge I've never seen the need for 4 wedges, far to many options when you start playing with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full swing and that's not including choking down, opening the face etc etc

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hello all,

Bought a new SM6 today.

58 degree
10 bounce
S Grind.

Next on my list is:
54 degree
8 bounce
M Grind

Then finally:
50 degree
8 bounce
F grind

What do you guys think about it?

Good distance gapping?

Distance gapping? No idea? How far do you hit them?

Just because the lofts are evenly spaced, doesn't automatically mean the distances will.

FWIW, I carry a 52° and 58° as per signature.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't be without a 60* wedge for round the greens. Toying with the idea of trying a PM grind one.....

Others are 50 and 55, very rarely hit them full out so cover all distances I need.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having a 60 and practicing a bit with it gives you a definite edge on the field.

I see so many experienced players playing the wrong shot when they need to take a 60 around the green. They make the up and down so much harder than it should have been.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Having a 60 and practicing a bit with it gives you a definite edge on the field.

I see so many experienced players playing the wrong shot when they need to take a 60 around the green. They make the up and down so much harder than it should have been.

whilt I have a 60 myself. I know plenty with 56/58 who's short game is good enough to escape the tightest of spots. If you've short sighted yourself then maybe the previous shot is the one needed to practice.

At my level, I see far more pars made from two putts than from up and downs.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been looking at vokey wedges today aswell, going for a fitting at American golf on Sunday.
How did you decide what bounce and grind was best suited to you.
You're gapping is spot on if your PW is 46 degrees, but is the 54 not need more bounce as this will be your sand wedge club? 8 isn't much.
Think I'm looking at 52/56/60 gapping

Hello Simbo,

I too have used American golf in the past!

I play predominately links golf courses.

With that in mind I need a low bounce as the club tends to skip along the surface as opposed to dig in to the turf.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site

With my 58, I can certainly open the club face up and use it as a 60 if need be.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm also currently looking at buying some wedges, think I'm gonna go for Callaways. What I would like to know is what is 'the grind'? There are so many 'r', 'm', 's' I just don't know what they signify.

Check this out mate, hopefully it will help you out

If you're still struggling head to American golf and get fitted, they will physically explain the difference with the clubs.

http://www.vokey.com/nav/wedge-selection.aspx

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use 52,56,60. It was a nice set up as my old PW was 48*. However my new irons are cranked a bit so the PW is 45*. At the moment I am filling the gap with my old PW but when it's time to buy new shiny wedges, I'll probably go down the 50,54,58 route and drop the old PW out.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use 52,56,60. It was a nice set up as my old PW was 48*. However my new irons are cranked a bit so the PW is 45*. At the moment I am filling the gap with my old PW but when it's time to buy new shiny wedges, I'll probably go down the 50,54,58 route and drop the old PW out.

Yes Craigg, this is the reason I went down my route.

My current PW is 45 so it fits in my line to go 50, 54, 58

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's a pic of my entire wedge collection.
I don't know the loft, grind or bounce of them but I do know how far I can hit them

View attachment 21623

You have got to move with the times Bob and of course you don't play much now either.

I have 45,50,54,58 and I also know how far I hit each one and have many variables too.

No difference to work tools really you need all the options to make the job easier imo.
Each to their own so no right or wrong but whatever you go with practice and from different lies.