Wedges wedges wedges

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why are some wedges designed to rust, like those Nike engage models. Iv read about the rust increasing spin but it sounds like an old wife's tale to me??

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello all,

Bought a new SM6 today.

58 degree
10 bounce
S Grind.

Next on my list is:
54 degree
8 bounce
M Grind

Then finally:
50 degree
8 bounce
F grind

What do you guys think about it?

Good distance gapping?

i have similar set up in sm5 just with different bounces

58 degree 11 bounce k grind

54 degree 14 bounce f grind

50 degree 12 bounce f grind

like them so much I got a pitching wedge in 46 degree 8 bounce f grind

still carry my pitch which is 43 degree as I currently have space but I hardly use it and go for the vokeys more often than not

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i have similar set up in sm5 just with different bounces

58 degree 11 bounce k grind

54 degree 14 bounce f grind

50 degree 12 bounce f grind

like them so much I got a pitching wedge in 46 degree 8 bounce f grind

still carry my pitch which is 43 degree as I currently have space but I hardly use it and go for the vokeys more often than not

Yikes! What irons are those?

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I knew lofts had strengthened over the years I was away from golf. My own PW is now 45* and I was aware that some sets had a 44* wedge, but hadn't realized we'd crept down to 43*. How things change. (My old 8 iron was 40*)

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I knew lofts had strengthened over the years I was away from golf. My own PW is now 45* and I was aware that some sets had a 44* wedge, but hadn't realized we'd crept down to 43*. How things change. (My old 8 iron was 40*)

Agree mate, my 9 iron is a 40!! My PW is a 45

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My PW is 46 which I thought was fairly standard but clearly there is a trend to even stronger ones. I like my 6 degree gap (52 & 58) but if sets are going to be 45 or stronger, then I'll need something like 50, 54 and 58 which means making an adjustment elsewhere to get the extra wedge on. Is it a conspiracy by the OEM's to get us buying more clubs (wedges)

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My PW is 46 which I thought was fairly standard but clearly there is a trend to even stronger ones. I like my 6 degree gap (52 & 58) but if sets are going to be 45 or stronger, then I'll need something like 50, 54 and 58 which means making an adjustment elsewhere to get the extra wedge on. Is it a conspiracy by the OEM's to get us buying more clubs (wedges)

You make a good point about conspiracies.

I just wonder if this is the wy the game is going with stronger irons to try and get more distance?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
PW from my set (Taylormade R11) is 42 degree, SW is 46.

Carry a 52 degree wedge which I really don't like and a 60 degree which is really handy around the greens.
With the 52, I have no issues as long as I'm not playing full shots. It's all in my head, I just don't like that club.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
My PW is 46 so 50 55 60 is the best I think I can do. 50 and 55 were awkward to get used to after being 52 56 for all of my golfing life. But I think it was more in my head!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My PW is 45- have 50/56/60 wedge. Always meant to get the 56 bent into a 55 but just haven't got round to it yet and to be honest don't really notice it at all. Doubt 1 degree makes a lot of difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought 50 54 58 ping glide £69 each
i changed my irons and the wedge is 45

i think this is to get people to buy hybrids as the lofts on long irons now are getting silly most people can't hit them .

so to close the gap it leaves at the other end you need four wedges don't forget the wedges are the scoring clubs and I have always carried four.