Wedges wedges wedges

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've worked hard on my pitching with my 52/58 degree wedges and learned to vary flight and learn my distances from 50 yards and in with both clubs. I can open both, change ball position etc to get the ball to fly different ways to the same distance. I've Ping Glide in standard sole and I love them. I do love the Vokey's too and a little bit jealous of the OP and his new set up to come, that will work for his course set up. I had a Titleist fitting at a demo day last year and still have the set up and threads like these aren't helping my resistance to not buy new gear in 2017.

I always find wedges as personal as putters and some (Cally in particular) don't sit right to my eye over the ball. Some of the Cleveland I find too heavy, something I have struggled with in the past but the latest model feel much better and Vokey always look good behind the ball

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
i treated myself at christmas to 50° 54° and 60° black rtx 2.0 wedges. buy two get one free at clubhouse. 10° bounce. standard grind. very neutral options. i was going to get a 58° but had been using a borrowed 60° and loved it so stuck with one. they're beautiful. nice and heavy. so easy to hit.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've worked hard on my pitching with my 52/58 degree wedges and learned to vary flight and learn my distances from 50 yards and in with both clubs. I can open both, change ball position etc to get the ball to fly different ways to the same distance. I've Ping Glide in standard sole and I love them. I do love the Vokey's too and a little bit jealous of the OP and his new set up to come, that will work for his course set up. I had a Titleist fitting at a demo day last year and still have the set up and threads like these aren't helping my resistance to not buy new gear in 2017.

I always find wedges as personal as putters and some (Cally in particular) don't sit right to my eye over the ball. Some of the Cleveland I find too heavy, something I have struggled with in the past but the latest model feel much better and Vokey always look good behind the ball

These new vokeys mate are exceptional.

Ive used mine today around the chipping green.

I can't believe how much control and spin I generate from them...even with the littlest of shots from the tightest lies.

One bounce and stick from a 15 yard dink.

No bounce and stick and spin from 20 yards out!

WOW

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 45 pw, 52 and 58. But there is 30-40 yards between the 45 + 52 so been looking for a 48 on eBay for ages to no avail. Will have to bite the bullet before too long.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Find it a bit odd when folk refer to certain lofted wedges as a sand wedge ie 50-52-54-56 etc etc.
A few years ago when I got my first vokey wedge I managed to get hold of a Titliest booklet that had all there products in re woods, irons, wedges, putters. Anyway Titliest did not specifically say a certain wedge did a certain job, it did more than one job ie a 56 degree wedge could be a pitching, sand and lob wedge depending on the players needs.
probably more important was the actual bounce on the club.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having a 60 and practicing a bit with it gives you a definite edge on the field.

I see so many experienced players playing the wrong shot when they need to take a 60 around the green. They make the up and down so much harder than it should have been.

What shots are these?

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I got 50 and 54 SM6 wedges for Christmas after getting fitted during a Titleist demo day a few months ago. The difference these clubs have made to my short game is unbelievable. I find I'm nipping the ball lovely with lots of check and spin (never something that troubled my balls previously!!). During my fitting I was surprised how much of a difference varying bounce and grinds made to my shots. Thoroughly impressed with these clubs. A 58 or 60 will be my next purchase.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
I was tied between Vokey's and the Mizuno T7 wedges. Having been converted to irons by a friend. I had never even contemplated their Irons. Now after using their Wedges I can safely say I am a Mizuno man, they feel absolutely amazing. The gimmicky blue colour will fade but the feel with them is excellent and they give a great progression through from 50 to 60 degree heads. If anyone is looking into new wedges be sure to put them in your test list! Will do a review tomorrow after a bit of on course testing.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Could also be an open 52* with a good strike and a bit of stop.

Loft is like a penis. Massive loft is only handy if you know how to use it.

Thing is Baz, on a down hill pitch you have lean with the slope or you'll duff it.

Based on a 60° your attack angle into the ball will be steeper and the loft at impact will be less. Youre also going to have to play it with a fullish swing to get the best of the loft.

The ball would come out flatter with less spin.

That ball is going to run out when it lands.

Why not just play a 52° with a half swing,let it land short and hop on. Conditions dependant obviously.

Much safer shot.

I'm my honest opinion of course :D

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was tied between Vokey's and the Mizuno T7 wedges. Having been converted to irons by a friend. I had never even contemplated their Irons. Now after using their Wedges I can safely say I am a Mizuno man, they feel absolutely amazing. The gimmicky blue colour will fade but the feel with them is excellent and they give a great progression through from 50 to 60 degree heads. If anyone is looking into new wedges be sure to put them in your test list! Will do a review tomorrow after a bit of on course testing.

Just a personal opinion but I couldn't possibly play with blue golf clubs. Irons are not supposed to be blue...

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a personal opinion but I couldn't possibly play with blue golf clubs. Irons are not supposed to be blue...
Completely agreed with you...until I tried them! I think the blue contrasts against the ball well. But I am just very impressed with them overall. The blue will dull down and has already started to leaving quite a cool finish. Give them a go, if you haven't already!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Completely agreed with you...until I tried them! I think the blue contrasts against the ball well. But I am just very impressed with them overall. The blue will dull down and has already started to leaving quite a cool finish. Give them a go, if you haven't already!

I've seen blue already, deffo not for me as I said above.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got PW/50/55/60 in the bag at the moment, must admit I do enjoy using the ole wedges, got a mean flop shot going on which to be honest is my saving grace at the moment, I'm lethal from about 40/50yds out... :thup: