Wedge gaps

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play Adams Blue irons up to pitching wedge which is 45 degree loft! I also have a 56 degree Callaway MD3 milled wedge. I am looking to gap but just wondered if there was any rule of thumb or just personal preference?

If I got 50 degree gap wedge, it would be a 5 degree gap and 6 degree gap between wedges, If I went with 52m it would be 7 and 4

Any thoughts?

Cheers

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You need to find out what distance you hit you pw and your 56 as I think just going on loft can be misleading, for example I have two volley 56 wedges I hit one further than the other, I can only explain it away due to age difference...older goes further.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to find out what distance you hit you pw and your 56 as I think just going on loft can be misleading, for example I have two volley 56 wedges I hit one further than the other, I can only explain it away due to age difference...older goes further.

A guy at American Golf I chat to said he would measure the two wedges I have on the Trackman! Cheers, will see what he says

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A guy at American Golf I chat to said he would measure the two wedges I have on the Trackman! Cheers, will see what he says

Sounds like a plan, imagine it'll be a 50* gap wedge but worth checking on the Trackman if you can 👍👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go 50 but you are in the area when the shaft will normally change on most wedges to wedge flex which is a stiffer shaft than you would find in your 46.

Personally I have never found a real reason to match makes when it comes to wedges because for me they are in the bag to a different 'job' to the irons and slightly different jobs to each other. eg the bounce on the club you use bunkers should match the sand where you play. I carry a 54/8 and 58/14 to allow for the differences in the sand where I play and both clubs give different options for greenside shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have 46 degree PW, 52 wedge and 58 SW so a nice split. They give me a decent distance in terms of gapping but you need to get on a monitor or pace it out on a practice ground and see what the options you have give

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played with 108, 92, 76 and 65 yd wedges for years now and the latter 2 get swapped around depending on course and conditions.

As cabby has posted, don't get hung up on specs, and as jim8flog posted, find ones that work for you (rather than look pretty in the bag).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have played with 108, 92, 76 and 65 yd wedges for years now and the latter 2 get swapped around depending on course and conditions.

As cabby has posted, don't get hung up on specs, and as jim8flog posted, find ones that work for you (rather than look pretty in the bag).

this, its also worth thinking about different bounce options