weatherproofing during building

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a google and i cant seem to find the answer.. Normally you don't open the house up to the new part until its weather proof, but We are taking our conservatory down to replace with a proper extension, however the conservatory used to open into the living room, i blocked this up with a stud wall. So at the minute, i have about 5m2 of raw plaster board which i will eventually bring flush with the existing (internal now, but when conservatory goes down, its a short term external wall!) wall, but its going to be exposed to the elements for maybe 6 months plus. What should i weather proof it with??

I was thinking OSB board and tarp.. any better suggestions?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Is the plasterboard on the stud currently staying in situ or coming back down, if it's staying in situ will it be just plastered in the future to form an internal wall into the extension?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the plasterboard on the stud currently staying in situ or coming back down, if it's staying in situ will it be just plastered in the future to form an internal wall into the extension?

Yes, will be staying and skimmed once all sorted, but for now its obv not suitable to be outside.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's going to be exposed for 6 months I would be plying both sides for security as much as weather proofing.

no need, its in an enclosed rear garden, and will be covering a stud wall with plasterboard on both sides. plus someone is in my house pretty much 24/7.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes, will be staying and skimmed once all sorted, but for now its obv not suitable to be outside.

I wish you had asked before you boarded it on the external side as it would have been better to render board it and then render it with a waterproof render or basic render and guard it with a waterproof sealer, no timber or tarp then. At the end you could have left it all on then PVA and skimmed over it if you wanted a more internal finish.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
A picture explains it better, wall.jpg

So it used to be a double door width into the living room, now behind the cabinet is unfinished plasterboard (there to hold the insulation in really) the other side (ie in the living room) is finished, skimmed, painted etc. I want this to stay dry. I have the opening to use to maybe attach some batons to screw some boards up, eventually the wall will be completely flush to the brick wall, then boarded and skimmed.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish you had asked before you boarded it on the external side as it would have been better to render board it and then render it with a waterproof render or basic render and guard it with a waterproof sealer, no timber or tarp then. At the end you could have left it all on then PVA and skimmed over it if you wanted a more internal finish.

Its only boarded with ten quids worth of plasterboard. Behind that is wood stud. Its not in the finished position anyway. Just looking for a short term weatherproof fix. When it comes to the final finish, will prob add another wooden stud and pb it all (ie over the exposed brickwork too)

I might now even just brick it up, cant be arsed with the hassle of it potentially leaking.

D

Deleted member 1740

Its only boarded with ten quids worth of plasterboard. Behind that is wood stud. Its not in the finished position anyway. Just looking for a short term weatherproof fix. When it comes to the final finish, will prob add another wooden stud and pb it all (ie over the exposed brickwork too)

I might now even just brick it up, cant be arsed with the hassle of it potentially leaking.

Marine ply over the plasterboard would be sufficient.