Weather

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this our new future? Or is this just a one-off? Golf memberships as a whole will cease to be viable if we can expect 5 months of rain every year.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is this our new future? Or is this just a one-off? Golf memberships as a whole will cease to be viable if we can expect 5 months of rain every year.
Who knows. Personally I think we’re in for a few years of random weather.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, as this is pretty much the first year this has happened you may well be going into blind panic too early. Let's see what the situation is in 5 years time 🤷‍♀️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, as this is pretty much the first year this has happened you may well be going into blind panic too early. Let's see what the situation is in 5 years time 🤷‍♀️
Have heard mutterings about it being down to climate change... less cold snaps but more rain... I'm very far from an expert so who knows.

Mine's extremely viable Ta...;)
Sure, but you might find it getting a lot more expensive when other golf memberships aren't viable. 😛

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have heard mutterings about it being down to climate change... less cold snaps but more rain... I'm very far from an expert so who knows.
That ultimately may be right but you can't judge based on a sample of one year. We need to see if there will be a pattern and that takes time. If you looked at the last 10 years you would say this has been a freak year. If we see this year repeated 3 or 4 times in the next 5-6 years then it goes from being a freak year to being the new normal.

Springveldt

Visit site
That ultimately may be right but you can't judge based on a sample of one year. We need to see if there will be a pattern and that takes time. If you looked at the last 10 years you would say this has been a freak year. If we see this year repeated 3 or 4 times in the next 5-6 years then it goes from being a freak year to being the new normal.
Was it not really wet in 2019-2020 as well? I remember trying to build the decking that year, started in November and didn't get it finished until January as it rained every time I tried to get the power tools out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it not really wet in 2019-2020 as well? I remember trying to build the decking that year, started in November and didn't get it finished until January as it rained every time I tried to get the power tools out.
That's only three months, we're currently moving into month number 5 of rain. 😖

I genuinely saw a social media post yesterday saying "heatwave set to end". End?? I was still waiting for one to start?

Springveldt

Visit site
The weather up here in the North East hasn't been that bad lately. Few showers here and there but none of the lashing it down for hours on end for a couple of weeks now. It's just bloody cold with that north wind but the course is finally drying out, the feature ponds on the fairways have shrunk to puddles now. Saw someone at the weekend in a pair of wellies collecting all the balls from them, a couple of weeks ago he would have needed waders and possibly a life preserver for that.

Springveldt

Visit site
That's only three months, we're currently moving into month number 5 of rain. 😖

I genuinely saw a social media post yesterday saying "heatwave set to end". End?? I was still waiting for one to start?
Maybe the social media post was from someone in Australia? :)

PaulMdj

Visit site
The weather up here in the North East hasn't been that bad lately. Few showers here and there but none of the lashing it down for hours on end for a couple of weeks now. It's just bloody cold with that north wind but the course is finally drying out, the feature ponds on the fairways have shrunk to puddles now. Saw someone at the weekend in a pair of wellies collecting all the balls from them, a couple of weeks ago he would have needed waders and possibly a life preserver for that.
Taking some forecasts with a pinch of salt, fingers crossed they’re right as after a few showers tomorrow the next 14 days are dry here on the coast.😇

Springveldt

Visit site
Taking some forecasts with a pinch of salt, fingers crossed they’re right as after a few showers tomorrow the next 14 days are dry here on the coast.😇
Was looking at the Met Office forecasts today as well, same for where I'm at. Showers tomorrow but nothing much else on their forecasts into next week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure to be honest. If it was wet, it didn't go on for as long. I always see January as a write off month so that doesn't count, it's taken as read 😄. It's the way this has stretched out that's made it so exceptional I'd say.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Another 14mm of rain here yesterday, just as the course was drying out and firming up nicely.

That’s 28% of May’s average rainfall on day 1.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another hopeless piece of forecasting. Absolutely hammered it down overnight, course closed.
Yup, our place too. I'm sat here in my golf gear like a lemon, didn't check my phone before getting dressed 🙄. It must have given it welly last night.

I'm due to play an open at hexham on Monday afternoon. Current forecast for then is biblical rain plus lightning 😭

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yup, our place too. I'm sat here in my golf gear like a lemon, didn't check my phone before getting dressed 🙄. It must have given it welly last night.

I'm due to play an open at hexham on Monday afternoon. Current forecast for then is biblical rain plus lightning 😭
Went to bed last night after watching the local forecast. Showers predicted, but nothing heavy. Didn’t think for a second this morning would be in doubt. Got woken up at 4am with thunder and lightning, and it was chucking it down. Went back to sleep, woke up at 6.45, still hammering down.

Let’s hope Mondays forecast is equally accurate. Hexham is a lovely course.