Waterproof Shoes

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I've never tried the Otter socks that were linked to, but I can confirm that Sealskinz are absolutely waterproof.
I've also tried Dexshell socks, and while they work to an extent, they aren't completely waterproof.

I bought 3 pairs of Dexshell socks in a sale a few months ago as I couldn't find any sealskinz on offer - the cheaper ones I later realised were not 100% waterporoof, and it actually said it on the packaging, but pretty good - the more expensive pair have been 100% waterproof so far.

My previous pair of sealskinz lasted a couple of years until they rubbed through, but I do have wide feet, so the larger size means that there is movement in my shoes when I walk. Even so, about a pound a month was a lot cheaper than new shoes! :D

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only truly waterproof shoes I can remember owning were the old Stylo moulded plastic/rubber type.

They lasted forever but your feet couldn't breathe so Odor-eaters were a must. :sick:

View attachment 33871

To add to those were the Dunlop all rubber in the same design and the Adidas Cruiser which were so heavy that you came of the course nearly dragging you feet around.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you post how you find them? I bought mine a few years ago and they are a little thick, they feel like 2 socks sewn together. Tech may have moved on and if so I'll buy some more. It doesn't bother me in winter but in slightly warmer times a thinner version would be better.
I have several different pairs of Sealskinz. They do different thicknesses for different uses. I have for road cycling and mountain biking. I'm not sure if they do golf specific ones, but perhaps some general walking socks may be suitable?

BTW, I find them completely waterproof. I have worn mine in heavy rain at Scarcroft, which, as anyone who has played there in winter will attest, is a complete bog in the rain. Water & mud squelching over the top of my ankles, but my feet remained dry.

NearHull

Visit site
Can you post how you find them? I bought mine a few years ago and they are a little thick, they feel like 2 socks sewn together. Tech may have moved on and if so I'll buy some more. It doesn't bother me in winter but in slightly warmer times a thinner version would be better.[/QUOTE

A late reply but the post delays meant that I didn’t receive the socks until last week. Since then I played 18 holes in sodden conditions and 9 holes this morning in damp conditions. The socks are winter thickness and cost around £37 from Sealskinz.

The first time of wearing them was good. My feet felt dry for the first 14/15 holes but then my right foot started to feel wet and a little cold. But, I was pleasantly surprised that when I changed my socks at the end of the game my feet were perfectly dry. The socks , in particularply, the right foot were very wet on the outside. Both shoes were very wet inside. Today in the damp and muddy conditions both feet were warm and dry throughout and at the end of the nine holes the socks were dry enough to continue to wear them in my street shoes.

So far then, a good buy - but time will tell. However,I will be buying a new pair of Footjoys Tours when they bring out their new styles in January.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been wearing the Footjoy golf boots. Very comfortable straight out of the box, warm and waterproof. Not bad for £59 off Ebay ?

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure how they compare to sealskins but Aldi occasionally stock waterproof socks at about £15.00 a pair. Not only waterproof but warm too.
may not suit the sweaty foot brigade but I only change my socks because I'm bored with them so no problem for me.

NearHull

Visit site
I know some people on here are determined to think that there's no such thing as waterproof shoes, but I picked up the FJ boots the other day and the Ultra Fit are exactly the same material, just a different design.
Both are clearly impenetrable.
I blast my Ultra Fit with the trolley cleaner water jet after each round, never had a single drop of water on the socks.

When I search Ultra Fit golf shoes the only results are Footjoy Ultrafit but I think you are referring another brand and not Footjoy

sunshine

Visit site
Our members have brains and a sense of responsibility.
They wash their hands after touching stuff.
It's well publicised and not difficult.

I'd like to think our members have brains too, but all air hoses, bunker rakes, ball washers etc have been removed since March.

The shoe cleaning hose out of action is a real pain. I'm glad I don't use a trolley, it must take people ages to clean them without it. I tend to think that things like this should be left available, it's up to the individual to assess the level of risk they are prepared to take.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We put the air hoses back in, with a hand sanitizer next to them. The car park was getting too muddy with idiots bashing their shoes together to clean them, next to their car. The same people then complain that the car park is a mess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd like to think our members have brains too, but all air hoses, bunker rakes, ball washers etc have been removed since March.

The shoe cleaning hose out of action is a real pain. I'm glad I don't use a trolley, it must take people ages to clean them without it. I tend to think that things like this should be left available, it's up to the individual to assess the level of risk they are prepared to take.

This. I think the club made the right decision under advice from health and safety etc and bunkers, bins etc make sense and there may have been an argument for the air hose to be left and it has been a pain getting shoes cleaned coming off a wet and muddy course but again, even allowing for members to make their own choice I think, even with sanitiser, it is still a risk the club assessed wasn't viable