Waterproof Shoes

NearHull

Visit site
I have worn Footjoys for twenty odd years. Dryjoys in the winter and other shoes in the summer. I understand Dryjoys come with a years guarantee. Mine seem to last three years before letting water in. I apply dubbin most weeks. A few questions for the forum.

1. Am I perhaps not maintaining the shoes correctly?
2. Should I only expect three years water ‘tight’ ?
3. Does anyone get longer water ‘ tight’ results from their winter shoes?

Footjoy have stopped the Tour range and are bringing out a replacement range in Jan. I’m unsure whether to put up with my leaking pair until then, or perhaps move to a different manufacturer. (I can’t locate a replacement pair in my size.)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your not doing bad if your getting three winter's of dry feet from one pair of shoes. That's like £40 a winter.

But in answer to your question. My mate who is a tight git sprays his shoes with tent waterproof spray a few times each winter. He swears by it

NearHull

Visit site
A bit of a correction. They are in the third year and are leaking.

The waterproof socks sound a reasonable idea. They are £22 a pair, whilst that is cheap relative to a new pair of shoes, are they a real solution?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The waterproof socks sound a reasonable idea. They are £22 a pair, whilst that is cheap relative to a new pair of shoes, are they a real solution?
I've never tried the Otter socks that were linked to, but I can confirm that Sealskinz are absolutely waterproof.
I've also tried Dexshell socks, and while they work to an extent, they aren't completely waterproof.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A bit of a correction. They are in the third year and are leaking.

They are. I wear mine all the time, I only have summer golf shoes that aren't waterproof, and my walking boots have sprung a leak.

I've walked in the sea with them on in trainers and had dry feet after.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 and a bit years is sadly very good now.

I'm another who gave up hoping to find the perfect waterproof shoe, multiple let downs, and bought some waterproof sealskinz socks. I don't wear them constantly, they are quite thick, but they do work. It means I now get shoes that are uber comfy, theoretically waterproof but when they inevitably leak I no long stress about it.

Waterproof socks are a calming buy ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to wear FJs but didn't think they lasted very long so I bought a pair of Sketchers. They were lovely and waterproof to start with but within a year they were leaking, so I got a replacement pair sent, this was at the beginning of this year and already they are leaking. so I guess your FJs are giving very good service

NearHull

Visit site
Many thanks for the help, I’ve ordered a pair of socks from sealskinz. You could be saving me £110!

( Louise, my pro shop said Sketchers give a 2 yr guarante)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many thanks for the help, I’ve ordered a pair of socks from sealskinz. You could be saving me £110!

( Louise, my pro shop said Sketchers give a 2 yr guarante)
Can you post how you find them? I bought mine a few years ago and they are a little thick, they feel like 2 socks sewn together. Tech may have moved on and if so I'll buy some more. It doesn't bother me in winter but in slightly warmer times a thinner version would be better.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I believe there are different versions of sealskinz for different conditions.
I gave up on waterproof shoes years ago. I don't believe they actually exist. Socks are the way to go.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While I have a few FJ's I tend to only rotate some of the older pairs for winter. Most are 3-8 years old depending on the pair and like the OP I tend to look after them well, letting them dry naturally away from a radiator or direct heat, polishing them each time and dubbin once a month. All do let the water in to a degree but providing the leather isn't split or coming away from the shoe, I simply put a pair of waterproof sock on and have no issues during the round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think three years is good nowadays! Last pair of FJ shoes I had lasted one year, then in the second winter they started leaking like sieves. I know some people swear by waterproof socks, but I resent the idea that it should be a necessity, there should be a shoe out there that remains waterproof for a decent amount of time. Plus if you have waterproof socks but damp leaking shoes they're still going to be a bit manky aren't they?

In fairness I don't do anything special to my shoes. I take them out of the bag when I get home so they don't remain damp, and I generally give them clean in the week, but I don't put anything on them.

I bought my Inesis shoes just over a year ago and they are still going strong, no signs of leaking or damage at all.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I believe there are different versions of sealskinz for different conditions.
I gave up on waterproof shoes years ago. I don't believe they actually exist. Socks are the way to go.

I've got some lovely Nike Lunar. Currently into second year of wear and fully waterproof. A trudge round my swamp pit last week and my feet were still dry. Can I find another pair? Can I knutz.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My shoes would have been throw in the bin before even reaching 3 years old.

I never found FJs to be any better than cheaper brands when it came to the length of life of the waterproof features.

I miss HiTech (they withdrew from the golf shoe market) good fit, comfort and lasted really well in terms of waterproofing with the HI Tech Dri Tec shoe.