waterproof jackets

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got soaked yesterday wearing a Glenmuir Rain Bloc jacket...can you advise a good cost effective waterproof golf jacket not a £250 Calvin green but £100 ish help....do they have to be Gortex to be waterproof?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't have to be gortex to be waterproof - plastic bin liner is waterproof....

However perspiration may soak you as much as the rain! Gortex is one of a number of breathable membranes; there are others.

I've a number of jackets, inc CG, but currently it's a pro Quip that works best for me. The material is waterproof on all, but the fit is what seems to dictate if I remain dry!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Goretex is the most well known, tried and tested, of the waterproof fabrics. You are pretty much guaranteeing the quality if the jacket you buy contains it.

There are others out there though and the Proquip brand consistently scores well with golfers for effectiveness and cost. I am still using a pair of Proquip waterproof trousers which are more than 10 years old and still work perfectly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have a GG jacket and sweat like a pig in it. I have a walking jacket and don't. How's that work?
Good luck with it.

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your reply ..which Pro Quip jacket have you got?and what do you mean by the fit seems to work for you?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought the proquip px5 £150 for jacket comes with a lifetime waterproof guarantee very comfortable and light and of course waterproof

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My currently used goretex jackets are Spraway, bought in outdoor clothing shops rather than golfing shops. What I like about them (apart from being totally waterproof) is they came with removable fleece liners which when removed give good 'swinging room' and they were half the price of the of a golfing specific jacket.

My golfing specific jackets are Proquip, probably the best out there for both price and reliability in the non goretex bracket, these are my really lightweight summer jackets. (Current summer trousers are also Proquip).

My Proquip are not current models, now several years old and still waterproof. (Tourflex from memory)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are some Adidas Goretex jackets on the Sports Direct website for just £50 and £55. Just search Adidas Goretex on their home page.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your reply ..which Pro Quip jacket have you got?and what do you mean by the fit seems to work for you?

I've looked for any labels but there aren't any! Sorry.

Regarding fit, waterproofs need to both be made of waterproof material (and seams) and for the neck, cuffs and waist to remain wellmsealed when playing if you want to remain dry.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a Palm Springs one. Got it full suit dirt cheap off e bay, under £30. Cracking thing! Had it three years now. No leaks EVER !