Waterproof golf gear

HPIMG

Visit site
I am looking to buy some waterproof stuff for golf. I played with a guy the other week and he was wearing the Calvin green set it looked good quality but I just looked online and it’s about £600 for the top and bottoms. Are they that good ? I generally don’t play much in the rain so probably looking for a set in the £200/£300 range. What would be the go to brands ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I am looking to buy some waterproof stuff for golf. I played with a guy the other week and he was wearing the Calvin green set it looked good quality but I just looked online and it’s about £600 for the top and bottoms. Are they that good ? I generally don’t play much in the rain so probably looking for a set in the £200/£300 range. What would be the go to brands ?

Best bet would be to get FJ hydroknit jacket and trousers , £200 for both provide waterproof and wind proof , also can be worn as a mid layer

https://www.function18.com/products/footjoy-golf-hydroknit-1-2-zip-87982-navy-denim

https://www.function18.com/products/footjoy-golf-hydroknit-trousers-88805-black

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sunderland do cracking waterproof gear at a decent price.

Footjoy hydroknit gets consistently top reviews on here. Never seen a bad post about them.

HPIMG

Visit site
Sunderland do cracking waterproof gear at a decent price.

Footjoy hydroknit gets consistently top reviews on here. Never seen a bad post about them.

I was looking at the Sunderland stuff and like one of the sets but was wondering how does it size ? I am usually always a xl is most other brands but Sunderland says I’m a L not sure if I should ignore this and get the xl ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
After much research I went for the Ping SensorDry Pro. In the price range there were a lot of options and I deliberated for quite some time.

Two things.
(i) I am a xl in Proquip, Sunderland etc. I needed a xxl in the Ping.
(ii) I have owned it for a month and found it to be very comfortable. Unfortunately while it has endured a shower I haven't had the chance to test it in torrential stuff. My mate has owned one for a couple of years and has remained dry in many a downpour.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was looking at the Sunderland stuff and like one of the sets but was wondering how does it size ? I am usually always a xl is most other brands but Sunderland says I’m a L not sure if I should ignore this and get the xl ?
I have one of the jackets, not trousers. I have a large, I'm normally a large. If I liked an athletic fit I'd probably go medium but I don't like things tight.

It fits well, probably a little loose but you need a bit of space for winter layers. If you are borderline large / XL then a large will be fine. If you like a loose XL then I'd be tempted to stay with XL still.

Always hard to gauge other people's sizes without seeing but I hope this helps.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of golf waterproof jackets are made slightly larger/baggy on purpose so you can still swing without it clinging to you or feeling tight. I have an Under Armour storm jacket which is superb but it's definitely baggy on me for a medium. (In contrast I have a Castore waterproof jacket which fits lovely, but I couldn't play golf in it because when the sleeves were wet they clung to my arms.)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Don’t bother with trousers. Paclite over trousers for £15 at mountain warehouse do a good enough job and you can replace when they stop working every couple of years. The thing with proper waterproof trousers is that you normally have to go out with them on as not really the greatest at getting on or off over other trousers. This is all fine in the winter but rubbish the rest of the year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

tobybarker

Visit site
I've gone for gore Tex top and bottom. Fed up with a succession of so called waterproof items which are only shower proof, and only for the first few months

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've gone for gore Tex top and bottom. Fed up with a succession of so called waterproof items which are only shower proof, and only for the first few months

Hopefully you'll be fine but there can still be issues with Goretex. I know plenty people who've been soaked in GG goretex (myself included in a pair of their trousers).

HPIMG

Visit site
My Sunderland of Scotland set came today trousers fit perfect but the top I’m glad I sized up I think the L would of definitely been too tight.

shane3003

Visit site
You can get some deals on Galvin Green if you’re happy getting last years designs / colours etc.
I only wore mine yesterday, first time in 12 months but keeps me dry and comfortable while playing.
I think I got mine in the sale around 4 years ago, but the GG stuff does last well.