Water in bunkers

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
True. However, in the CONGU advice about bunkers during this COVID period, it states:

"As an alternative (but not combined with preferred lies detailed above) if the condition of the bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes"

So contrary to F-16, CONGU presumed that some clubs may need to take ALL bunkers out of play due to their state. So, as Old Skier suggested, making all bunkers as GUR has been anticipated by CONGU during Covid. However, my take on it is that it would have to be a pretty severe situation to make them all GUR, if preferred lies cannot be applied. Also, I'm surprised that CONGU allow these scores to count as qualifying, given that it would significantly change the way players approach their round. Perhaps with WHS approaching, they were concerned clubs would make all bunkers GUR and then golfers from specific clubs would not record any scores before its launch?
Like you I am surprised - so the 50% rule for max bunkers removed has been removed? Temporarily I suspect.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure if anybody else said it

It is the ball that must remain in the bunker for relief without penalty. Nothing wrong with standing outside the bunker to play a ball that is in the bunker.
That is what I thought but swango1980 suggested I was wrong - and 16.1c simply tells me to try and take complete relief and if that’s not possible do next best...but as I said - I considered ball in bunker and player standing out of bunker as a point of complete relief - and it was that on which I was checking.

Swango1980

Visit site
That is what I thought but swango1980 suggested I was wrong - and 16.1c simply tells me to try and take complete relief and if that’s not possible do next best...but as I said - I considered ball in bunker and player standing out of bunker as a point of complete relief - and it was that on which I was checking.
Hi, your question said his potential nearest point of relief meant he had to stand in water. You told him he HAD to take full relief. My response was simply that this is untrue, I quoted the wording from the rule for clarification

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
sorry i think that you misunderstood - the scenario was where the only place he could stand with his stance and ball out of the water but ball in the bunker was by him standing outside of the bunker. i was checking that that was a valid NPR.

So he does have to take full relief unless he can’t. And in this scenario if the nearest point of full relief requires taking a stance outside of the bunker then so be it. Full relief does not require a stance to be taken in the bunker. But I fully understand point you are making as there may be circumstances under which it is not possible for a stance to be taken with ball and stance not in the water and with the ball in the bunker.

i guess the general question becomes that where the bunker is not 100% full but the only dry part is up against the edge of the bunker. I can drop the ball there but I have to take a stance outside the bunker. The shot could in practice be unplayable - but that’s just tough? Doesn‘t seem fair but I guess if the club knows this can arise then they declare such a bunker as GUR. But if they haven’t then tough. Just most likely have to take relief - Or at best try and play out sideways or away from green.

Last edited: