Bunker relief

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still not exactly sure what the answer to my question is…

But I think it is…that for a ball in one of our bunkers…if swing or stance impeded by bunker surround (the artificial turfs comprising the revetted surrounds being defined to be Integral Objects) then No Relief. If swing or stance impeded by steps built into the surround then free relief is provided as the steps are an immovable artificial obstruction not defined to be an Integral Object, but relief must be taken within the bunker.

I’ll add…to be confirmed by the club when I ask the question.
I think you are making life difficult for yourself.

If the ball is in the bunker, then you get free relief from the steps. But the relief point is in the bunker.

The problem only arises if the ball is lying on the steps (within the margin of the bunker). Because you then need to know if the ball is, or is not, within the bunker. That's what 'the committee' need to make clear.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Still not exactly sure what the answer to my question is…
If your ball is in the bunker you get free relief inside the bunker regardless of whether the steps are in or outside the bunker. If there is no relief area in the bunker that is not nearer the hole than the original ball position then you will need to take penalty relief outside the bunker - either stroke and distance or back-on-the-line relief.

salfordlad

Visit site
Thanks for that. It's a bit different from saying that the relief options are dependent on whether the steps are in the bunker or not but clear now. At club level I've found it essential that those in the business of setting up the course, making alterations etc liaise in advance with those with the rules knowledge. The need for that becomes all the more evident when it doesn't happen.
It was my reaction to earlier words of some posters, a broad observation based on my experience of some cases of bad set up of the kind you refer to in your latter sentences above.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Neilds said:
A. No, free drop is only allowed in the bunker. If you want/have to drop outside it is a one shot penalty.

B. Model Local Rule F-16 - but this needs to specify the bunkers affected and should not be used as a blanket rule for all bunkers
I may be misreading it but you wrote ''free drop is only allowed in the bunker. If you want/have to drop outside it is a one shot penalty.''
Crystal clear and concise.
But then went on to say when you can have free relief outside the bunker under a certain local rule.
Nothing sinister.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Neilds said:

I may be misreading it but you wrote ''free drop is only allowed in the bunker. If you want/have to drop outside it is a one shot penalty.''
Crystal clear and concise.
But then went on to say when you can have free relief outside the bunker under a certain local rule.
Nothing sinister.
The OP asked 2 questions:
Can you have free relief outside the bunker - No, answered in part a.
Is there a local rule that can be used for flooded bunkers - Yes, answered in part b.

A and B are not linked and are (imo) both clear and concise