Water in bunkers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would expect some form of update after 3 years.....even if no change.....is it a wonder so many clubs can’t keep to the recommendations?
What recommendations do you believe clubs can't keep to?

The CONGU rules require all sorts of things to be done or not done and the national unions have authority to apply variations. Most of these are more than 3 year old. Should the unions keep sending out reminders? Or should the clubs ensure they know the current rules?

eg UHS Compliance List: Confirm that Ireland have the authority to adjust handicaps after non-qualifying competitions.

Should the GUI remind their clubs every few years?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How would you suggest they do that? Shouldn't club administrators keep on top of such things? Surely if nothing has changed why tell everyone.

When was the last time you were officially reminded that you must traverse a roundabout in a clockwise direction?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How would you suggest they do that? Shouldn't club administrators keep on top of such things? Surely if nothing has changed why tell everyone.

When was the last time you were officially reminded that you must traverse a roundabout in a clockwise direction?

Is is printed in the most up to date ‘handicap code’?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is your handicap committee aware of it? If not, why not? No doubt they have filed the email in their file of other notifications that come through periodically from England Golf, so will be aware.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm handicap secretary at my club, and I was unaware of this. I try to keep completely up to date, but having only took the role last year, little information was passed down to me from the previous secretary (and I guess a lot of the time no information might be passed on if the previous handicap secretary left the club). So, I was certainly not aware of any e-mails that may have been sent over the last number of years directed to the then handicap secretary.

Like many new handicap secretaries, I guess we get most of our knowledge by reading through the CONGU manual and adhering to that. In most respects, it's very good and I've been able to find most things when I've wanted an answer to something. I wouldn't ever have known about the status of a competition being a non-qualifier if 50% of bunkers were not in play unless I either happened to stumble on this thread, or someone pointed out an e-mail we might have got a few years ago (any maybe never did?).

So, if I read the comments above correctly, I believe the thoughts are that it would be useful if this was actually put in writing in the CONGU manual (like they do for number of winter greens, or yardage changes), even if they have to caveat it my saying it is at the discretion of the local golf Union or England Golf? Thankfully, this will not directly impact me, as our club never really have more than 1 or 2 bunkers out of play due to flooding.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it were written into the CONGU manual it would have to except Scottish Golf which does not subscribe to this percentage. I don't know about Wales and Ireland.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it were written into the CONGU manual it would have to except Scottish Golf which does not subscribe to this percentage. I don't know about Wales and Ireland.
Neither Wales nor Ireland have set a figure. As CONGU couldn't agree, England declared UDI.

I suspect that EG set such a high figure so that it would never actually happen. Although when the adjacent river breaks over the flood bank we have 100% out.

Incidentally, the latest email come out in 2016. The original decision was made about 10 years ago by the then EGU.

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem.
The CONGU manual makes numerous references for differing directions and delegations applicable in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Where this is the case the country names text are highlighted, in bold and coloured - England (Black), Scotland (Purple), Wales (Red) and Ireland (Green).
So there appears a precedent for including circumstances where a golf union has it's own particular 'rule'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem here is that it seems none of the other unions actually has a policy to publish.

Incidentally, have you checked on the EG website for announcements they have made in recent months (or years)? Club and Comp secs are continually reminded to check.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem here is that it seems none of the other unions actually has a policy to publish.

Incidentally, have you checked on the EG website for announcements they have made in recent months (or years)? Club and Comp secs are continually reminded to check.

These things are great in Members clubs where they normally have regular paid staff that help with continuation of knowledge. Many proprietor owned clubs have to rely on volunteers where knowledge may/or may not be passed on. I suspect that there are many who volunteer at clubs have no idea of what resources are available on the EG website.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that is not something EG or CONGU can sort out. It must be down to the members who run the competitions and look after handicapping but more importantly, the ones who want to play in competitions and have handicaps. It's part of the deal with the unions.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But that is not something EG or CONGU can sort out. It must be down to the members who run the competitions and look after handicapping but more importantly, the ones who want to play in competitions and have handicaps. It's part of the deal with the unions.

Why do members have to run competitions? The ones that play just want them run properly....surely down to EG to make sure this happens?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree however I do think there is more that they and counties can do . Communication is key, we have had club delegates in place for over 5 years yet we have only had one get together in that time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do members have to run competitions? The ones that play just want them run properly....surely down to EG to make sure this happens?
How on earth is EG supposed to do that?
They provide the tools (via ISV software) and the instructions, the clubs (customers) must do the work.

However under the CONGU regulations the club has specific responsibilities, such as running qualifying competitions. If the members want them run properly they should make the committee do so. If they aren't happy, they can appeal to the county. But that of course assumes that members have troubled themselves by at least getting some idea of what CONGU is about. In the same way that they check out the Rules of Golf ;)

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree however I do think there is more that they and counties can do . Communication is key, we have had club delegates in place for over 5 years yet we have only had one get together in that time.
Did none of your delegates go to the WHS presentations? Did they present their findings to members?

Last edited: