Watching golf on the TV

Do you watch professional golf on TV?

• Total voters

bigyin55

Visit site
With the Open being on this weekend, and given that I'm very close to the venue, I've had alot of people asking if I've been watching it etc.

I genuinely find golf extremely boring to watch unless it's a Sunday and I have a bet on someone.

Was wondering how many of you guys and girls actually watch golf on TV? I know some people that play that have zero interest in watching and don't know anything about players on the PGA and DP.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I drift in and out of it. I often watch on a Friday to see who makes the cut. Very often I will only watch the back 9 on Sunday.

20 years ago I would be glued watching everything being shown for the Open.

Like now it is on in the back ground when I am on the computer, you know they will show anything significant many times so it is easy to catch it with the repeat showing.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The open and the masters are the only 2 I’ll watch every day, not every shot but it’ll be on whilst I’m working or pottering around. I’ll then watch more on the weekend and most of the Sunday.

The other 2 majors plus the players I’ll watch bits most days and then the last few hours on the final day.

Everything else, not really. It is hard to watch all day and so I’ll generally give the rest a miss unless I hear it’s getting exciting.

Ryder cup slightly different in that I’ll watch pretty much every shot.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will watch the last couple of hours of a major if there is something still to play for but that is about it. Days 1-3 not really interesting nor is it if the winner is pretty much decided by the end of the front 9 on Sunday.

HPIMG

Visit site
I must admit I find watching golf a bit boring, usually 30 mins max. I was at troon yesterday and it was so much better in person. I must of watched Dustin Johnston for around an hour on the range he was the best I seen yesterday. That was the first time I’ve seen pros hit balls and I was amazed at how they swing. With irons they look as if there swinging slow but obviously there not just so smooth and he looks as if he was getting lower to the ball on his backswing. Really enjoyed watching at the practice range yesterday.

sjw

Visit site
I will generally try and watch if Rory is playing. If I can't watch, I'll record it and whizz through and try and get an idea of how his round is going. If I'm at work, like I am now. I pop my headphones on and prop up my phone with Sky Go

So yeah, guess I watch quite a bit lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will generally try and watch if Rory is playing. If I can't watch, I'll record it and whizz through and try and get an idea of how his round is going. If I'm at work, like I am now. I pop my headphones on and prop up my phone with Sky Go

So yeah, guess I watch quite a bit lol
I went out for a while this afternoon with the intention of getting back in time for Rory................
How much coverage they are giving him says a lot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watch the four majors and the Ryder Cup - when I say watch I mean as much as I can while I'm at home but I will obviously miss hours of it I'm out playing golf myself, or just at work on the Thursday/Friday for example. I will always try and watch the leaders' rounds on the Sunday. Ryder Cup is the big one for me, I have booked the Friday off work for that in the past.

Aside from those I'll occasionally watch a bit of the Player's Champs, but I don't watch any of the weekly PGA Tour drive & chip to 25 under fests. DP World Tour is typically going to be on in the daytime so I'm not really going to make time for that. And I tried watching LIV once or twice but they push the team thing too much which I don't care about, and even the individual event I find it hard to think of it as something that actually matters.

Last edited:

JayB

Visit site
I'll watch the final stages of the larger events if nothing else planned but won't go out of my way to watch.

Generally I find golf as a spectator sport boring although the Solheim Cup and Ryder Cup are an exception.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love the Open, often watch the other majors and the Ryder cup, occasionally the Players/ Scottish Open.

If I'm on my own I might flip onto golf if there is nothing much else, but not usually

Mandofred

Visit site
Those people who are watching ANY of the golf...but not really.....are you paying for sports on tv, but not using it? Madness. Either you watch sports...and pay for it, or like me..bugger it, and don't pay for it.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Those people who are watching ANY of the golf...but not really.....are you paying for sports on tv, but not using it? Madness. Either you watch sports...and pay for it, or like me..bugger it, and don't pay for it.
I watch a fair bit of football, which is part of the sports package.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Because I don't really watch any other sports than golf, I can't justify paying full whack for Sky Sports, so how much golf I watch is dependent on any deals I can get.

Until last summer I often managed to get a deal with Now TV to cover some or all of the majors and the Ryder cup, but I am currently on a longer deal with Virgin, which runs out in November.

After that I won't bother again until the Masters, hoping I can get a deal then.

I liked it when Now TV did the week deal, which I used quite a bit.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have no pay TV but still watch hours of tour golf every week. Usually highlights because live broadcast times don't suit me too well
The Open has been great with how much live golf they are puting out for free, streets ahead of any other major or tour event