Washing machine recommendations

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Bosch aren't what they used to be. You can buy a Miele for less. They are tested for the equivalent of 20 years of use.

And yet Miele only guarantees for 2 years. ?. I’m not sure where you get one cheaper than a Bosch either, at least not with equivalent features.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The entry level Mieles are now made with plastic outer drums, the more expensive ones are still made the same as they were. Siemens are a good label, part of the Bosch group and the machines are similar but tend to come with a 5 yr warranty with the manufacturer. One thing to remember, the greater the capacity the deeper the machine but I feel 8kg is ample. Also the larger the load capacity the larger the dryer load needs to be (if you have one)
My choice for a good machine.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
And yet Miele only guarantees for 2 years. ?. I’m not sure where you get one cheaper than a Bosch either, at least not with equivalent features.

Do you need all the features? I use a 60, 40 and 90 wash when I run bleach through it and that's it. Never have a washing machine on when I'm not in or asleep due to fire risk. My view is the more it does the more there is to go wrong.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hang on, I'll go and ask Mrs Slime.
She says Samsung Ecobubble, or something like that.
She thinks they're awesome and her mother does, too.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need all the features? I use a 60, 40 and 90 wash when I run bleach through it and that's it. Never have a washing machine on when I'm not in or asleep due to fire risk. My view is the more it does the more there is to go wrong.
Why run bleach through it (and I hope you don’t mean toilet bleach)?
A regular 90/95 wash will sterilise the whole machine and stop the algae growing that is commonplace now due to low temperature washing that most stick to. Don’t forget we should wash towels (and bedding) at least at 60, and being cotton towels can take 90/95 without issue..
Toilet bleach isn’t good on the rubber and seals of a washing machine

My lack of enthusiasm for Samsung and their regional relatives is the service and spares backup not being as good.

RichA

Visit site
I used to do some laundry.. everything went in a non-fast-colours programme, no issues... apparently, that wasn't acceptable to "the management," so I was fired! :)
Similarly, I was fired for thinking that the automatic setting on a washing machine does away with the need to dick around with the 100 manual settings. Apparently there's more to it than that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our washing machine is an LG, and I think it's pretty rubbish to be honest. I don't have much frame of reference though.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similarly, I was fired for thinking that the automatic setting on a washing machine does away with the need to dick around with the 100 manual settings. Apparently there's more to it than that.
Don’t forget the different detergents you need as well;)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We got a Bosch with iDos and I love it. Like filling up a car, it uses what it needs.
But nearly 3 years in and we still haven’t connected it to the WiFi yet. Not even during lockdown with nothing to do.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why run bleach through it (and I hope you don’t mean toilet bleach)?
A regular 90/95 wash will sterilise the whole machine and stop the algae growing that is commonplace now due to low temperature washing that most stick to. Don’t forget we should wash towels (and bedding) at least at 60, and being cotton towels can take 90/95 without issue..
Toilet bleach isn’t good on the rubber and seals of a washing machine

My lack of enthusiasm for Samsung and their regional relatives is the service and spares backup not being as good.

Am sure my washing machine manual tells me to do this every three months. Will double check but it's nearly 10 years old and still going strong.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had Bosch for years (10+), had it repaired a few times. When it finally gave up the ghost we bought a new Bosch, this wasn't the same build quality, packed up after about 3 years. We got our repair man in, he couldn't fix it, all sealed units that would have taken more time to repair than it was worth. We then bought a Samsung with a 5 year warranty, it's 4 years in now and hasn't missed a beat. Very pleased with it..... so far.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The entry level Mieles are now made with plastic outer drums, the more expensive ones are still made the same as they were. Siemens are a good label, part of the Bosch group and the machines are similar but tend to come with a 5 yr warranty with the manufacturer. One thing to remember, the greater the capacity the deeper the machine but I feel 8kg is ample. Also the larger the load capacity the larger the dryer load needs to be (if you have one)
My choice for a good machine.

Bunkermagnet, thanks for that, I’d missed the link to the recommendation first time round. Could I ask, if Siemens and Bosch are the same company in effect, is there a particular reason, other than the warranty, for recommending that Siemens? I’m going to have to discuss this with management so any pointers gratefully accepted. ?