Washing machine recommendations

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The current machine (a Bosch) is starting to make grumbling noises so we are looking at replacing it; not keen on getting it looked at, given its age. Any recommendations for a middle of the road machine, or any to avoid please? I don’t need one with Wi Fi or anything like that, but we wouldn’t want basic either.

Thanks in anticipation ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Avoid the LG Direct Drive machines for the "quieter" selling point as it's a load of bollocks.

The machine itself is fine and does a good job of cleaning but it's no quieter than the old belt drive Hotpoint it replaced.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Avoid the LG Direct Drive machines for the "quieter" selling point as it's a load of bollocks.

The machine itself is fine and does a good job of cleaning but it's no quieter than the old belt drive Hotpoint it replaced.
I'm pleased you said that. We recently replaced our machine and I got talked into getting a Beko machine instead of a 'quiet' LG one. It's been annoying me ever since but I'll stop being annoyed now :D

As mentioned by Beezerk, Bunkermagnet is the man to ask. He sees them day in day out. Based on my own recent research, Bosch are still well regarded, top of the middle rankers or bottom of the top rankers depending on the model. We have a Beko which does the job but I can't comment on how it will go long term. Make sure your machine has shorter wash options or the ability to set off on a timer. A full wash takes forever now, 3 1/2 hours on ours, but that doesn't matter if you can use other settings or set it to finish when you get up.

RichA

Visit site
Bought our Miele from John Lewis about 15 years ago with a 10 year warranty. It runs every day and has never missed a beat. It's built like a tank.
Pretty sure having a water softener helps.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Samsung all day long , put ours in back in 2006 still going strong (that's the kiss of death then :))
Would not hesitate to get another based on how the current one has performed .

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The standard white goods advice used to be Miele if you could afford it, Bosch/Siemens/Neff (same thing) next, everything else after those. But my last one was a Samsung and it has performed well and washed reliably for a family with two growing boys for several years now without missing a beat.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Mrs BiM is a fan of the current Bosch's SpeedPerfect feature, which reduces most cycle times by up to 65%; can any of the Samsung users tell me what the Samsung Super Speed feature does please, is it similar to the Bosch feature or something different? Thanks.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
We, like you(!) replaced our aging Bosch. Decided to stick with Bosch and got this machine from John Lewis. They were offering free installation and free removable of the previous machine at the time too.
Overall, super happy and I definitely recommend it.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
We, like you(!) replaced our aging Bosch. Decided to stick with Bosch and got this machine from John Lewis. They were offering free installation and free removable of the previous machine at the time too.
Overall, super happy and I definitely recommend it.

Considering this machine as it is cheaper of only two that John Lewis are currently offering a free 5 year warranty on. A bit pricy but take off the cash back & considering the free installation & removal of the old machine then it doesn't seem so bad. Off out on Saturday to look at Bosch & Samsung machines.

Apparently the dishwasher is nearly 10 years old, this may not be a cheap weekend... :eek:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Considering this machine as it is cheaper of only two that John Lewis are currently offering a free 5 year warranty on. A bit pricy but take off the cash back & considering the free installation & removal of the old machine then it doesn't seem so bad. Off out on Saturday to look at Bosch & Samsung machines.

Apparently the dishwasher is nearly 10 years old, this may not be a cheap weekend... :eek:

Bosch aren't what they used to be. You can buy a Miele for less. They are tested for the equivalent of 20 years of use.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

Honestly? I'd just do it. We umm'd and ah'd about ours for a week or so. Then bit the bullet and have been chuffed.

I find white goods a little like mobile phones and tvs. People stick to their brand and deviate little. But are by and large happy with their choice because they buy what they know.

Do it. Do the dishwasher while your at it. And then tell Mrs BiM she owes you an airbnb weekend in return!