Warning about maintenance work?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So I got a notice from the Pitlochry Golf pro (at my request) telling me that 2 weeks before I'm to play there that they are coring the greens...do you think that THAT'S enough time to get the ball rolling smoothly....

...and any opinions on the course?

Thanks....

I would think two weeks will be fine. And the course is lovely. But be prepared for a climb on the 1st few holes. It's hard work.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good man and good result. Played Sherwood on a freebie, and smashed me drive down the fairway on the first. Sat nav said 150 to the pin so smashed it onto green, only my ball went 40 yd past the temp pin. Every green except the 18th was a temp and it was blazing sunshine. Sat nav was a waste of time. It ruined the round. The pro in the shop said there's a couple of temps.

Describing 17 out of 18 as "a couple of temps" is certainly out of order and worth a complaint.

But, Tashy, if you're only 110 yards from the pin, surely you can see that it's a temp? Smashing it 40 yards past in them circumstances is just crap golf and sod all to do with sat nav. :)

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clubs should be more pro active with this type of situation IMO. Mo matter where the customer books, green fee sites, own website or direct on the phone. Until I was member of a club I had no idea of any kind of maintenance schedule so wouldn't have the foggiest about clubs hollow tining etc at certain times throughout the year. I'd hope that any decent club would pre warm any visitor of an possible issue before the day, I'd guess that most clubs can't afford the bad PR(local whispers) is could bring, an inexperienced golfer might play a course that recently been worked on, not know what or why it's been done then forever go around saying 'their greens are poor'!

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Thanks to all for your comments on Pitlochry and maintenance in the mountains....at my request they have kindly cancel[/FONT][FONT=&quot]led my tee time. Now scheduled for Boat of Garten.[/FONT]

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If my club is anything to go by, we wouldn't put anything on the club website either about any maintenance. Members get emailed and notices in the locker room when any work does happen.

i would ring the club before to check

Perhaps you should get your club to change and treat non-members with the same respect as visitors probably help keep your fees lower.

I for one would be serious peeved if I turned up to play on temps

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly I see this happening quite a lot, courses failing to mention the true condition of their courses for fear of losing the green fee. It's all fine and well offering you a free round another time but in essence it has spoiled the day out that you had planned in the first place. Very poor show by some places in this respect IMO.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Perhaps you should get your club to change and treat non-members with the same respect as visitors probably help keep your fees lower.

I for one would be serious peeved if I turned up to play on temps

if you turned up and we were on temps, it would be December and you would only be paying £20 to play and would be informed by the club when you booked.

As we hare further north Than Moscow, i suspect you would be better coming in the middle of summer rather than winter, if you expected the course to be playable

Last edited: