Walking Away From My Club - Advice?

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Potentially a bit of a controversial question here but I can't ask anyone at my club, so I need to post here!

(Sorry in advance for the wall of text!)

I'm not happy at my club at all.

I like the course and it is challenging (to me at least!), but the management of it is not very good and investment in the course itself is non-existent for the most part (the club car park has been resurfaced recently to be fair - I have no doubt that cost quite a bit - but I suspect this was done in order to make it look a bit more presentable for those who happen to be guests at the attached hotel).

I read on here quite a bit about people saying they had a chat with their club pro about something they were concerned with in their game, or were lent a particular demo club by the pro to test out for a round, etc... and I just cannot imagine my pro ever doing something like that for members. Whenever I'm in the club house to book a tee time or talk about some aspect of my game and a desire to book lessons, it just seems like him taking the time to talk to me is a massive chore and he would rather be doing something else (this is the same with other members from what I have observed too). A lot of the time you try and have a chat with him after getting back from a round or buying something and he doesn't even look you in the eye, just carries on with what he's doing giving 1 word answers and making it clear that he has absolutely no idea what you're actually saying because he's not even listening.

I did have quite a few lessons with him when I first joined, but I just get the impression that unless he knows you are guaranteed to spend something he has absolutely no interest in talking to you whatsoever.

The club house is servicable, but the food is hugely expensive and not value for money (think £9 for a small burger and a hand full of chips, £4 for a bacon roll, etc...).

Compared to some other clubs I have seen the systems appear to be antiquated. No online handicap tracking or tee booking and the website doesn't even tell you what the status of the course is. It's very difficult to speak to any of the secretaries. Hard to arrange a game with strangers (I put up a very brief note on our notice board with my mobile number saying that I was looking to get to know a few more people in the club, and would be happy to make time to play a game with people when convenient, and found it a few days later in the bin in the men's locker room scrumpled up...).

From reading other peoples' experiences on this forum I just feel like if I were to go elsewhere there is a good chance I would get much better value for money, better facilities and a much friendlier atmosphere who are more open to welcoming new members rather than shunning them.

Close to where I live is a course called the Worcestershire. I have heard very good things about it and a quick walk around the club house the other day revealed they were miles ahead of my current club. A random person who didn't recognise me even gave me his business card and said that while he wasn't sure of the current way members joined, if I needed any help joining I should give him a call and he would do all he could. This club is only slightly more expensive that my current one (if you discount the joining fee), but being in the 25-27 year old category, if I am reading their current subscriptions correctly I am pretty sure that I would be eligible for a decently reduced annual fee and waived joining fee!

So now on to my question.

My membership does not run out until September I think, but I want to walk away and join another club. This being the first golf club I have joined, I am completely unaware of how seriously golf clubs may or may not take things like this and being sued could get me stuck off so it is something I need to consider carefully. What is the practical approach most golf clubs take to their members walking away? Our club allows us to pay by standing order, which I do, so if I were to cancel it and just not turn up again I would still technically be obliged to pay until 1 August this year.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I can only advise that you speak to the treasurer to confirm the position. But I find it odd that your membership runs to September, normally I thought clubs work from spring (following the golf season).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Normally, if you pay in installments, you are legally obliged to pay all of the years fees, as you have entered into a contract with them. You may be able to negotiate. Try asking, and explaining why you feel your current place isn't for you.

It is not uncommon for unauthorised notices to be taken down. Notice boards are for the club to use, not individual members.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With regards to "walking away", it sounds like it's the same as other memberships where you sign up for a set period of time. Just because they let you pay over the 12 months, even if you stop using it, they still want paying.

Unless it's a nice course, I wouldn't be surprised if they chased you for any unpaid monies. I doubt that it would ever lead to suing you, more likely the small claims court eventually, but you never know.

You said you like the course, could you not just keep playing it until Aug, and then move?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your current club doesn't sound very welcoming at all. At our club fees are due for the full year even if you leave part way through. Also, from chatting to someone else the other day who left their old club to join ours they had to officially resign from the old club. Is there anything in your membership documents which state what you need to do.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi, I feel sorry for the position you are in, it doesn't sound like fun one little bit and understand why you feel like you do. Unfortunately though once you have agreed to join for the year you do have to pay the full amount if you decide to leave early. The contract you have signed will state this. The golf courses position is that you have agreed to play for the year and they have agreed to provide a course and facilities for you to do so for the year. If they were to withdraw this facility then you would have course to sue them for it. They have the same course of action. If you really want to leave you may resign but you would still be liable to make your payments until September.
If you did leave without paying your full subscription they probably would pursue the matter through the small claims courts and they would come down on the side of the club.
You have two choices. Leave now and carry on paying either in a lump sum or keep paying the installments or stay whilst September and then resign and join somewhere else.
I know it is harsh but golf is a business.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only advise that you speak to the treasurer to confirm the position. But I find it odd that your membership runs to September, normally I thought clubs work from spring (following the golf season).

Although the start of April was I suppose the traditional start of subs period date, there seems to be a degree of variation, certainly around Renfrewshire/ Dunbartonshire, my club for example is 1 Mar.

I know of a couple of clubs who operate a 12 month period from whatever date you join; it makes better business sense than a part-year pro rata I suppose.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With regards to "walking away", it sounds like it's the same as other memberships where you sign up for a set period of time. Just because they let you pay over the 12 months, even if you stop using it, they still want paying.

Unless it's a nice course, I wouldn't be surprised if they chased you for any unpaid monies. I doubt that it would ever lead to suing you, more likely the small claims court eventually, but you never know.

You said you like the course, could you not just keep playing it until Aug, and then move?

Problem is that monthly installments arrangements are usually made between the club and a finance company - you don't pay the club your monthly payment - you pay the finance company. The finance company pays the club your annual subs up front and gets that back from the member over the course of a year. If you just stopped and cancelled a SO or DD the finance company would be after you - nothing to do with the club unfortunately. The club might agree to pay the finance company the balance due on membership when you cancelled your monthly payment - but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. I was under the impression that my membership ran until the end of May despite having joined in August since it was done on a pro-rata basis for joining mid-season. When I phoned up the other day to check when my membership came up for renewal they told me that it was 1 September despite this. I have yet to dig out my contract and actually look at the terms. In any event I would argue whatever I signed was verbally varied - proving that would be the difficult part.

I did not pay a joining fee, no. I think the club has historically struggled with membership numbers despite being quite a nice, scenic course (lots of water scare people aware, perhaps? :p). The hotel it is attached to has gone under several times and changed hands a lot.

Normally, if you pay in installments, you are legally obliged to pay all of the years fees, as you have entered into a contract with them.

I'm aware of this and it's the main reason I started this thread. Being sued for fees would cause me no end of professional issues.

I thought about speaking with one of the secretaries about it but as I said above they're virtually impossible to get a hold of and are so cliquey I just don't think it would have any effect. Not the mention the fact that drawing something like this to their attention could make life even worse with a bad atmosphere compounding everything else if they weren't willing to let me just walk away.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sorry to OP for taking the thread off topic, but all the clubs around me seem to be sometime in spring.

back to the OP, as Chellie suggests good etiquette is to resign your membership. You certainly shouldn't just stop paying and give up. But, unless you didn't sign anything to agree it, you will probably have to pay for the full year.
Speak to someone in authority, and try to get written proof of your position.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. I was under the impression that my membership ran until the end of May despite having joined in August since it was done on a pro-rata basis for joining mid-season. When I phoned up the other day to check when my membership came up for renewal they told me that it was 1 September despite this. I have yet to dig out my contract and actually look at the terms. In any event I would argue whatever I signed was verbally varied - proving that would be the difficult part.

I did not pay a joining fee, no. I think the club has historically struggled with membership numbers despite being quite a nice, scenic course (lots of water scare people aware, perhaps? :p). The hotel it is attached to has gone under several times and changed hands a lot.

I'm aware of this and it's the main reason I started this thread. Being sued for fees would cause me no end of professional issues.

I thought about speaking with one of the secretaries about it but as I said above they're virtually impossible to get a hold of and are so cliquey I just don't think it would have any effect. Not the mention the fact that drawing something like this to their attention could make life even worse with a bad atmosphere compounding everything else if they weren't willing to let me just walk away.

Which hotel group is it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Do you pay monthly to the club or a finance company?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does everyone take October as a month off?

Not October (yes I spotted it) but this year we all might have well have taken January off. :(

Not to put a downer on it - would you expect them to waive your remaining monthly subs payments if you did your back in or broke a leg half way through the year? No I suspect - they just wouldn't be able to help you. So I suspect that they can't and won't create a precedent 'just' because you don't get on with the members or pro. Sorry.

Last edited:

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
more likely the small claims court eventually

The value of any claim they may wish to bring would be well within the small claims track, you are right, however there is no difference between small, fast and multi track claims from a 'being sued' perspective, other than the size of your legal fees and the level of representation/case management needed. I'll amend the OP but just so everyone knows I'm more than aware of my technical obligations under contract law, etc...

I'm just interested, from the experience of people on here, what the practical outcome is for most golf clubs for a member simply walking away. I.e. Are they likely to sue me?

Standing order is paid to the club directly, not a finance company so that isn't an issue fortunately. It would just be what action the club decides to take against me, if any. There are no membership documents for the club itself, it is simply a contractual relationship.

If there is a finance company involved, it would actually make the situation much easier because the situation would be so non-compliant with the CCA that getting out of payment would be a walk in the park.

Last edited:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has posted notices on both the boards in the clubhouse and locker room informing members that they have recently taken past members to the small claims courts because they left and did not pay the balance of their subscription. It states in both cases they won. It isn't a threat as such more of a way of informing anyone who is thinking of doing the same they will pursue the individual for the balance if they did the same. That way everyone knows where they stand.