Walker Cup

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a browse on the web and found a site called 'walkercuphistory.com'.

Unfortunately though I can't seem to get it to work, although not entirely surprising as work Internet access is very restricted.

See if you can get into it.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been having a search as well Blazefield...not much luck am afraid so far in getting the actual results - might be worth ringing the R&A or something?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that Walker Cup history site that Duck Hook Master found requires a $20 subscription. I tried to get into it once before.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Phew...that's a tough one! I've had a shufti through loads of sites to see what I could come up with. I discovered that the Walker Cup was formerly formally known as "The United States Golf Association International Challenge Trophy." Fascinating huh?

Anyway here's a pic of a program from the 1947 event showing you the teams and the make up of the foursome pairings on the first day:

0323_1_lg.jpg

This is the best summary of results I could work out from various sources although sadly it's not complete by any means and I don't know any actual scores:

Foursomes
Ted Bishop and Skee Riegel (USA) defeated Joe Carr and Cecil Ewing (GB&I)
Percy Lucas and Leonard Crawley (GB&I) defeated Bud Ward and Smiley Quick (USA)
Ronald White and Charles Stowe (GB&I) defeated Frank Stranahan and Dick Chapman (USA)
Willie Turnesa and Fred Kammer (USA) defeated Kyle and Wilson (GB&I)

Singles
Joe Carr (GB&I) defeated Ted Bishop (USA)
Willie Turnesa (USA) defeated Cecil Ewing (GB&I)
Dick Chapman (USA) defeated Percy Lucas (GB&I)
Skee Riegel (USA) defeated Gerald Micklem (GB&I)
Ronald White (GB&I) defeated Fred Kammer (USA)
Frank Stranahan (USA) defeated ?

These 2 links tell you about the teams for the 1949 matches but both also give details about how players got on in the 1947 competition if they were in it:

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1940s/1949/490811.pdf (GB&I)

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1940s/1949/490705.pdf (USA)

Here's a pic of Ouimet accepting the trophy from Roger Wethered:

43886b.jpg

Hope this helps!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's happened to my photos?! I posted that previous post last night complete with a couple of photographs and they seemed fine. Now I look at it again (on a different computer) and they're not there! I assume no one else can see them either?? What's going on? Why would they work yesterday and not today?

Here's a test. This should be a pic of Tiger:

s111821A.jpg

It looks ok on the preview screen anyway!

Edit: Looks good after submission too.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hmmm...back on my home computer now and I can see the pics perfectly again. It must be because they're taken from an auction site and those tend to be blocked in work, which is where I was looking from earlier. I'm assuming that's why I couldn't see them, at least. You live and learn...