• Yes

Votes: 73 89.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mean and I do rather generalise here, all parties are just as bad as the other, their leaders are two faced charlatans who 99% of the time just pay lip service to the population to curry favour in order to gain our vote.

So will you vote, or are you going to abstain as you feel the options open to us are just not worth it?

D

Deleted member 18121

I've already voted by post......if you don't vote, you cant moan.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've posted the question, out of curiosity as a colleague at work is going to abstain, as he thinks none of the parties are worth voting for, his choice as is his democratic right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you don't vote, in what ever form, you basically do not want democracy.

I don't agree... not wanting democracy but wanting someone worth voting for aren't quite the same.

Whoever offers 2p off a pint of beer will get elected, the country is ruled by the mob minded, the ones who can't get out of the middle lane of the motorway, can't manage to get their black bags INTO their bins, or have 4 kids under 16.... 3 of which are pregnant.

Doesn't matter who I'd vote for as it probably will make NO significant difference to my life OR my childrens (who will have to put up with the crap we already have now no matter what).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't agree... not wanting democracy but wanting someone worth voting for aren't quite the same.

Whoever offers 2p off a pint of beer will get elected, the country is ruled by the mob minded, the ones who can't get out of the middle lane of the motorway, can't manage to get their black bags INTO their bins, or have 4 kids under 16.... 3 of which are pregnant.

Doesn't matter who I'd vote for as it probably will make NO significant difference to my life OR my childrens (who will have to put up with the crap we already have now no matter what).

They could well be helping to pay off our National overdraft for us.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tell him to vote and spoil his paper. It still registers as a sign of dissension, the number of spoiled papers are read at the count and it entitles him to moan for the next 5 years. Don't vote at all then he has to keep quiet no matter what is introduced.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have never voted before on the principal that they are all politicians & therefore all corrupt & will not do anything they promise.

However, this will be my 1st vote. I have no illusions that my little tick (or cross or whatever) will change the world, but there is one party I prefer the sound of. Still don't believe they will stick to their word, but we can but try.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should always vote. These people will decide much of your life, so you should exercise your choice/prejudices to select either those you approve of or minimise the harm by selecting the least worst of a bad lot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Abstention is a perfectly valid part of a democratic process.

Sorry - IMO no it's not. The democratic process requires participation if it is to be valid. If you are not happy with the choices presented then you create the choice you want. Meanwhile you choose what fits best - no-one should expect a 100% fit - though these days folks do seem to think that they are entitled to get precisely what they want.

And in this election voting is especially important given that it looks to be being a close run thing with lots of claims about legitimacy or lack of legitimacy flying about. And one of the claims for legitimacy will be based upon turnout and the size and % of vote for each party. So even although your vote may not change the result in your constituency your vote will count.

So please for one day put your (perhaps understandable) cynicism away; look at the bigger picture, and cast a vote.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

nope not voting, cant be bothered. Probably hit the course for 9 holes if the weather is good

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only difference my vote will make is that the Conservative candidate will have 1 less on his majority...

On another point, if abstention isn't democratic why does it happen all the time in Parliament.?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The only difference my vote will make is that the Conservative candidate will have 1 less on his majority...

On another point, if abstention isn't democratic why does it happen all the time in Parliament.?

Agree.
a) I'm in a constituency with a 20,000 Tory majority.......but I will still vote.
b) I have spoiled my ballot in the past. I don't agree you should vote for "the best fit", any time you vote you will be doing that anyway as no party fully represents an individual viewpoint. If there isn't a candidate with sufficient alignment with my views then I believe I'm fully justified in voting for none of them. I would still turn up to do so though. People have died for my right to do that so it's important to me.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mean and I do rather generalise here, all parties are just as bad as the other, their leaders are two faced charlatans who 99% of the time just pay lip service to the population to curry favour in order to gain our vote.

So will you vote, or are you going to abstain as you feel the options open to us are just not worth it?

I will vote. I'm old school: no vote, no say.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sorry - IMO no it's not. The democratic process requires participation if it is to be valid. If you are not happy with the choices presented then you create the choice you want. Meanwhile you choose what fits best - no-one should expect a 100% fit - though these days folks do seem to think that they are entitled to get precisely what they want.

And in this election voting is especially important given that it looks to be being a close run thing with lots of claims about legitimacy or lack of legitimacy flying about. And one of the claims for legitimacy will be based upon turnout and the size and % of vote for each party. So even although your vote may not change the result in your constituency your vote will count.

So please for one day put your (perhaps understandable) cynicism away; look at the bigger picture, and cast a vote.

What he said really. Saying your vote does not count is statistically wrong if nothing else. Listen to the returning officer.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Tell him to vote and spoil his paper. It still registers as a sign of dissension, the number of spoiled papers are read at the count and it entitles him to moan for the next 5 years. Don't vote at all then he has to keep quiet no matter what is introduced.

No vote, no right to complain. As above, it is entirely reasonable to spoil the ballot by leaving boxes blank and writing that you won't be voting for any of the above. Then you can complain as it is still counted with the other votes as a rejection of the candidates at that time. I will definitely be in the polling station tomorrow, and on the first Thursday in May every 5 years (provided there's not another election in the meantime!).