Victor Dubuisson

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Real deal?

I watched a fair bit of the golf today and I watched pretty much all of the Turkish event he won and the event after where he featured again and I have to say the lad looks the real deal.

Hits the ball a country mile,great short game to boot and seems level headed as well.

But..............is he simply in a rich vein of form and will wilt away when he levels out or is he a real contender to make the Ryder Cup team and feature heavily this year and in the future?

I am going to say he looks like he won't simply be a flash in the pan and has the game to compete.

Thoughts folks??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You're probably right Dodge, he certainly looks to have it all.
But there's plenty of that talk been thrown at many a player down the years and many have sunk..

But I think you're probably right.......only time will tell.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think he looks very decent player indeed , that impresses me

Ryder Cup......??

I dunno.......??

Wasnt too long ago I thought that Thorbjorn Olesen was looking a good thing for the side too

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think he looks very decent player indeed , that impresses me

Ryder Cup......??

I dunno.......??

Wasnt too long ago I thought that Thorbjorn Olesen was looking a good thing for the side too

On commentary they pointed out that should he win the tournament - he is pretty much certain to qualify for the Ryder cup team. Certainly looks the real thing. Good point about young Thorbjorn..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Saw him in the flesh a year or so back and wasnt convinced at all, looks to have progressed huge amounts and expect the best is still to come for sure

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen Olesen at the Irish Open in Portrush, and he was impressive able to shape shots, hitting all kinds as well, coped with the conditions really well, in what could be similar to Ryder cup conditions, sunny, heavy rain, and very windy

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Might be a moot point as he looks like he is going to qualify for The Ryder Cup by right

Got him as my star player in the fantasy league this week, hope it isnt the kiss of Death

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to say its an interesting notion that a player can qualify nine months before the event. What happens when forms nosedives and he can't (not Dubuisson per se but any player in the same position) make cuts or keep drives in the same time zone. I don't like this long qualification window which has to be designed solely to ensure the likes of Rose, Poulter etc play enough times to qualify. I can see some of our players being out of touch, pre-qualifying so early

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got to say its an interesting notion that a player can qualify nine months before the event. What happens when forms nosedives and he can't (not Dubuisson per se but any player in the same position) make cuts or keep drives in the same time zone. I don't like this long qualification window which has to be designed solely to ensure the likes of Rose, Poulter etc play enough times to qualify. I can see some of our players being out of touch, pre-qualifying so early

Its a reward for playing the best over the period since the previous ryder cup, which means anyone who performs at the top level at some stage should appear in the ryder cup. If you shorten the qualification period then you make it possible for people to miss out purely because of which year they played well in.

Having several captains pick gives enough leeway to select within the side against current form whilst still allowing the right people to qualify based on their 2 yr performance, think the system is fine personally

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I see what you're saying there Homer with the length of the qualification window, but I don't know what other way would work for it.

Do some tournaments hold more stead than others in the qualification process, that could work. There are some players like Poulter who just have a natural instinct and ability for the Ryder Cup, he'll always get in on a captain's pick you would think.

Should there be more Captain's picks?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Poulter was second in the Race to Dubai - are the qualifying events for that not enough to get him an automatic place?

I've been very impressed with Dubuisson, he was one of my first picks for my fantasy team

Poulter should be have a lifetime qualification for the Ryder Cup, something about him and that event, gets into the opposition like Seve used to.