Varifocal glasses and golf

Mike79

Visit site
So old age has caught up with me and I’m now the proud owner of a pair of varifocals…

Leaving the shop I felt like I had spent the afternoon on the sauce.

Just been to the driving range and Jesus that was bad! Had to take them off as the motion was driving me mad.

Is this something I’ll get used to, or do others wear different lenses for playing golf, or bin the glasses when playing?

Thanks
Mr Magoo

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It can take a day or 2 to get used to them
If it's still the same by the end of the weekend they may not have been fitted correctly.
My first pair were like that...fitted by a spotty youth.
Went back 3 days later and they changed the fitting - perfect.
Don't have any problems wearing them for golf either.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I've had them for about 18 months. Im fine with them although I had to send a pair back because the transition between long distance and close up was way too quick and the slightest movement would send my vision out of focus.

I was getting quite a lot of 'bulge' at the peripheral ends of my vision which made it look like the ground was rising up behind the ball. I played my first round with them at Woodhall Spa and was convinced all the tees were on a slope!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Not varifocals but I have my first pair of distance lenses. I got them last week and have been driving in them. Today was the first time I tried them for golf, had to take them off. Yes I can see leaves and the ball clearer at distance, but looking down at the ball before hitting was very odd, peripheral vision is very odd too… need to chat with the optician…..

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are different qualities of variofocal lenses. The more expensive ones have less distortion between the close/distance part of the lens. Persevere with what you have, but if are still struggling you might have to upgrade your lenses.

Mike79

Visit site
There are different qualities of variofocal lenses. The more expensive ones have less distortion between the close/distance part of the lens. Persevere with what you have, but if are still struggling you might have to upgrade your lenses.

Went with the SuperDigital lenses (actually thought I went with TailorMade but the paperwork today showed superdigital.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Specsavers

Clive W has hit the nail on the head, getting the glasses from spec savers has confirmed what I feared.

Paragraph spacing, ? Phil.

I have worn varifocals for a couple of decades and the specsavers ones are the worst I have had by a country mile. The distortion bit that Clive W mentions is the bit that is important. I ended up going back to spec savers for a refund. I went back to vision express And cannot see me moving elsewhere now.

RichA

Visit site
For what it's worth, I bought a pair of very expensive, top of the range Zeiss lens varifocal glasses from our local independent and highly rated optician.
After 2 weeks of feeling sick and stumbling over kerbs, I exercised the right to return them and get single distance lenses and loads of money back.
Mrs A has had Specsavers and Vision Express varifocals and loved them both.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know @Smiffy wears them, he might be able to help.

Have been wearing vari's for a number of years now, and the positioning of the "transition line" between reading and distance is the all important thing when playing golf.
My last four pairs of glasses has been from Asda Opticians of all places, as I got totally fed up with paying SpecSavers and Vision Express's prices.
On one pair at my previous fitting, I went for a design with particularly deep lenses and asked for the transition line to be lower than usual, these were to be my golf glasses.
They have performed superbly over the last few years, my go to glasses for golf.
I have recently been for a new prescription, not a lot of change, but decided on two new pairs. These were just two "normal" pairs for everyday use, one pair being polarised sunglasses.
I obviously kept my old "golf pair" safe and sound. But having just come back from a trip to Spain, I have mislaid them. Can't find them anywhere.
I cannot play in the new ones, when you look at the ball with them on, everything is distorted, and putting with them on is a joke.
I have got to get back to Asda and buy a new pair, specific for golfing.
So the answer is, a deeper lens with the transition line moved down.
And try Asda. Two pairs of varifocals for £160.00 rather than one pair for over £300.00 at one of the bigger places.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Asda opticians for me too. I have a pretty strong prescription and have paid over £400 for glasses in the past.
Asda charge the same whatever your prescription.

Having said that, I wear contacts for golf, much better.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I started wearing varifocals 5 years ago. I had been using reading glasses from my local optician for a few years, but I began to notice by distance vision was no longer perfect.
I had been wearing them for a few days before playing golf in them and had no problems.
The thing I did notice was that all the trees got bigger and appeared to be closer, but the fairways did not seem wider.
New ones very recently as a test revealed what I had suspected - that my right eye distance vision had worsened.
Current specs are, Essilor ORMA Crizal Sapphire HR - whatever that may mean. I would be useless without them.
My brother had been wearing specs for decades and advised me against Specsavers and supermarkets.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been wearing specs for decades and Asda lenses are as good as any others I have had, even the top of the range Zeiss varifocals from optical express.