Varifocal glasses and golf

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Sorry can't really help ,been wearing varifocals for over 10 years and been no issues at all
I have worn them for years and only take them off when I go to bed. Golf has never been a problem.

Same as the above, never had a problem with them. I think that the gap between the distance & reading prescriptions is the problem. I can almost read without my specs & could just about drive without them. I can see the ball clearly when addressing it & putting is fine. I can imagine a problem if the bottom of the lens didn't allow me to see the ball clearly.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Been wearing varifocals for years, but when addressing the golf ball I had to have my chin on my chest to see the ball properly, this got in the way of rotation with shoulders etc.

Now I have a pair of distance specs for golf, so my chin is off the chest and I can rotate freely without breaking my neck.

Now to work on the rest of my game ??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When eyesight deterioration for reading meant I had to move from contact lenses to glasses I went verifocal lenses for them…but kept distance contact lenses for golf as I couldn’t get my head around what the varifocal lenses did when addressing the ball - even though I have good quality varifocals.

Each day I chooses to wear glasses or lenses according to how I feel first thing and what I will be doing during the day, but if I choose glasses will switch to distance lenses if later decide to play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never got on with varifocals for anything. As I bought them online I should have used the money back option.

Standard distance lenses for me. I tried several styles and ended up with pilot style as the most suited.

Mike79

Visit site
Well that didn’t go well.

3 points on the 1st. Had only managed to score another 4 points by the 8th. Putting was near impossible and the feeling of seasickness was too much.

Put the glasses away and managed 22 points from the remaining 10 holes.

These lenses aren’t working out for me ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have been wearing vari's for a number of years now, and the positioning of the "transition line" between reading and distance is the all important thing when playing golf.
My last four pairs of glasses has been from Asda Opticians of all places, as I got totally fed up with paying SpecSavers and Vision Express's prices.
On one pair at my previous fitting, I went for a design with particularly deep lenses and asked for the transition line to be lower than usual, these were to be my golf glasses.
They have performed superbly over the last few years, my go to glasses for golf.
I have recently been for a new prescription, not a lot of change, but decided on two new pairs. These were just two "normal" pairs for everyday use, one pair being polarised sunglasses.
I obviously kept my old "golf pair" safe and sound. But having just come back from a trip to Spain, I have mislaid them. Can't find them anywhere.
I cannot play in the new ones, when you look at the ball with them on, everything is distorted, and putting with them on is a joke.
I have got to get back to Asda and buy a new pair, specific for golfing.
So the answer is, a deeper lens with the transition line moved down.
And try Asda. Two pairs of varifocals for £160.00 rather than one pair for over £300.00 at one of the bigger places.
So the opposite of Dennis Taylor’s snooker glasses.
It stops your head dropping to see through your lenses and makes perfect sense.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Expensive glasses are a waste of money, especially when your vision changes for the first time as chances are it will change again within 12-18 months.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Been wearing varifocals since August last year. Got them from specsavers. Absolutely perfect for golf. Tried to get fit for contacts but could not get the distance bit right, especially for golf and driving in the dark.
I just wear the glasses all the time now but they're a pig in the rain.
Ordered a pair of sunglasses from an online retailer and they bring about the seasickness mentioned. I've adjusted the nose rests (or whatever they're called) but the spinny feeling persists albeit to a lesser extent.
Heard really good things about ASDA so will go there for my two pairs and sunglasses next time.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a slightly reduced power in one lens to help with reading and filling in score cards.
That is what my optician recommended.
I tried this. My optician called it monovision. Also known as blended vision I think.

Whilst it helped with the scorecard I felt it slightly compromised distance vision with the later being more important to me, so went back to a distance lens in each eye.

It’s funny, my mates rely on me to track their errant drives and often compliment me on my eyesight, even though they know it’s corrected by lenses, and worse than theirs in reality :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tried them a few years ago as, I'd gone from being short sighted and just had glasses for long distances, but struggled to see things close up and reading. Tried them once or twice just couldn't get used looking down. Stopped wearing them and now just take my glasses of if I need to read something. Thinking of getting a chain for them Larry Grayson style.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tried this. My optician called it monovision. Also known as blended vision I think.

Whilst it helped with the scorecard I felt it slightly compromised distance vision with the later being more important to me, so went back to a distance lens in each eye.

It’s funny, my mates rely on me to track their errant drives and often compliment me on my eyesight, even though they know it’s corrected by lenses, and worse than theirs in reality :)
This is me.?. With ‘blended’ I struggled with distance and assessing where my ball was going as it went off course into the rough…loss of stereoscopic distance vision I guess. So distance only. Mind you I have to remember to not buy a course planner for a new track as I can’t read it and can’t be bothered taking reading glasses onto the course.

YandaB

Visit site
This is me.?. With ‘blended’ I struggled with distance and assessing where my ball was going as it went off course into the rough…loss of stereoscopic distance vision I guess. So distance only. Mind you I have to remember to not buy a course planner for a new track as I can’t read it and can’t be bothered taking reading glasses onto the course.
Pop one of these in the page as a bookmark and you are good to go.

Mike79

Visit site
Slight update.... 10 days into life with glasses, I have got used to the transition in day-to-day activities, but golf is a complete no. The ball just sits in the transition line when addressing the ball and becomes blurry / floaty. I can read a putt but when I address the putt I see some odd curvature when I look along the line. When I go back to get the 2nd pair made up I will just get them with single vision lenses for distance

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just been in to Asda this afternoon and ordered two new pairs of distance glasses, both with a slight tint to the lenses. Got a nice blue framed pair and a nice, lightweight pair that are frameless. £140.00 all in.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Slight update.... 10 days into life with glasses, I have got used to the transition in day-to-day activities, but golf is a complete no. The ball just sits in the transition line when addressing the ball and becomes blurry / floaty. I can read a putt but when I address the putt I see some odd curvature when I look along the line. When I go back to get the 2nd pair made up I will just get them with single vision lenses for distance

Exactly the problem I had and the same solution.