VAR - Thoughts

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
im not sure Walton knew what he was saying, at best he was confused which player was which, at worst ......(censored by the threat of fragger)

I thought he was implying it was the guy who received the ball from the corner, which he can't be as he has received the ball directly from the corner... :unsure:

I didn't think Walton could be worse as a pundit than a referee; clearly I was wrong.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not a robot this VAR thing, it's still humans trying to implement stupid laws. The laws of football should be burnt and re-done. The offside law needs changing for a start. It's been a PITA forever. Far too complicated. I've got a way of sorting it, but no-one can understand it because it's a new idea and they apply the old way of looking at things to it. Yes I've had loads of discussions / heated rows trying to explain it so won't do it again. Players falling over and rolling about when blown on. Big girls they are.
VAR is a good thing. Had it been in place years ago England would have beaten Portugal in that QF? game and Germany in THAT game. How Frankies goal was disallowed will haunt me forever.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's not a robot this VAR thing, it's still humans trying to implement stupid laws. The laws of football should be burnt and re-done. The offside law needs changing for a start. It's been a PITA forever. Far too complicated. I've got a way of sorting it, but no-one can understand it because it's a new idea and they apply the old way of looking at things to it. Yes I've had loads of discussions / heated rows trying to explain it so won't do it again. Players falling over and rolling about when blown on. Big girls they are.
VAR is a good thing. Had it been in place years ago England would have beaten Portugal in that QF? game and Germany in THAT game. How Frankies goal was disallowed will haunt me forever.
Although, goal line technology would have saved Frankie's goal, and goal line technology has worked almost without fault.

Would VAR have disallowed any England goals and potentially stopped them from winning? Or allowed any opposition goals that were ruled out for offside wrongly? I guess it it swings and roundabouts. But, it seems to me, fans are so much angrier now after VAR makes the correct decision than they were when a referee got an instinctive call incorrect. It really is killing the flow and euphoria of football.

If it is here to stay, then you are right, the laws need to change so toe nails are not deemed to be offside or a slight brush of an arm is not handball if you score (yet bizarrely not handball in any other circumstance)

dronfield

Visit site
It has been an utter farce. I was for it initially as I hoped it would help stamp out diving; quite the opposite, it seems to endorse it as the Deulofeu incident against Chelsea proved. Worst of all in that incident the match referee got it right (imo) only for VAR to rear its ugly head.

It seems particularly adept at finding toenails offside (Mount v Liverpool, Pulisic v. Liverpool, Sheffield Utd v. Spurs?, etc) yet doesn't get wound back far enough to account for someone so far offside there's clear daylight (Salah v. Southampton). Can't seem to pick up goalkeepers a yard off their line when the penalty is taken (Adrian v. Chelsea). And as a match going fan it is a complete and utter disaster, completely sucking the life out of celebrations (Azpilicueta v. Ajax & v.Liverpool).

It should have been able to clear up issues & pick out the cheats; instead it is being completely & utterly discredited by what appears to be extremely subjective use. The fact that we are all discussing the screw ups rather than pointing out what an improvement it is says it all.

Us Blades are top of the VAR disallowed goals league, which includes two horrendous toe nail offside ones v Spurs and Man City.
VAR was brought in to correct ref howlers (similar to cricket), not to rule out "goals" after 5 mins of reviewing photo stills that prob werent accurate as to where a player was actually standing when the original pass to him was made!
It is here to stay, but needs a serious overhaul as to what it is actually to be used for.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone see the Willian incident; I didn’t have a clear view and wonder why there was no VAR check as those who did see it said possibly a penalty.

D

Deleted member 16999

Anyone see the Willian incident; I didn’t have a clear view and wonder why there was no VAR check as those who did see it said possibly a penalty.
One of those that could of gone either way.
One angle looked like Willian diving over outstretched leg, another possible contact.
To me he went looking for it, even if he’d of stayed on his feet he’d of never got the ball, he over hit and looked to play the defender.