VAR - Thoughts

Swango1980

Visit site
If a player, like Rice last night, has the ball brush their hand and then through on goal. Open net. I guess they might as well stop, try and keep possession, and take it from there. Because, the ref won't give it, only VAR IF the player scores. Question is, if the player stops themselves from scoring, how long can the team wait before they can try and score again?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a player, like Rice last night, has the ball brush their hand and then through on goal. Open net. I guess they might as well stop, try and keep possession, and take it from there. Because, the ref won't give it, only VAR IF the player scores. Question is, if the player stops themselves from scoring, how long can the team wait before they can try and score again?
Nobody knows even the ref is guessing.
It’s so poor.

Diamond

Visit site
VAR was a disgrace in the Champions League tie between spurs and Man City. It was then a disgrace for the same game between them at the start of the season. Nothing has changed its killing the emotion at being there live at the game. Now we’re half through the season every team has been affected and no one likes it. After this season I will not renew my season ticket. I am done with football and all in now with golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
Does anyone remember 2 years ago, when a Nantes player accidentally collided with the referee, at which point the referee then kicked out at the player. Incredibly, the ref gave the player a second yellow card and therefore a red card. I wonder how VAR would have treated that? I guess it would have done nothing, given that it was a yellow and not a straight red.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I realised yesterday that I now haven't watched a single game of football for two weeks. VAR (and a little bit of Spurs being rubbish if I'm honest) is actually putting me off the game. It's that level of frustration and helplessness when you watch yet another offside being given by a gnat's testicle when the players are level that I can't stand.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Does anyone remember 2 years ago, when a Nantes player accidentally collided with the referee, at which point the referee then kicked out at the player. Incredibly, the ref gave the player a second yellow card and therefore a red card. I wonder how VAR would have treated that? I guess it would have done nothing, given that it was a yellow and not a straight red.

Never heard of it until your post, but here it is;

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never really seen it working well in football. The pace of the game is a big factor. The sports where it works to a certain extent (rugby/cricket) have natural breaks in play to analyse any incident, football does not.

Then you have the method applied. In rugby the analysis is done by an official in the ground talking to the referee rather than in a call centre miles away. It is also, where possible, always looked at on the screen so the ref can give his input as well and make the final call.

In rugby, the question that the ref asks is also important. For example Try yes or no means that the ref is unsure and the benefit of the doubt goes to the defending team whereas asking is there any reason not to award a try means that the ref believes it has been scored and will award it if there is no obvious foul play or infringement.

The standards being applied are awful. If you cannot see something with the naked eye then VAR should not rule on it.

The handball rules are a joke at the moment anyway so not just VAR to blame for that one.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
VAR is getting ridiculous, just heard a story on the radio.Peter Crouch and missis Crouch had a birthday party for one of there kids. A parent was filming them when playing pass the parcel, and used VAR to see who had hold of the pressie when the music stopped The winner unwrapped the pressie ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
VAR endearing itself to the Wolves fans at Leicester again; they aren't backward in coming forward about their view, and in my opinion they're right, it's ruining the game.

And reading the laws of the game, the player who has apparently committed the offence commits no offence by the definition. Mind boggling.