VAR - Thoughts

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
BIM, as an ex goalie, thoughts on this one. My lad had trials Forsest and Notts County back in the day as a kid. He was told that if you have time to watch it you have time to move for it. De Gea watched it all the way, he moved in the initial direction of the shot. But never Moved his body, arms and legs after the deflection. Would you agree he had no chance of saving the deflection.

Tash me man, you are attributing an element of skill to BIM’s previous incarnation of a keeper of the goal.

In fact he’s so big he blocks the entire goal so therefore had little need to move :)

Sorry Richard, couldn’t resist ??

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tash me man, you are attributing an element of skill to BIM’s previous incarnation of a keeper of the goal.

In fact he’s so big he blocks the entire goal so therefore had little need to move :)

Sorry Richard, couldn’t resist ??

?? Big, more to love ?

So BIM could of saved it. Just think if BIM played for Utd, it would of been saved, no VAR and no infractions. ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
BIM, as an ex goalie, thoughts on this one. My lad had trials Forsest and Notts County back in the day as a kid. He was told that if you have time to watch it you have time to move for it. De Gea watched it all the way, he moved in the initial direction of the shot. But never Moved his body, arms and legs after the deflection. Would you agree he had no chance of saving the deflection.

Yes De Gea has committed to the right and was completely done by the deflection. No chance to recover. If your momentum is taking you one way sometimes you just can’t change direction. That was one of those times for me.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't know why, you seem to like talking about them a lot. Guess what, Chelsea are playing, and they're beating liverpool. I recommend watching that.

Do you realise how guilty you are of doing what you are castigating others for?

At least twice in 24 hours.

Take your own ill-conceived advice.(y)

Swango1980

Visit site
Do you realise how guilty you are of doing what you are castigating others for?

At least twice in 24 hours.

Take your own ill-conceived advice.(y)
Sorry, I didn't know this was the thread where non Man Utd fans came to moan about United. Still talking about a correct offside from a game 2 days ago that has no impact on their season.

But, sure, please continue. Also, for those that moaned that Son should have had a straight red (and not overturned) for the Gomes challenge. I am waiting for you to tell us Milner should have had a straight red for the tackle on Pedro tonight. I'd respect you if you showed a bit of consistency in your arguments

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't know this was the thread where non Man Utd fans came to moan about United. Still talking about a correct offside from a game 2 days ago that has no impact on their season.

But, sure, please continue. Also, for those that moaned that Son should have had a straight red (and not overturned) for the Gomes challenge. I am waiting for you to tell us Milner should have had a straight red for the tackle on Pedro tonight. I'd respect you if you showed a bit of consistency in your arguments

Son should have had a straight red for his tackle on Gomes. Milner should've had a straight red for his tackle on Pedro. Choudhury should've had a straight red for his tackle on Salah. IMO if you make a tackle where there is no intent to play the ball then you deserve a straight red.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You reply to my post, but dont reply to the subject matter.

Why are you castigating people for doing what you are consistently doing yourself?

......and then you go and do it again...... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D We've got a live one here, lads.(y)

Swango1980

Visit site
You reply to my post, but dont reply to the subject matter.

Why are you castigating people for doing what you are consistently doing yourself?

......and then you go and do it again...... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D We've got a live one here, lads.(y)
No, no. You misunderstand. I'm done explaining why offside was correct. And, if others want to continue banging their head against a wall trying to say otherwise, by all means go ahead. I was only trying to suggest it may be time to stop, as it may bring a bit of calm and peace to those that are still worrying about it. After all, they have their own teams to support and worry about.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
VAR will work but the managers, players and fans have to accept it.

Tuesday night, the top two teams in the NHL were playing, Tampa Bay and Boston. At 1-0 Bruins, the Lightning tied the scores but the play was challenged for offside. One player, not involved in the actual scoring, was about 10mm offside so the goal was waved off. No histrionics, a few boos, no player complaints - everyone just got on with it. Because those are the rules. The final score was 2-1 Boston but not once did anyone start blaming the officials or the replay for the decision "costing them the game".

There is probably no chance that managers, players and fans in football will ever accept VAR as it is an easy scapegoat for their own team's shortcomings. And therein lies the fault.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Tuesday night, the top two teams in the NHL were playing, Tampa Bay and Boston. At 1-0 Bruins, the Lightning tied the scores but the play was challenged for offside. One player, not involved in the actual scoring, was about 10mm offside so the goal was waved off. No histrionics, a few boos, no player complaints - everyone just got on with it. Because those are the rules. The final score was 2-1 Boston but not once did anyone start blaming the officials or the replay for the decision "costing them the game".

There is probably no chance that managers, players and fans in football will ever accept VAR as it is an easy scapegoat for their own team's shortcomings. And therein lies the fault.
The problem with the rules in football I guess is that a lot of them are not black and white, so many of them rely on interpretation and judgement of the officials. This is why even VAR can't provide 100% one way or the other. I think part of the problem with VAR is that they have tried to make it black and white when it never can be, so in the end the decisions on there have become way too clinical and it's unpalatable to the general football fan - and takes far too long into the bargain. All that was needed was to give the ref another chance to view incidents on a screen to help him make up his mind. It sounds so simple when you put it like that...

It's like that old analogy that the American space programme wasted millions of dollars and years of research & development to invent an anti-gravity pen that could write in space, while the Russians just used pencils. (I know it's a myth but I couldn't think of a better real-world analogy, ha.)

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Well on last night's evidence, no it won't work and fans will not accept it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

Major screw ups in all 3 of last nights games. The one in the Villa United game was an absolute joke. I'm not sure you can excuse Moss for getting that wrong real time; there is absolutely no defence of the VAR team. Fans of all teams including United fans can clearly see it is not a penalty. It is a foul on the Villa defender and, in my opinion, a yellow card for Fernandes for simulation. I'm sure the authorities will put the icing on the cake shortly by fining Dean Smith for his comments. The very thing I hoped VAR would help to stamp out it actually endorsed last night.

Unless they sort this mess out, RIP football.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will work, they just need to sort out who's running the system. Some of the people they have running and making the VAR decisions are not capable and are making poor decisions. The system would be great and a step forward for the game if the people using it knew what they were doing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will work, they just need to sort out who's running the system. Some of the people they have running and making the VAR decisions are not capable and are making poor decisions. The system would be great and a step forward for the game if the people using it knew what they were doing.
This completely. What do we golfers know about equipment? it's not the arrow................. The concept is fine, the pictures supplied are first class, it is the people making the decisions who are at fault. Improve the decision making, speed up the decision making and complaints against VAR will reduce significantly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This completely. What do we golfers know about equipment? it's not the arrow................. The concept is fine, the pictures supplied are first class, it is the people making the decisions who are at fault. Improve the decision making, speed up the decision making and complaints against VAR will reduce significantly.
I agree the concept is fine but how do you improve the decision making. The people making the decision are referees and so the best qualified (or so you'd think) but they aren't getting it right despite time to see it many times. How can it get better because it needs to. It isn't working acceptably often enough

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Neither of which will change the situation whereby I've given up celebrating goals in the ground because you're just waiting for VAR to chalk it off. And the complete inconsistency between matches & officials is beyond belief.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree the concept is fine but how do you improve the decision making. The people making the decision are referees and so the best qualified (or so you'd think) but they aren't getting it right despite time to see it many times. How can it get better because it needs to. It isn't working acceptably often enough
Perhaps it needs more than one person. Maybe it needs to go like the dubious goals panel and you have a small group, official plus one former player, looking at each game. The ref makes the ulitmate decision but the player can give their input as guidance.

I get your point, and BIM, it is a weakness in the pro VAR argument. I din't see the other games last night but the VAR backed the Southampton penalty and the non red card, both of which were clear wrong decisions to me, and to other refs over night. How to resolve bad off field decisions is pretty key but sharing the decison may help. Has to be worth a trial at least.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps it needs more than one person. Maybe it needs to go like the dubious goals panel and you have a small group, official plus one former player, looking at each game. The ref makes the ulitmate decision but the player can give their input as guidance.

I get your point, and BIM, it is a weakness in the pro VAR argument. I din't see the other games last night but the VAR backed the Southampton penalty and the non red card, both of which were clear wrong decisions to me, and to other refs over night. How to resolve bad off field decisions is pretty key but sharing the decison may help. Has to be worth a trial at least.
More people, that seems to be the problem in football too many people. We have assistant referees, many won’t step in when a decision is obviously wrong, a ref who uses VAR as an excuse not to make a decision and a highly played ref on the sidelines whos only job appears as to be to hold a board up and now a person sat in a studio somewhere taking an age and still comes up with a poor decision.
Get back to three guys running around the pitch, if they make a wrong decision so be it, people make mistakes. That’s how lower league football is played. All that happens now is football pays more to make the same mistakes. It’s a refs association money making scam.