Using ex-demo 7i head - any issues

8lowsy

Visit site
I lost my 7i and would like to order a replacement head from eBay.

Is there any issue with ordering an ex-demo head that has the screw in the back for easy shaft switching? I had my irons custom made and I notice that they don't have the demo club screw, so would there be any issue with using one?7i.jpg

Albo

Visit site
It should be ok in and of itself, but will it fit the rest of your set shaft wise?
I’d also want to get loft and lie checked on it to ensure it’s not been altered or knocked out of kilter

8lowsy

Visit site
I'm buying the head and will take it along to my fitter to get it matched with the correct shaft, lie adjusted etc etc.
The issue is Mizuno don't make the JPX 921s any more, so the fitter was struggling to find a head (esp. being a leftie).

So, my question is: Assuming that I can get the shaft and other specs matched up to the rest of my irons, is there an issue using a demo head (with screw) long-term in the bag (for example, is it more likely to come off or move out of alignment than a 'permanent' clubhead).

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't think there would be any more of an issue using it than that of using a driver that can be adjusted. (As long as it isn't adjusted during play) If the screw is torqued up correctly it shouldn't move and if it does then a dab of torque seal should fix that.

8lowsy

Visit site
Thanks, appreciate the responses. I'm sure you're right. I've obviously e-mailed the fitter to check, but wondered if anyone had any experience of long-term use of an "adjustable" / ex-demo head in this way.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are looking to have the club reshafted it may be that the hosel is built inside in such a way that it will not allow a normal shaft to be fitted. As an example...some of the early shaft fitting systems, that allowed shafts to be changed over quickly, used a hosel that was grooved down its length and the shaft had an adaptor that slid into these grooves...usually though the screw connection came in from the bottom straight up into the shaft...I've never seen one where the screw holding the shaft in place came in from the side.

I would be surprised if the screw was not the only way of holding the shaft in a fixed position in the head. It could well be the case that the shaft inside the hosel is "shaped" in some way that prevents the shaft from twisting in the head and the screw is merely to hold the shaft and head together. As a result, you may find that a normal shaft might not fit in the hosel.

Assuming however that a normal shaft does fit....I would want it glued in place, rather than rely on the screw to hold it in position.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, appreciate the responses. I'm sure you're right. I've obviously e-mailed the fitter to check, but wondered if anyone had any experience of long-term use of an "adjustable" / ex-demo head in this way.
given the vast majority of drivers in use use something similar I doubt there will be a problem provides ,as already said, it has been torqued correctly.

Some manufacturers actually use a different shaft in the demo heads to allow for the demo head fitting eg I have seen an 8 iron shaft in a 7 iron demo club.

It is worth taking the shaft out of the head and checking against your other clubs and seeing how the adapter fits in the shaft and how it locks in to place on the head

Having just recently bought and sold some JPX21s I got a demo club from golfclubs forcash.

You can very often see demo shafts on ebay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a quick look on ebay.

There are demonstrator 7 irons listed.

Bare in mind that you do not have to have the right head just the right shaft as all Mizuno clubs will use the same system.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely you need a demo shaft as well or it won't fit? Does your fitter have the right one and is he willing to give it up? Does he not need it for fittings?