Used iron recommendations

Dannylfc86

Visit site
Hi all,

I've been playing for about a year and have been sharing irons with a friend and it's time to buy my own irons. I have a budget of around £300 and I'd prefer some forgiving used irons. I don't have a handicap, but I definitely fall into the newbie category so I'd like some irons that I can grow into and will last a few years and I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Many thanks in advance

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The standard answer is Ping G series. For your budget look at G25, G30 or even G400. G25 are the oldest option so if you can get the newer version, G30 or G400, then all the better.

There are plenty of callaway or taylormade options but you can't go wrong, in your position with the Pings.

Dannylfc86

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have been recommended G30s before, they come it all sorts of degrees by colour code though so I've been looking for the standard black dot. Don't know how much difference the degrees will actually make though at my level.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
https://webfit.ping.com/

Try this. It looks as if you will have to register, but it will give you a better idea about what you should be looking for. It won't help with club selection as it only recommends new clubs, but it will guide you towards lie colour, grip size etc.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I ended up with a yellow dot set of G25's on the basis that I could get the lie amended. In the end I hit them okay so left them alone.

If you Google alter Ping lie, or similar, then you will see suggestions. It seems to be relatively simpleto do. Equally you may find the set you buy work for you without doing anything to them.

Dannylfc86

Visit site
I am either black or red in that region. I'll look around. Been looking on ebay, Facebook market, golfbidder and golfclubs4cash. Are there any other sites?

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Instead of used why dont you go for a new (and fitted) set of pxg 0211's? They are great irons and very forgiving. £65 an iron now so you could get five with a shaft that suits you etc.

Dannylfc86

Visit site
Instead of used why dont you go for a new (and fitted) set of pxg 0211's? They are great irons and very forgiving. £65 an iron now so you could get five with a shaft that suits you etc.

I didn't consider new irons tbf but if they're not too expensive it's definitely a possibility. I only need 5 or 6 - pw as I cant hit a 4 iron or 5 iron really

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you could get 6-pw brand new for £325 including the fitting on the pxg's. Ive played ping g30s also and they are great irons, but for me id take new clubs in a fitting every day over a used set you have never hit given they'll be about the same price.

Steviefella

Visit site
Yup, I would try the PXG 0211 route. Nice feel, sound and forgiving, at the same time good looking irons, which don’t look chunky or too game improvementy.
I got them in Elevate shaft, stiff flex and midsize grip. Made an inch longer and not a penny more.

Dannylfc86

Visit site
Thanks all for your help. I'm thinking 6-pw. I've already got a 56 degree so would need to get a 48 or 50 to bridge the gap as pw is 42 degree

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup, I would try the PXG 0211 route. Nice feel, sound and forgiving, at the same time good looking irons, which don’t look chunky or too game improvementy.
I got them in Elevate shaft, stiff flex and midsize grip. Made an inch longer and not a penny more.
How long did your order take ?